5.0 out of 5 stars Another Entertaining Programme Bites The Dust
The seventh Lewis series has given immense enjoyment. Unfortunately this is the last. Screen-writers and cast (I suspect the latter) have called it a day. We are left with filmed legacy of an expertly produced project. Lewis ('call me Robbie'), has Kevin Whatley being the obsessive never-go-home detective masking any social life and memories. Alongside is the erudite...
Published 17 months ago by ACB (swansea)

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed
I had high expectations of series 7, but was slightly disappointed. These final 3 episodes had a "tired" feeling about them and they were not up to the standard of the previous 6 series. Nevertheless, this was one of the better crime series from the U.K. and I am sorry to see it go.
Published 16 months ago by J. A. W. Koers

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars First class police series, 1 May 2013
James Bowen "historian" (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lewis - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
My wife and I thoroughly enjoy the Lewis police mysteries and we have acquired all seven series. I began to suspect that the series might be coming to an end when the romantic attachment between Lewis and Dr Laura Hobson reached the stage of locked eyes and holding hands. We will miss this series greatly. The characters are easy to like and the mysteries are totally absorbing. Set these factors against the marvellous scenery of Oxford and what more could you demand of a police series?

4.0 out of 5 stars Lewis - series 7, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Lewis - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of my favorite series. I like above all the special atmosphere of Oxford and the relationship between the two main characters but I am a little disappointed because there are only 3 episodes in this series and I understand there will be no more....

5.0 out of 5 stars Lewis Series 7: Intelligent rambling among the fearful, 20 Feb 2013
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lewis - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
At last, the seventh, and sadly possibly the last, series of Lewis, for my money the best crime drama on telly at the moment.

In three leisurely investigations Lewis and Hathaway investigate murders in Oxford by strolling round and interviewing a roster of well known British character actors whilst admiring the scenery and dodging the dropping bodies. What the series lacks in pace it more than makes up for in charm. Once again the backbone of the series is the chemistry between Whatley and Fox as Lewis and Hathaway, they are a real joy to watch as they wander around the dreaming spires. There is a feeling of finality with the series, with the ongoing will they/won't they question between Lewis and Hobson finally resolved, and much talk of resignations and retirement in the third episode. I would be sad to see this finish, given the improvement in script quality over the somewhat incomprehensible series 6 I feel there is life in the old detective yet.

There are three episodes on 2 discs. Originally broadcast as two parters, each adventure has been edited into one ninety minute episode for DVD release.

All in all 5 stars for this release of top quality crime drama.

5.0 out of 5 stars The End of an Era for some of the finest tv drama we have ever seen., 11 Feb 2013
Mr. P. J. R. LEWIS (Llandudno N Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lewis - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
Reviewing this magnificent series on the morning of February 11th 2013 when the final episode of possibly the last instalment in the Lewis series goes to air

I was particularly sad when due to illness and the eventual death of John Thaw that the incredible Inspector Morse series came to an end, and like with all television classics we just hoped there would be a sequel to that remarkable series.

It took some while for me to realise that "Lewis" was a class act, and not until the release of the box set did I realise what I had been missing, that was the same for my all time favourite " Foyles War", I forgot to watch most of the episodes when first televised, and blessed the BBC when they released the box set.

Like I have said before in another review ,not every episode of Morse was an out and out classic, some were slightly disappointing , but that cannot be said about the "Lewis" series.

Maybe one or two episodes were not quite up to the remarkable standard, Counter Culture Blues still had great acting, an interesting plot and the magic partnership of Fox and Whately, but it was only good television, not the remarkable tv associated with the entire Lewis drama.

From episode one to this final instalment, everything including plot and storyline was of the highest order, taking the ideas for plot straight from the Morse formula and still for me it ranks as some of the best tv I've seen on ITV, since the likes of Morse and The Sweeney.

When Kevin Whately arrived in a new series titled "Lewis" we could never have imagined that we would see a series to rival and probably surpass Morse, but every single episode of Lewis was drama of the highest quality with Whately and Laurence Fox making the entire series a great viewing treat.

We can all guess what will happen in tonight's final instalment, Lewis has hinted on retirement and if this is to be the very final episode of this long running series then what a great way to end, in the arms of his new found love Dr Laura Hobson.

The drawing to an end of their partnership with the final few minutes in the last episode where Hathaway has self doubt and decides on handing in his notice are beautifully presented and really was a superb ending to this remarkable series.

Likewise I thought those final few moments in the pub garden contrasted ever so well with Lewis relationship with Morse, all the important decisions were discussed over a pint, and for Lewis to say to Hathaway " Call me Robbie" was a classic ending, at no time in their relationship had they become so close so this could be the last time we will see both Lewis and Hathaway together, and for them to go their own separate ways after so long together as firm friends was special indeed.

Thankfully none of the principal actors have been killed off so there is a slim chance we may see a few more episodes, but at over 2m an episode, Lewis is very expensive tv for Uk standards.

Kevin Whately has been involved with this drama for nearly thirty years and most actors would wish for the formula to continue, but production costs are extremely high so maybe series7 will be the last.

Really there is no way back, that is officially the end of two amazing decades of crime drama, first Morse and its sequel Lewis.

They will remain classics for many years to come and I cannot imagine any series equalling them for entertainment value.

Few box sets will remain as must have classics, Morse & Lewis can be watched again and again, and we can marvel at some of the best drama seen on our sets.

Thank You ITV for some truly magnificent tv, drama that will remain in our memories for many years to come.

We all wish Robbie and Laura all the best for the future, and I am sure Hathaway will return to his Theological background.

There ends possibly the finest tv we are likely to see for some considerable time, and if any future comparable series continues for season after season they will always be judged against what has gone before, and its an almost impossible task to surpass the Morse,Lewis formula.

5.0 out of 5 stars As Morse said: thank Lewis for me, 6 July 2013
This review is from: Lewis - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
Alas, it looks like Inspector Lewis will be retiring at the end of season six, and his patient manner of policing will come to an end as the curtain is drawn over the series.

As I sit with a pint of best bitter in front of my TV and the end titles of "Intelligent Design", the last episode in the series, scroll to a weary closure, I realize that I have spent over *twenty years* with with Morse and Lewis, for I have been acquainted with them since the 1980s, and they along with Jean Innocent and James Hathaway and Chief Superintendent Strange have regularly entered my home as friends and consorted with me, allowing me to observe them in the vicissitudes of their jobs and lives -- much like 'take your kid to work' day, except on multiple days every year for two decades.

And alas, now that will end.

Much as Lewis missed his wife after she died, with a shallow lingering scar of sorrow but without any trace of cloying sentimentality, so shall I miss this show. And since Oxford has been described as the "city of dreaming spires", it is but natural that I ask myself,

What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

But before I can turn too maudlin and reach for the Glenfiddich, I hear a voice in my ear. "But cheer up laddie", I hear Lewis say with his quiet Geordie air, "there's always 'Endeavour' to watch on the telly now."

And so there is, Robbie. So there is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than "Morse", 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Lewis - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
It may be heresy to say this, but I think "Lewis" is superior to "Inspector Morse". Sometimes Morse could be a bit too much, but Lewis and Hathaway are perfect. Kevin Whately and Laurence Fox have great chemistry and this combined with intelligent writing makes "Lewis" one of my all time favorites shows. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars but he absorbed a lot of Morse`s intellect while still staying a good honest non-nonsense Geordie, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Lewis - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
My DVD case is filling up with Lewis and Endeavour. Lewis is still so true to the character he had when he was Morse`s right-hand-man, but he absorbed a lot of Morse`s intellect while still staying a good honest non-nonsense Geordie. James Hathaway contributes the academic character here but he never tries to belittle Lewis - they make a great team beautifully acted by Kevin Whately and Laurence Fox. As always Oxford is so beautiful and the continuity team are so good at getting it right for the period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Lewis - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
Well crafted stories focusing on the characters, not the crimes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally Lewis choses for love again, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Lewis - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
As Always just very good again. I thought it was the last Lewis, but I learned their are more in the making!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Lewis - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
massive fan and it arrived earlier than stated thanks

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›

Lewis - Series 7 [DVD]
Lewis - Series 7 [DVD] by Kevin Whately (DVD - 2013)
7.60