Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 July 2013
Doesn't reach the heights of the past. Oceania is the stand out song, the rest are slightly below average for the Pumpkins
on 23 July 2012
I think I might be in the minority but I found early Pumpkins albums like Gish to be over rated. My first ever Pumpkins album was Adore and it still remains one of my favourites of any artist. Over the years I listened to all the others but they never seemed to match Adore for its ethereal beauty.

Having read the good reviews of Oceania I decided to give it a go. Unfortunately Billy Corgan is one of those artists who will never suit everybody, partly because he tends to change direction album by album and those like me don't like the next one having loved the last one.

Oceania is a lovely record. The more I listen to it the more I like it, Adore part 2 but with a bit of added heavy guitar. I am going to enjoy this one just in case I don't like the follow up !!
on 30 June 2012
As a big Pumpkins fan I was sceptical about this new album but I have to say after a few listens I'm really, really liking it.

I missed out all the Pumpkins post Mellon Collie so I don't know what Corgan has put out but he seems to have recaptured what we all know and love about the Pumpkins even without the original line up which I didn't think would be possible due to Jimmy Chamberlin's amazing drum parts.

For me the standout track has to be Panopticon which has that lovely Cherub Rock like drive to it, the rest of the album also stands up well.

Definately reccomended
on 2 November 2014
excellent 5 stars
on 4 February 2013
Sorry weak little review this. I feel that my music reviews always pale a little when compaired to others.

However I did just want to add my voice to praise for this album, really who would have believed any artists so long in the tooth and prolific as the pumpkins could still sound so fresh. Though I would also say this album has a sheen of long practiced accomplishment. So while i think this could thrill new fans there is a lot of depth for the original fan or just older listener to enjoy.

buy it quick but listen to it for long time. (maybe as long as melancholy?)
on 21 June 2012
It seems that Corgan has relaxed at last and with the help of the new band members he's crafted an album that is a return to the form of old. I don't mean rehashing an old album but the level of quality has improved immeasurably since the awful Zeitgeist, the album is better than Adore, and on a par with Mellon Collie and Machina. Instead of trying to focus on a 'concept' album or cryptic hidden ideas that even he isn't sure what it's supposed to be he's just focused on creating some great songs that fit together to make a great album. At last he's stuck to what he's good at ;)
77 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2013
this album has the old style pumpkins sound, love it. recommended to daughter and she loves it too! good buy
on 10 December 2014
Mediocre songs drowned in terrible synthesiser parts. No guitar inspiration in these parts. It's a tragedy.
on 10 September 2012
I read reviews on other sites that this album was a return to form. Not in my eyes.

The first listen while I was working was nothing ground-shaking. I only bothered to look up the name of 1 song.
The second listen also while working I picked out the lyric "I'm gonna love you 101%" in one song and couldn't get over it.
The third listen with a friend and this time paying attention uncovered it as a CD etched with disappointment. Almost every track on the album has something really good and really promising about it, and not one of them delivers.
It lacks energy, or intelligence in the lyrics. The guitars are flat, using the same tone and no dynamics through most of the album.

If Machina was an OK album, and Zeitgeist was a disappointment, do yourself a favour and stick to the classic albums and try to pretend this one never happened.
on 23 June 2012
Billy's come up with another superb CD. It's as good as Zeitgeist and is reminiscent of Zwan.Great tunes abound with synths adding to the usual guitars. Love it!