Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

Miranda is back this year with another fantastic read When I Fall in Love, this lady continually brings us stunning covers containing beautiful storylines you have got to love her.

Elsie Maynard never expected to be starting again...

...but eighteen months on from the biggest challenge of her life, she is doing just that -because she made a promise to the person who believed in her the most. Determined to step into her uncertain future, Elsie meets handsome Oliver Hogarth, who seems intent on winning her heart; she inadvertently founds a choir, and overcomes obstacles - most of which involve arrogant Torin Stewart. Then a heartfelt request brings her to Paris - and the final item on `The List' that she never dared complete.

Can Elsie follow her heart and put her past to rest?

I loved our heroine in this book, Elsie has just had the toughest eighteen months of her life but she now has to take the steps to start building a new life. Out of all of the storylines Miranda has brought us this is the one that touched my heart the most. Elsie has an edge of vulnerability about her but after finding out what it is that has occurred in her life you actually think how well she is coping and you can't help but hope that with each step she takes in building her new life she will start to mend her heartache and start to find happiness. She is a very selfless character and is instantly loveable.

I have to say this is one of the rare books where I loved each and individual character in this book from members of the Maynard family who really show the meaning of family support, to each member of Elsie's new venture all who are very different from each other and bring a something different to the storyline.
I loved both Torin and Oliver who were our male characters and I never quite knew all the way through who if either of them Elsie would open her heart to. Miranda's descriptive writing is back again giving us a mini tour of Paris which has made me rather excited about my trip there for New Year now.

It is quite clear that Miranda has brought her own personal interests in music and singing into this book and I think that is why the book flows so well because it was so natural for her to right about something that is a great interest to her. I was hoping that there would be a little hint of festivity in this book but unfortunately there wasn't any, and yet I still thoroughly enjoyed this touching read.

A very emotional and moving read that I highly recommend.
on 11 November 2012
Miranda Dickinson has spun her magic again with When I Fall In Love, an emotional tale of hope after adversity.

It's hard to write a review without giving too much away, especially this one, but it's fair to say the last eighteen months have been tough for Elsie but with the love and support of her wonderful family, dad Jim, Sisters Daisy and Guin and her close friend and boss Cher, she is starting to look forward to a brighter future.

After an impromptu piano session, whilst at a cafe with sister Daisy, brings about a chance encounter with 80s rock singer Woody Jenson, she soon finds herself in the midst of setting up a singing group with him... the unlikeliest mix of people you could imagine, including youngsters Lewis, Danny and Aoife, loud-mouthed Sasha, timid Sheila, butcher Graeme, taxi driver Stan and the 'grandmother' of the group Irene who intuitively knows just the right thing to say at the right time.

And before too long she's taking the tentative steps towards dating again when she agrees to go on a double-date with Cher, as well as agreeing to go on a date set up by her dad Jim.

It's extremely rare for me to read a book and love all the characters in it and I have to confess I did try to find something about one of them to hate but there simply wasn't an evil bone amongst them all. From the delightful Maynard family, friend Cher, potential love interests Olly and Torin, to the members of The Sundaes especially Woody, they each had their own loveable qualities that brought the story to life.

Having read all of Miranda's previous books I had high hopes for this book and I wasn't disappointed, it's fair to say I think that this is her best book to date as I loved it from the start. It's a beautifully written story that will draw you in and you'll soon find yourself laughing at the antics, especially those involving Woody, and if you're a softie like me, shed a tear or two with Elsie.
VINE VOICEon 11 January 2013
This is the first book by Miranda Dickinson that I've read, and based on that, I'll definitely be checking out her other titles.

When I Fall in Love is based in Brighton, with a jaunt to Paris, which I confess is what made me buy the book. Any book with Paris on the cover, and I'm sold.

This is the story of Elsie Maynard, a young woman who is starting life again. She overcame a huge challenge eighteen months ago, and a person that means a lot to her is desperate for her to move on with her life, and be happy. Because of that, Elsie is determined not to let them down.

What follows is a funny, heartrending tale of love, loss and adventure. I loved everything about this book; the writing style, the plot, the characters, the settings... it was just brilliant.

When I Fall in Love made me laugh, it made me cry, and it made me add the rest of Miranda's books to my wishlist. Recommended if you enjoy romantic novels with humour thrown in.
on 14 December 2012
Having read and enjoyed all of this authors previous books it was a bit of a no-brainer that I would buy this one. As with all Miranda's books the cover was gorgeous and I was looking forward to jumping into her latest creation.

Wow! I've always loved this authors writing style so I was pretty confident that I would enjoy the book, but I was surprised that I felt so connected to the storyline when I haven't been through it myself. Tears didn't just fall - they poured as this wonderful story took me to places I had never thought of. I didn't only feel sadness though, there was laughter, shock and happiness all rolled up in one fabulous book!

I was laughing out loud by page two - what a great start! I was keen to find out exactly what had happened eighteen months previously to stop Elsie dating, I was just as keen to find out the meaning of `The List' and the lovely little notes. Once I understood what they were all about I filled up with tears every time a new one came up.

Elsie was a wonderfully warm character who I liked straight away, I loved the closeness of her family and I quickly felt like I was a part of it too. A spontaneous singing moment that had me smiling from ear to ear was an important turning point for Elsie and I couldn't wait to see where it would take her.

I can't write this review without mentioning Woody, he was such a fantastic character (one of my favourites in fact). I would say to watch out for him when you read it but the truth is you won't be able to miss him because he is so vibrant! I found him very easy to visualise and regularly laughed out loud at the things he said:

"We'll be like undercover agents for the forces of music: choir ninjas, if you will."

I was completely torn between the two main male characters, I kind of fell in love with them both and couldn't decide who would be best for Elsie.

The choir was another great part of this book and I thoroughly enjoyed following their progress, one of my favourite choir moments came during a performance - an 84-year-old member finished the show with some awesome air-guitar moves!

Paris was lovely and also the cause of most of my tears, there was a particularly heartbreaking moment that had me sobbing - it was written beautifully and I was so caught up in Elsie's life that I just couldn't stop crying.

At the end of the story I got to read the actual `List' and I thought this was a lovely way to end the book as it made me smile before I closed it.

This was a captivating tale that really touched my heart in a completely unexpected way.
on 27 November 2012
First and foremost When I Fall in Love, though you'd definitely think as much from the very festive and lovely cover art, is not a Christmas themed book. In fact, not a single part of it is set in December. What it is is a gorgeous story about moving on from a great loss and discovering life and how to love once again, and it definitely has that magical feeling. When I Fall in Love is the kind of book that can be read and enjoyed at any time of year and as such would make a perfect Christmas present for chick lit readers.

When I Fall in Love is actually the first of Miranda Dickinson's novels I have read but I'm definitely a convert. The warmth of her writing is simply amazing and her sense of humour makes me feel right at home. She also happened to get something in my eye once or twice.. how that happened is beyond me. It was just dust I swear.

The characters in the novel really make the story what it is. Miranda has written side characters with as much life as the heroine, including characters that make just a small cameo, and without overburdening us with too much information either. They really give us a well rounded story and I loved every moment of Cher's dating exploits and ice cream experiments in her little retro ice cream café, Woody's bizarre quips and speeches but ever-present minuscule fanbase from his 15 minutes of fame in the 80′s, and Torin's sporadic appearances. I did find the way Elsie treated Torin quite annoying, if I'm honest. Every time they met, he was nothing but kind but she would take something the wrong way and an argument would ensue but I have to admit that I loved the other part of Elsie that we saw whenever she was around him. To everybody else she was nothing but sweet but he brought out her passion. And I couldn't stop laughing at Elsie and her sister's trip to `that European furniture store'. I'm not saying why though, that would spoil the fun, but I had to mention it.

While there are some sad parts, that's inevitable with a story about recovering yourself from a great loss, When I Fall in Love is altogether an uplifting novel that I'd be happy to read by the fire or on the beach. Elsie is a lovely character and I just wanted the best for her all along. I'm also very tempted to see how many items from The List I can complete before my fiancé completely disowns me for being an embarrassing weirdo.
on 9 December 2012
I was so excited about Miranda Dickinson's latest novel, having been lucky enough to receive a sneak-preview chapter from her in the post; I was desperate to read the rest! I so pleased to find that book number four from this lovely author delivered her usual mix of optimism, cake and of course romance, the perfect recipe! Although the cover might suggest a Christmasey or even a wintery novel, don't be fooled, none of this book is set in December! When I fall in Love follows Elsie eighteen months on from the death of her husband and her dealings with her best friend Cher, a new choir project and two possible new love interests. Elsie is such a lovely character. She seems too innocent and open for someone who has lost their husband at such a young age... `I was loved by the most amazing guy in the world for eight wonderful years. Most people don't get to enjoy that kind of love their whole lives. I count myself as one of the lucky few'. She has the typical optimism of one of Dickinson's characters, and you find yourself willing her to open her heart and find love again, all the way through the book.

The story centres around Elsie's dealings with a new choir she has started with a local, aging rocker. This was unchartered territory for me but I found it to be a really nice hook into the storyline, and it leads to the introduction of several new characters, each of whom add depth to the storyline and come with their own brand of love and sweetness. The addition of Elsie's family is also really lovely because it makes the whole novel feel like a comfortable cosy night in surrounded by friends and family. The two male characters vying for Elsie's attention are equally well-developed and seemingly couldn't be more different from one another, and I think that this was vital for the structure of the storyline. `I want to make you feel cared for all the time...and I know were taking it slowly and you've had things you wanted to deal with, but I just want you to know that you only have to say the word and...I'll be there'.

The setting of the novel was really well described, having never been to Brighton, I really felt like I got to know the town and was wandering through its streets with Elsie and the other characters, and of course, Paris was also as elaborately described, and given the level of romance befitting of Miranda Dickinson's writing. Obviously the book deals in some part with death, and so I did shed a few tears, but there were also parts of the book that made me laugh, especially when Elsie and her sister take a trip to a Swedish furniture store in Croydon, `Croydon? Who goes to Croydon for anything?' A lovely thing is that at the end of the book, the reader is given a bonus, a list of the messages that Elsie's late husband left for her. I defy even the coldest of hearts not to be warmed by this list, and indeed the whole of the book for that matter. Even if you haven't read any of Miranda Dickinson's previous novels, you will be certain to enjoy this one, and most probably want to acquire her others as soon as you finish it. A truly lovely novel!
on 1 December 2012
What is on the secret list Elsie Maynard carries with her everywhere? What is the tragedy in her past that denies her from moving on? And where in Paris can you get creamy artichoke soup with crunchy slices of stonebaked baguette? These questions and many more will have been answered by the time you put down Miranda Dickinson's latest novel, When I Fall In Love. It's a story that not only takes you on a geographical journey from Brighton to Paris, but an emotional journey, too - and one with a surprisingly affecting punch.

Elsie's world is filled with warm, likeable characters you'll want to spend more time with. The members of her choir, The Sundaes, in particular are a colourful, eccentric bunch, each of whom has a story to tell and a defining role in the emotional quest Elsie pursues. A less assured writer might have shied away from establishing such a large cast, let alone the numerous elements Dickinson packs into the book. Heartache, sisterly-love, childbirth, death, dating, and, of course, romance - it's all here, but handled with such a light touch that the plot never gets muddled and the warmth of the situations and characters shine through every page. Miranda Dickinson balances the sentiment and humour with a deft touch that draws the reader deeper into the mystery of The List at the centre of the story - a mystery I won't give away, but can guarantee will touch you.

If you're looking for an entertaining, witty read with a big heart, you'd do no better than look here. When I Fall In Love might just make you join a choir and book a ticket to Paris. Who knows what might happen if you do?

Review by Jamie Simpson on behalf of BestChickLit.com
Miranda Dickinson brings us an emotional and heart warming tale that will have you reaching for the tissues.

Elsie Maynard is starting again after a difficult 18 months. Its time to face new challenges and keep a promise she made to someone very special.
But through keeping the promise Elsie will travel on a rollercoaster of emotions that will have us laughing, crying and smiling.

Join the wonderfully loveable characters of `When I Fall in Love' as we experience Elsie starting over.

When an impromptu song at a local cafe brings former 80′s rock star Woody into Elsie's life, little does she realise how much the choir the two of them are about to form will change her life.

Throughout the story we meet Elsie's lovely family and discover the close relationship she shares with her dad Jim and sisters Daisy and Guin.
As well as watch her form new friendships with members of the choir and then of course there is her steps back into the dating world with Olly and Torin.
And I don't want to forget Elsie's wonderful friend and boss Cher, who on several occasions left my mouth watering with her ice cream creations!

The story is set in Brighton and with the wonderful place descriptions at times I felt as though I was walking the streets of Brighton eating a Sundae and Cher creation.
I love Miranda's style of writing and found that within every page I was swept up in the story from Brighton to Paris I was there every step of the way.
Which probably explains why at times I was teary eyed.

I don't want to say anymore because one of the things that make this story so special is the secret within and bribe me all you like but I'm not telling you what that is.

I chose `When I Fall in Love' for Inspiration Week because Elsie has experienced a painful past and throughout the book she challenges herself even if she is scared of what may happen.

C'est magnifique inspiration!
on 26 November 2012
Elsie Maynard is slowly moving forward with her life. It is a new start for Elsie, a new beginning, something she had never expected but now she had accepted it. Elsie puts together a choir with the help of former 80's rock star Woody Jenson and this is when the adventure starts in her new life. She meets Torin Stewart in awkward circumstances and after that he seems to have a knack of turning up in Elsie's life unexpectedly and it is happening more and more much to Elsie's annoyance. Not like Olly Hogarth who she finds the opposite to Torin, charming and easy to get along with. Olly makes his feelings clear to Elsie, but before Elsie can fully move on with her life, it will take a surprise trip to Paris for Elsie to overcome her past and let go.

Set in Brighton and in Paris, When I Fall in Love is a delightful, heart-warming romantic tale that will touch your heart. Although written in a warm and witty way, there is sadness to the story that intrigues the reader, slowly the story reveals the reasons behind this sadness and you really do feel and care about the character Elsie and all she as gone through. There are some very uplifting moments in the book too. I have to say this book is not what I expected it was even better than that. So why not have a read, you will not be disappointed.
on 21 December 2012
Last year, It Started with a Kiss was one of my favourite books so I was thrilled to receive a copy of Miranda Dickinson's latest book 'When I Fall in Love' to review.

Elsie Maynard has suffered a terrible tragedy and is just beginning to put her life back together. She is working at 'Sundaes and Cher' a local ice cream parlour in Brighton when an unexpeced event leads her to meet ex-rockstar Woody Jensen.

Elsie is such a great heroine, she is witty, kind and a very strong person. I actually liked all of the characters and felt that Dickinson drew them all into the plot very well. I loved the descriptions of Brighton and Paris; the beauty and vibrancy of these cities is really brought to life in the novel.

This is a wonderful, heart warming novel packed full of moments that will have you laughing out loud. Have your tissues on hand though as there are a few tear jerking moments too. The cover is beautiful too!

I think this is my favourite book by Miranda Dickinson so far - highly recommended.