Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.49

on 21 April 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Choc full of fantastic recipes for chocolate lovers. This hardback book is beautifully presented, scattered with pictures of chocolate filled delights and easy to follow recipes.

The book is divided into 7 main areas...

'Chocolate basics' includes chocolate delights such as Chantilly cream, sauces, ganache, and sweet crust pastries

'Breakfast & brunch' recipes include muffins, Churros, Waffles, Floating Islands, cookies, and tarts

'Teatime or Anytime' includes Eclairs, Cupcakes, Brownies, Cakes, Tiffins, and Cheesecakes

'Treats' recipes include Mousse, Truffles, Madeleines, Rice Pudding, Milkshakes, and Flapjacks

'Feeding Friends' includes Chocolate soup, Crème Brulee, Fondants, Tarts, Trifles, Parfaits, and Martinis. This section extends through to main meals such as Rabbit Ragu, Gu-Lash, Chocolate Venison Raviole, and Pork Mole

'Special Days & Holidays' begins with Cheesecakes, Fondue, Profiteroles, and Cakes through to Monkfish, Blinis, Duck on Polenta, and Scallops

'Chocolate Extremists' can learn to temper chocolate, and create bubble wrap effects. In addition recipes include Millefeuille, Macaroons, Chocolate stuffed crust pizza, Chocolate and Bacon Croque Monsieur, and Chicken in a cocoa crust.

The recipes are original, exciting, and extremely delicious. Fantastic for entertaining friends with unique culinary delights. A must have for any chocolate lover or for those who enjoy cooking with a twist.
VINE VOICEon 22 April 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a die hard chocolate lover, everything about this book instantly appealed to me. What's not to love?

The whole book has a look of decadence about it. It's full of dark, interesting pictures and bold pinks and black accents. The pictures tend to be full page and while there's a lot, there isn't quite a picture for every recipe which I would always prefer.

The recipes are clearly laid out with ingredients at the side (in grams and milliliters) and an easy set of numbered instructions to follow. There's a little bit of chat before each recipe but not a lot of fluff in the recipe itself - much easier to read and use. And, thank goodness, there's not even a sniff of calorie or nutritional info!

The recipes are split into seven sections. These are: chocolatey basics, breakfast and brunch, teatime or anytime, treats, feeding friends, special days and holidays, and finally chocolate extremists. There are also some handy lessons and hints including how to temper chocolate.

Despite my high expectations, I only gave this book three stars. The main reason for this is that the book wasn't quite what I expected. That's not necessarily a criticism but I did expect to open it and find a cornucopia of chocolate heaven. Instead there are a whole range of recipes that all include some sort of chocolate. That includes savoury recipes such as rabbit ragu and whole cooked chicken in a cocoa crust through to slightly more unusual chocolate treats such white chocolate and wasabi truffles and chocolate, cardamom and clementine marbled roulade. Of course, there are many of the things you would expect, too, such as rocky road, chocolate muffins, chocolate cookies and birthday cake.

Only giving this book three stars doesn't mean that I didn't like it - I just think that perhaps it's more for the high-brow chocolatier. I think I'm a bit more milk-chocolate when the person that would love this book needs to be high quality 70% cocoa solids chocolate.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A wonderful chocolate cookery book, full of every sort of chocolate dessert recipe you could ever need. Luxurious desserts and a few main course dishes like pan fried duck on polenta with a chocolate orange sauce. As the book is the GU chocolate cookbook it is heavy on the GU style very rich chocolate pudding. Not for eating every day, but wonderful for an indulgent special occasion treat. These are all full fat, full cream indulgent recipes - not for anyone on a diet.
VINE VOICEon 18 April 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This has got to be the best dessert cookbook I've ever seen, not only because it's all about chocolate, but it also has booze in there as well!! To call this a dessert cookbook is actually a little lie, because there are also a number of savoury chocolate dishes included as well.

The book is in full colour and has massive full page pictures all throughout the book to melt your soul and you flick through... I'm a big chocolate fan, for me, the darker the better, so I was really intrigued to see what this book was all about. The sections are split as follows:

- Chocolatey Basics
Which includes things such as making chocolate sauces and parties (choux, sweetcrust etc). As well as caramalised nuts and your own sweet popcorn!

- Breakfast and Brunch
This section starts with muffins, has a recipe for nutella, and choc chip pancakes!

- Teatime or Anytime
Has chewy double chocolate chip cookies, which was the first thing I made, and they were awesome!! There's also brownies, (gu)pcakes, and blondies!!

- Treats
We have truffles, madeleines and even some fancy twists on dessert classics like the banana split!

- Feeding Friends (is where the show stoppers are!)
With soups and tarts, to brulee and clafoutis, this is where you stop off if your really want to WOW people!! This is also where you'll find the chocolate martini and also savoury dishes involving chocolate like a classic pork mole!

- Special Days and Holidays
This is focused on big events like Christmas and Birthdays! There are some real special treats in here as well like the easter eggs! The look like a soft boiled egg with soldiers but are white chocolate cream with mango and passion fruit puree and brioche soldiers!

- Chocolate Extremists
This is the shortest chapter, I didn't really get what was extreme about it, but there's definitely a few fun ideas in here like the chocolate stuffed crust pizza or the chocolate and bacon croque monsieur.

This is a must buy book for chocolate lovers and cooks everywhere!! You won't be disappointed!
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What a treat of a book this is! It's really well-presented with a picture alongside most of the recipes; something I always look for in a cookbook because I want to see what I'm making and have something to aim for (and know if I've gone wrong!)

I love that this isn't just another baking book for cake and cookies: yes, these recipes are in there (they have to be), but there are also recipes for other things like chocolate pizza (even the base is chocolate), spring rolls, canapes and even chicken in a cocoa crust - all quite out-of-the-ordinary for me.

The recipes are well laid-out, with most of the instructions fitting on one page. The book familiarizes you with the basics of working with chocolate: things like melting, tempering and using tools. It gives you some brilliant recipes for making chocolatey essentials like custard, ganache, cream and pastry. These are handy to use alongside many of the recipes within the book, but also with other recipes you already use.

The recipes I've tried out so far (including the pizza), have been chocolate heaven. There is something for everyone in this book; whether you want something that will give you an intense chocolate-hit or if you want something that's more subtle where chocolate isn't the only thing going on in the recipe. It's going to be great for chocolate-lovers, bakers, dessert-makers and anyone who likes to cook.

I do wish there had been more "cooking food with chocolate" recipes, i.e. savory main meals that have a chocolate element to them. As I mentioned, the book does have some of these, but I would love to have seen more. The recipes are well-thought-out and produce reliably good results. Understandably, there is no calorie or nutritional information included anywhere in the book... but this isn't a book for dieters! It's a wonderful indulgence of a book and a must-have if you're looking for a chocolate cookbook, for all occasions.
on 18 October 2012
I borrowed this book from a friend to make some delicious treat to wow my work colleagues. I picked a recipe which sounded impressive "financiers" and began making. It was much easier than I had thought with clear instructions of what to do - the picture even looked like my finished versions even though I am not a pro. Will definitly be trying some more recipes.
on 16 October 2012
As well as being completely beautiful to look at (especially for chocoholics) this book also has a really wide range of interesting choccie recipes from simple stuff to really adventurous ideas (chocolate pizza?!). I made the chocolate fudge cake with my stepson at the weekend. Was dead easy and got rave reviews from the family. The Gulash was also a hit and a simple twist on a classic which I'd never thought of. Unlike some books, I have a list of about 10 things I actually will make vs just look at the pictures.
on 9 June 2013
I bought this for a friends birthday. It is full of lovely recipes, excellent for the chocolholic. Some unexpected recipes too
on 29 May 2013
I have done the chocolate loaf cake with pistachios and everyone raved about it. It looked exactly like their do. I have also done the chocolate ganachen and also another success. I even used to cover some marzipan balls I had done and voilá. Marzipan chocolate truffles.
on 15 May 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love chocolate and baking so this book should have been perfect for me, but in some ways it fell flat. The recipes aren't massively any different to a standard dessert book, just with more gu products suggested in the ingredients. Muffins, cheesecakes, mousses etc. Having said that, if you just like owning cookbooks (and I know people who do) this is a great addition to your collection- the pictures are amazingly mouth watering.
So far I've tried a muffin recipe. It was simple to follow and the resulting cakes were good but it didn't just deliver the extra wow factor for me, which is why I haven't made much more from this book- yet :)