5.0 out of 5 stars A favourite book
I read this book first when I was 12, on a mission to improve my reading and read grown up books. I instantly loved it, and spent a whole sunny weekend locked up in my room, engrossed in the world of the Doones. I have recently reread it, and still love it as much as I did then.

Published on 23 April 2011 by Alice in Wonderland

3.0 out of 5 stars I need to be in the mood for this.
When I was a teenager I absolutely loved this book and devoured it hungrily. When I read it now I am surprised that I persevered with the long-winded and archaic language at such a young age. This is a very good story but I find I no longer have the stamina to persevere with it when there is so much other stuff out there that I still have not read.
Published 24 months ago by L. Barlow

5.0 out of 5 stars A favourite book, 23 April 2011

The scenery described in the book is so clear and picturesque that I could imagine myself there, walking along side John Ridd (the protagonist and Narrator). The story is a romanace, though it covers quite abit of history of the time. The story of Lorna and John is a beautiful poignant tale of overcoming obsticals, both people and heritage for love.

Dont be put off by the strong cornish/ Devonshire accents, like in Wuthering Heights, not all characters have them, and they are mainly used to distiguish between classes and to remind of location and to add some flavour to the book. I think certainly if You like wuthering Heights then this book would be great for you, (and youll find the happy ending a refreshing change!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful, poetic tale, 21 May 2011
Ivan Proctor (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
R.D.Blackmore was a prolific author but of all his works only this one remains widely read. In all honesty the plot isn't very complex; the subtitle, 'A Romance of Exmoor,' gives it away. Boy meets girl; author creates untold delays and roughness on the path of true love; true love conquers all and that's about it. But read this and you soon realize why the book is so popular. The author's adoption of his hero's voice as narrator is a tour de force in itself but it is the whole atmosphere of the tale that so draws you into it. The action is played out against a beautifully created landscape and a social background of the country and farming life of the time. On top of that the weather and the seasons are so vividly drawn that they almost become a character of the story in themselves. The whole book is pure pleasure to read; a truly poetic creation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Personal Favourite, 8 Jan. 2011
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
When I was about 10 I was on a school holiday in the area this book mainly talks about. Being taken to the church where Lorna Doone was supposedly attacked at I wanted to know more. Since then I have read this book many times, and have often holidayed in the Devon/ Somerset region. Chances are that if you live in the region you will already know the story, and even if you don't you probably already know it or the main plot, so I won't discuss that here except to remark that some of the characters really existed, and some of the events really took place.

Set in the late 17th Century, R D Blackmore first published this anonymously and he was turned down by most publishers. The next year it was published more widely and instantly caught the imagination of the public, and since then has never been out of print. Blackmore didn't like this to be called an historical novel and preferred to refer to it as a romance, although you must remember that romance back then didn't exactly mean the same as today. Due to this difference in meaning on what we would call a romance novel today, and what would have been such back in the 19th Century this book is ideal for both sexes, with action and derring-do, as well as more romantic elements.

If you love reading good books with a storyline that draws you in and holds you, then you can't really go wrong with this. The only caution I would give to people who have never read this before is that the author did use dialect in some of the dialogues in this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Synopsis, 25 Feb. 2009
A historical novel of high adventure set in the South West of England during the turbulent time of Monmouth's rebellion (1685). It is also a moving love story told through the life of the young farmer John Ridd, as he grows to manhood determined to right the wrongs in his land, and to win the heart and hand of the beautiful Lorna Doone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves its reputation, 29 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Lorna Doone; a Romance of Exmoor (Kindle Edition)
It is many years since I first read this but was not disappointed. Well written, not at all dated, great story. The dialect bits that others seem to have had a problem with are so few and far between as to be unimportant and they are not that difficult to follow anyway. Not to everyone's taste but I enjoyed it. A love story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lorna Doone, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Lorna Doone; a Romance of Exmoor (Kindle Edition)
I first read this book in my teens and am reliving the experience in maturity. Great read with lots of intrique

5.0 out of 5 stars Love and social history, 6 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Lorna Doone; a Romance of Exmoor (Kindle Edition)
Beyond the old English is a lovely romance. Integral to this you have all the beauty of the West Country life, flora and fauna Battles and adventures abound in a truly gentle but rugged novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... Kindle out of curiosity to see what it was like (and also because it was free), 30 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Lorna Doone; a Romance of Exmoor (Kindle Edition)
I originally downloaded Lorna Doone onto my Kindle out of curiosity to see what it was like (and also because it was free). I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it - it's a great story with terrific descriptions of the Exmoor countryside. Whilst keeping the story going it also manages to convey something of the life of a 17th century Devonshire farmer.

As a historical romance it is at least as good as anything I've read by Sir Walter Scott. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical novels.

3.0 out of 5 stars I need to be in the mood for this., 3 May 2013
L. Barlow - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Lorna Doone; a Romance of Exmoor (Kindle Edition)
Great adventure and love story . Shall have to read it again in the future ! Brings out the flavour of the time.

Lorna Doone; a Romance of Exmoor