5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the first

2.0 out of 5 stars Nasty edition
Published 17 months ago by MAR

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the first, 24 Feb 1997
By A Customer
One of the few sequels better than its predecessor, this is a beautiful fairy tale about a young boy who saves a kingdom from its greed and selfishness. George MacDonald has taken a more social turn in this book in comparison to the first, "The Princess and the Goblin", dealing with human nature in a most clever way. It's only a fairy tale, of course; but it's one of my favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful antidote to superficial contemporary culture., 31 May 2003
Mr. A. R. Bache (Kingston upon Thames, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
My parents read me this book when I was about 8. I adored it then because of the story. Currently I am reading it to my two boys (ages 7 and 10). They seem to be enjoying it every bit as much as I did 30 years ago. Rereading as an adult the book seems even better than I had remembered as a child.
Why is this book so good? For children, the plot grips like a vice. Although it is fantastic there is a real credibility about the way it illuminates human nature. For adults, this book reconnects us with those values that contribute most to our lives: honesty, loyalty, faith and courage in an original and refreshing manner (even though it was first published in 1882).
The language is old fashioned and quite difficult to read out loud however this has in no way dampened my sons enthusiasm for the story. Older readers will find the Victorian language adds beauty and authenticity.
If you are looking for a cracking good book to read out loud to children that will connect them with good values in a refreshing and imaginative way, you cannot do better than "The Princess and Curdie".

2.0 out of 5 stars Nasty edition, 27 Feb 2013
I needed to replace my original Puffin copy, which has mysteriously vanished. This is horrid. It's badly copy-edited, if at all, full of typos. An unsympathetic font and page size. I also have issue with the cover illustration: it's irrelevant to the story as there are no goblins in this part of the story; this is anyway a picture of a troll, not a goblin; and someone has used a beautiful John Bauer picture inappropriately.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great -previous book is better, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Princess and Curdie (Kindle Edition)
Thought it would be a nice fairy tale, turns out to have a depressingly annoying and sad ending. It's quite morally but I'm just annoyed about the bad finish. However I still give two stars because some of the scenic descriptions beautiful and there are some nice aspects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Victorian classic, 31 Mar 2013
D. Pauls "David Eclectic" (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Princess and Curdie (Kindle Edition)
A wonderful adventure and love story written in beautiful prose, very funny, a liitle scary and very uplifting. The Princess and The Goblin is just as good.

The Princess and Curdie