5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story
Published 2 months ago by Aletheuon

1.0 out of 5 stars Free but bad
I downloaded this free book for an OU course. It's full of typos, including words that don't fit. I'd say there is a typo on every page. It irritates as you read and is v poor for study purposes. Give it a miss.
Published 9 months ago by Mrs. Sylvia Warhurst

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story, 3 July 2014
Aletheuon (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Little Women (Kindle Edition)
This really is a delightful and much-loved story. Originally published in the US two parts in 1868 and 1869, 'Little Women' and its sequels follow the lives of four sisters--Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy March. It is a fictionalised version of the lives of Louisa Alcott and her three sisters. The author had a hard struggle in life, for her father was an impractical idealist who could not support his family and she had to work from early on in her life. She was an abolitionist and feminist who never married, although she had a romance with a Polish man who is thought to have been the model for Laurie in 'Little Women.'
In certain ways, the book was innovative and even revolutionary in its time, intertwining the themes of domesticity, love and work and showing that all of them are necessary for a girl to find her true identity. Women then led very restricted lives. It has been said that Louisa May Alcott created the vision of the 'all-American girl'. The title refers to the fact that these March sisters were no longer children and not yet fully women; they were 'little women.'
There is a beautiful and wholesome morality in these stories, where virtue is more important than wealth and creativity more important than success, yet both reasonable wealth and success are shown as desirable for a secure and contented life. It is about God and goodness and self-sacrifice - all pretty un-PC today. Obviously, it is a period piece - it was published in the nineteenth century - but much of its charm is the period setting. It is sentimental. Americans are not afraid of sentimentality; it is we Brits we are too cynical and world-weary to enjoy it. There may be an element of wishful thinking in it, but its central characters are certainly not without flaws and they have to learn to cope in a world which is difficult for a woman to negotiate. On the whole, they do it well and they retain their integrity.
This was a tremendous success when it was published and it has been successful ever since, beloved by generations of women and a few men, too. I first read it about sixty years ago and I still love it. Then, it gave me something my own upbringing did not give me - a sense of the importance of family and love and working together and of the lasting values of life and religion. Now, it reminds me not to get too cynical, because those old values have not changed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Little Women (Kindle Edition)
Since my grandmother gave me my first copy of this book, over the years I have read it countless times and still never tire of the pleasure it brings me each time I open its pages

1.0 out of 5 stars Free but bad, 10 Nov 2013
Mrs. Sylvia Warhurst (Harrogate, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful book, 4 Aug 2014
Nanto (Chester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Women (Kindle Edition)
I first read this book 53years ago when I was 11. I've always remembered the March girls, they left an impression on me then, especially Jo and Beth. The story about a loving close family brings fond personal memories for me, especially as I remember reading this book when my own close family had hopes and dreams of a promising future. Sadly most of them are no longer here with us but the loving memories remain and reading this book has been a wonderful, happy trip down memory lane. Louisa May Alcott tells her story charmingly. Her description of each character comes to life in your imagination and more fascinating is her descriptions of Amy's trip around Europe and how life in the is continent was at her time of writing.
I'm so pleased to have rediscovered LMA and intend to move onto Good Wives next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply beautiful, 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: Little Women (Kindle Edition)
Upon starting to read this book I was somewhat unsure as to how much I would enjoy it, as I believed I knew the ending thanks to an episode of Friends. However, what I knew went no way towards spoiling my enjoyment of the story. I was taken on an emotional journey, ranging from sheer delight to complete sorrow. I grew to love and care for the characters and felt heartbroken at their misfortunes and joyous at their triumphs. Whilst being slightly old fashioned in places, I still found myself relating to the characters. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would happily recommend it to anyone as it was, in my opinion, very worthy of its status as a classic. A top read and I look forward to reading the sequels which I have downloaded already!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 25 Aug 2014
This review is from: Little Women (Kindle Edition)
this book is a touching story about four sisters growing up while their father is in the military there is Meg the oldest and most responsible then Jo the tomboy and the one their father left to take care of the family Beth the shy pretty piano playing girl and Amy the youngest and most vain in the family their only guardian is their aunt but she strugles too, with the help of their neighbour "The lauwrence boy" they travel many heights although im only eleven years old i love to read this book has taught me a great deal thank you "Little Women" for all your help.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 23 Aug 2014
This review is from: Little Women (Kindle Edition)
A real gem. I treasured each step of the journey with this humble loving family . The growth of the girls was so intriguing to see, their characters forming, their hearts growing and their
mind's learning that not every castle in the sky that we plan for ourselves will happen but that what life makes of us may show us better castles in the end. There are so many Beth's and Jo's and Meg's in the world, it fascinating to be part of their story and their struggles. They show us how each of us is different in their own beautiful way and this adds to the goodness of a family as a whole.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 15 July 2014
good

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Little Women (Kindle Edition)
Little Women has always been my favourite. Lovely purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Little Women (Kindle Edition)
Sweet and beautiful, I can't believe it's taken we 20yrs to get round to reading it, you fall for every character, with their own little ways.

Little Women