Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 21 February 2015
Considering the date of writing and now reading this story in 2015 it is spookily accurate, such as the telephote (television) , a system that sounds like the internet and calculators. Contrasted with things that have not happened such as the highly processed food and advertising in the sky/clouds and then things that are quite funny that the average age of a man is increased to 52 and there is still no. cure for nasal catarrh. The only down side is that it does not read like a Jules Verne but it might have been an off day. It is a brilliant story however with lots more than I mention here. Proper science fiction.
on 20 November 2015
An interesting concept of a day in the life of a particular media biased individual. Considering how long ago this story was written it's a surprisingly good effort at predicting what technology may have developed into, although some aspects we have already achieved and gone beyond.
This short story whilst probably not being one of Jules's better efforts is still an interesting read.....well worth the half day I spent reading it.
on 8 June 2013
This short story starts with a note as to this initially being credited to Jules Verne only later believed to be by his son Michel. Whomever wrote it the story is classic Verne (Jules or Michel) and offers a look at the far future from a point in our own history. I found it immensely interesting and a fascinating read. Only wished it had continued longer. For free you can't really go wrong, recommended.
on 21 December 2013
I was dissapointed with this book. It is a very short book, purporting to be a day in the life of a newspaper Baron in the year 2889.
Although it tries to predict the technology that will be around then, it fails to have the convincing flow that one expects from a Jules Verne novel. It should be consigned to the scrapheap of history.
on 28 February 2014
This is a fascinating glimpse into what Jules Verne thought the future would be like. I think it shows that extrapolating from the present was difficult even then, no wonder that many sci fi writers today go for the far future. I think that it is well worth reading for curiosity's sake.
on 23 March 2014
A very unusual book, but one that duplicates some of the things which are happening in the current years were country's want country's and people want to get to the moon. THE only downside is that there is no real story.
on 3 March 2016
I was curious about this book so took advantage of free SF Kindle offer. It was OK. Not great science fiction and not bad either. I am pleased that I read it.
on 3 January 2014
As Verne goes, tedious. His other works are far better. I am struggling for ten more words - if you benjoy Verne, worth a look.
on 25 October 2013
I normally like the work of Jules Verne. However, I found this was far too waffly and I couldn't continue with it.
on 21 July 2014
had been printed wrongly - large gap at the bottom and several lines of text missing from the top so unreadable