on 23 November 2012
Just how does one lead a 'normal' life after being born into slavery? The answer in this case is 'very well indeed'. The author struggled to build a school for children from poor backgrounds, and when I say build, I mean he rolled up his sleeves and got stuck into the actual building work, and made sure his students did the same. This was as well as taking on all the administration work, and fund raising. An amazing person who deserved all the praise he received. Although subjected to prejudice, this did not make him bitter and he had a very forgiving nature.
on 12 June 2013
A very interesting and easy to read book. I have been inspired by Booker T. Washington's insight and dedication towards the plight of the emancipated slaves after the American civil war. Until I read this book, I had never thought about the difficulties that the newly emancipated slaves must have encountered. It amazes me how anyone who started life as a slave can have no hostility towards the people who treated his race so badly.
on 25 February 2013
Seems to concentrate more on praising others than detAiling his own work. Nevertheless an interesting read. Hard going at times though.
on 3 June 2013
am reading it as we speak and it is illuminating and informative, a different aspect on the after effects of slavery.
on 2 July 2013
This book is very informative and would be very useful if it was in the national curriculum, The author gives a very balanced view of human nature irrespective of race or class, he sounds like a very special and discerning man and a very wise observer of people. I thought I knew a lot about the history of slavery from reading and education and from friends whose ancestors were slaves in America and the West Indies, but this book is exceptional and enlightening.
on 5 February 2013
An insight into one women's fight for her childrens lives. She wanted freedom for her children and was prepared to suffer to fight for it.
I have read books about slavery in America but had never read about it from one person's view. She has concentrated on her own life and not on other people. A very good read and certainly worthwhile if you have never read about slavery in America, especially about the "free north".
on 22 February 2015
Excellent read. Well written, easy to follow, gives the reader a good understanding of life of a slave. The author writes with a cool clear style without sensationalism. Personally, I prefer this to 12 years a slave as this book shows what life was like for all slaves and how unbelievably they suffered under so-called Christian people. Highly recommended.
on 1 July 2014
This was some read I have to say very enjoyable and also educational in a sense that I now know who and what Booker T did for the lifting of the black race in America after the Civil War. Anyone wanting to know more should read this. You can cross reference events to see what had taken place I had done that and found out more about him. Great read.....
on 18 January 2014
I chose this book as I am interested in black history and had heard of Booker T Washington but had not read anything about him, so was intrigued to read his autobiography. It was an interesting and enjoyable read; I would highly recommend it!
on 8 November 2012
This book made me laugh, cry, provoked thoughful thinking and made me appreciate the strength and courage that my ancestors had. This book is uplifting and empowering. A recommend read. Its also free on kindle so what are you waiting for?