5.0 out of 5 stars A great fresh voice in fantasy
Published 20 months ago by Paul Lemon

3.0 out of 5 stars Full of fantasy cliches, but an okay story in spite of that.
Published 2 months ago by Martin Loxton

5.0 out of 5 stars A great fresh voice in fantasy, 19 Aug. 2013
Paul Lemon (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eye of the Moonrat (The Bowl of Souls Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Ok we have to get it out of the way. This book follows the usual formula - a boy unaware of his great power saves the world from a an evil wizard. However there are a whole host of other interesting characters. His bonded for one. Bonded? Well you will have to read the books. He does not save the world alone, it is a group effort. There is a great magic system and the villain, for once, while he does very nasty things, is a bit of a comedy act which is a nice change. Unhinged, evil and funny is good.

This is the first in a set of 5 Kindle books. However there is a a volume 1.5 which I have yet to read which I guess is an off-shoot story. At this point volume 5 is yet to be published. It is due Sept/Oct this year. Mr Cooley writes very fast. There is none of this gap of years between books which you get with some other writers (mentioning no names, ok ok - ice and fire are clues). The story zooms along and is easy to read. It could almost be young adult fiction in that there is no sex and little to no swearing. I am currently on book four and I got here in less than two weeks. I now want to slow down so I can go straight to the final volume when it comes out.

One final point....its sooo cheap! What £2.60 or so? Cheap but classy. It costs less than a cup of Starbucks vanilla coffee and is better for your waistline. Trust me, you will love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 24 Oct. 2013
Much of this book reads like young adult fiction (this is not a criticism), and the plot follows the well-trodden path of boy evolving into hero via apprenticeship, trial and destiny.

I enjoyed the simple plot, the arch baddy, the interesting segways into Deathclaw and Fist. In places I found the plot too basic (need a suspect? Oh, here is someone behaving suspiciously), but a small part of me delighted in the fact that Justan gets the mystic bow, the wonderfully dangerous animal companion, the offer of magic swords - just like those childhood stories (and funnily enough, just like Lord of the Rings).

I will definitely be reading the next in the series, and I wonder/hope/speculate whether the plot will become more sophisticated as the books progress, and whether that will increase or decrease the charm...

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing change, 14 Dec. 2013
As an avid fantasy reader and writer,(Flight of the Ulysses) I was getting fed up with the same old, same old. I couldn't stomach another book about good looking Vampires and simpering girls, or put up with anymore vile brutality that's relentless and hideous, with nothing good ever happening. So I ploughed through the vaults of Amazon looking for something different and refreshing, and this time I found it. This forst book you can tell is a first book, but the story is quickly addictive, and his writing is fast paced and exciting. The characters were simple enough, but as the story grew, suddenly there were many sides to them. 'Deathclaw' was ingenious, and I loved the way his character developed, but undoubtably 'Fist'the ogre is my favourite character. I went through every emotion reading these five books, and was very sad when I finished them. I then read 'Hilt's Pride' which again was a really excellent short story. Trevor Cooley is my new favourite writer just now, taking over from Peter V Brett. If like me you are looking for something new, fast paced, full of exciting characters and really nasty bad guys, then you will love these books. they get better and better as the series progresses and he has grown into a brilliant writer. Good luck Trevor

5.0 out of 5 stars The story is excellent and with a lot of thought on how to ..., 20 Aug. 2014
Have read all 7 of these books and am looking forward to Book 8. The story is excellent and with a lot of thought on how to progress each of the characters. They grow with the story, and an exciting story it is.
To start off with you want to smack Justan but slowly he grows up before your eyes and we begin to see the making of a strong, likable character. Fist, Deathclaw and Gwyrtha all bring a different perspective to the story and add more depth to the characters. They all play a central part to the story which I like rather than just being extras added for the sake of it.
This story is a continuing saga and I like all the twists and turns that it offers and also the fact that there is a war going on and some of the characters that you like die as well and those who live suffer greatly.
As I said before like this story and looking forward to the next installment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Full of fantasy cliches, but an okay story in spite of that., 21 Feb. 2015
You will, quite literally, be able to count the cliches in this book. So far, I've found: boy hero who doesn't listen to anybody; mysterious female staff wielder who totally won't turn out to be a love interest (I've only read the first story so it's possible that, in a major twist of events, this turns out to not be the case...); college-style military academy that teaches people to fight; evil wizard trying to raise an army of various monster tribes; hero has special powers that he must learn to control; we even have fighting with two swords, which as any medievalist would know, is not a good style, yet fantasy heroes seem to like it for some reason - sword and dagger, or sword and a blunt weapon, maybe, but not two swords!!

However, that said, it's still a decent book. The hero is quite annoying at first, thinking he knows everything and then wondering why he always fails, but this is part of his character development. You won't find anything really different here (although I suppose the hero having two living parents is rare enough in fantasy novels to be considered 'different'! ;-) ), but if you like typical fantasy hero stories, you'll probably like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 26 May 2014
I could tell you that this book is great, but what really sums it up for me was this. When I finished reading the whole series I truly felt that I'd lost some great friends, as not having their story in my life meant that much. So if fantasy is something you are interested in I couldn't think of a better series to escape into.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting read, 5 Jan. 2014
This definitely has the makings of a great epic story and I enjoyed the storyline and the characters quite a bit. The unusual title is certainly what got me interested in purchasing this book in the first place and it did not disappoint. This is great for epic fantasy fans and those who love Tad Williams and his Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A kindle ebook suprise, 20 July 2013
P. Howe "Book fiend" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
Sometimes I find that the lower end books found on kindle can be quite simplistic and brief. I have found this series to be a pleasant suprise.

Good story and inventive / interesting characters have me waiting on the last book.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read from New author., 3 Mar. 2013
Decided to pick this one up due to low price & interesting description on Amazon. Whilst maybe not ground-breaking enough for a full 5 stars, this is a good read if fan of fantasy fiction. New author so always nice to support, read some thing different. The story kept me coming back for more & intriguing story developing, especially in later part of book. Is the first of five & plan to read second on shortly to see where this leads. If fantasy fan looking for decent read from New author this is definitely worth your time.

4.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly enjoyable series, 22 April 2015
As other reviewers have remarked, there are many of the usual stereotypical characters but they have been given a twist and a tweak to make you want to read on. The fact that there is little to no use of swearing, gratuitous violence or sexual content is a bonus! Characters are created with enough familiarity to make the reader feel comfortable with the portrayal of dwarves, elves and ogres and yet, the writer has added his own ingenuity to create a setting and scenario that captures the imagination. Having downloaded the entire series, I read all the books within a week, eager to follow the adventures of this new group of friends. Definitely recommended for a teenage audience and those looking for sheer escapism into a fantasy realm.