on 22 April 2014
Just the thing for children before they go to sleep, and the light, switched off!
But I loved them. So dark! Were children of hardier stock in the 19th century? Perhaps 'seen and not heard' didn't apply

to screaming.
Oh, If I Could But Shiver! A boy warms himself from the burning bodies of hanged men! And just in case, your child is

still demanding chocolate from supermarket checkputs, our hero nails a beast's feet to the floor. Oh, then there's the

body in a coffin paragraph... . Not so much, 'wait until I get you home', as: I'll read Grimm's to you.
Weird and wonderful. Not recommended for those of a nervous disposition, or children under thirty-five.
on 5 May 2013
The brothers Grimms, the most famous fairy tale writers that have EVER lived; their tales have survived years through each generation and have been adapted and transformed into some of the greatest movies and stage acts that have ever been created. Kindle users, if you haven't downloaded this FREE copy of 25 of their stories, than you are truly crazy for this is more than a bargain.

What I love about the original Grimm's Fairy Stories are that they are dark yet magically full of hope; as you read each tale you can't help but want the protagonist to make their fortune and secure their destiny while escaping the horrid situations they find themselves in. You can't deny these stories start your imaginative juices flowing as you can add your own twists and turns to each, just as Disney have done with some and that's why I gave it four stars; as much as I loved the original, I miss adding my own comedic twists to tales such as "Little Red Cap" and "Rapunzel"!

Regardless of your age though, you should definitely check out this book, especially you Kindle users out there!!! I know if I ever have kids, I am grateful to the Grimm Brothers for their fairy tales as they inspired me to make my own fairy stories...well, my friends enjoyed my retelling of One-Eye, Two-Eyes, and Three-Eyes when discussing this book so I suppose even having these tales for friends are also good!!
on 1 November 2012
Really enjoyed this , loved the fact it was not sugar coated ! Couldn't put it down ! Great value.
on 10 May 2014
Though many of the stories have been heard before, in one form or another, to read the originals makes you appreciate the imperfect but beautiful originals in their original telling
on 24 June 2013
I enjoyed reading these original stories from The Brother's Grimm. I was a bit shocked at the endings of some, it certainly isn't Disney in that not every fairy story has a happy ending! Maybe not suitable bedtime reading for little ones, they may have nightmares but great for older kids, 11ish, upwards. Adults read it first so you can tell when your child is ready for it.
on 28 August 2013
It's been a long, long time since I first read Grimms Fairy stories but the 'chills' are so familiar. I was very young and clearly remember being quite frightened by some of the tales, puzzled by others but facinated all the same. The stories were without a doubt disturbing to innocent young minds but they were also an uncomfortable education in the ways of the world. Didn't know how lucky I was as a child to own this book bcos reading those tales again now I can recognise the values they impressed on me all those years ago and I'm reminded of how much the world has changed.
Sadly don't think they would be considered suitable reading for todays children, who seem to be protected from reality and all things scary. Not much evidence of fairy dust and pretty white clouds in this book its stern and quite 'grown -up' really but I still found it wonderful to read and reminise.
on 10 March 2015
It was interesting to read the original stories upon which so much popular culture has been based.

I'm surprised by the praise lauded on them though. While some stories have moral content, morality was not at all the issue in others (ex. the little guy who sometimes tricked robbers and sometimes helped them, the tailor who kept lying and got the princess etc.).

I found the most interesting part of reading this was to see what people entertained themselves with back in the times of brothers Grimm, without any sugar-coating or updating to make them fit present day literary requirements.
on 3 December 2012
Great stories for all ages and especially children these are morality tales & are rich in symbolism. three more words!!
on 12 April 2014
This book contains 25 German stories, part of an anthology by JACOB & WILHEIM GRIMM.
These are not your average 'fairy stories' (of today). Grimms' versions are far greater than the stuff today! Although there is more violent and darkness, it won't be a problem with over 8s. Just think about whether you should read them to kids. Now tell 'em "Rachel/Reggie/whatever their name is, you will enjoy this. It's far better than those twonky film ones - they're the ORIGINALS!!!" They WILL enjoy it - adults will too.
For a conwerted c0py, it is of very high quallty. Perfect actually. My only concern is that the English can go odd at times, but is close to the original German edition anyway.
Personally, I reccommend the 'Household Tales' one, but this one is good.
There are a few unpopular tales here, too! So download!
on 29 January 2014
I purchased (I say purchased it was free) this book for my Kindle as I couldn't quite decide what book to read next. I love short stories and I love fairytales so I thought I would give this a go. I've read a good number of the brother's Grimm's work before and I know just how much it varies from the stories we read our kids today. I was expecting just a refresher. I couldn't have been more wrong. This book was full of stories I had never heard of before and they had all the twists and turns you would expect from a Grimm's fairytale. If you're at a loose end get this book. But I urge you to read it through before reading to children. Those brothers certainly had a way of putting the frighteners up folk...even hardy adults like me!!! ;)