5.0 out of 5 stars One of my Favourite Books ever
Published 7 months ago by For the Love of God

3.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories
Had to read as a child-wanted to read again as an adult. Still enjoyed book but language can be hard to follow. Story seems too obvious for our modern taste. But still would recommend it.
Published 6 months ago by Ann Hayward

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my Favourite Books ever, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Great Expectations (Kindle Edition)
This story is amazingly well told and offers drama, suspense, love and betrayal all in one. I first read this story as a teenager and it was so compelling and moving. The images conjured in my mind about who Pip and Lady Havisham were so vivid. I have seen many movie versions of this beloved story since but none have come close to the joy I had reading it for the first time or to the completeness of the book.

Even if you have seen TV or movie versions of this already, I encourage to read this and experience what it was truly meant to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the very best classic tales, 1 Mar 2013
Mrs. J. A. Goodchild (Suffolk,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Expectations (Kindle Edition)
I decided to re-read this classic, (previously studied for GCE many years ago), prior to going to see the current West End production. I'd forgotten just how good this book is and still so easy to read despite the passage of time. It certainly enhanced my enjoyment of the theatre adaptation. Definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations, 13 Feb 2013
Patsy Collins (Lee-on-Solent, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Expectations (Kindle Edition)
I didn't really expect to enjoy this. I just thought that as I live near Portsmouth (where Dickens was born) and read a lot I really should take a look at something of his. I'm really glad I did as I loved it. The story was absorbing and the characters either really likeable or so much not so that I was compelled to read on in the hope that something bad would happen to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant story., 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: Great Expectations (Kindle Edition)
I think this is my favourite of the Charles Dickens books I have read so far. Full of the usual excellent descriptive narrative the story tells of the journey Pip's expectations take him on through his young life. I would recommend this a good book to read for someone new to Dickens to start with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Expectations, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Great Expectations (Kindle Edition)
I've always loved this story and must be one of the people who have seen almost every TV adaptation as well as reading the story more times than I can remember. Very enjoyable, give it a chance!!

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC - don't let forced school reading put you off Dickens, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Great Expectations (Kindle Edition)
FANTASTIC - don't let forced school reading put you off Dickens. I'm 50 & haven't read him since school. What a brilliantly entertaining read, can't wait to take up Tale of Two Cities now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps one of the finest novels ever written, 17 Oct 2014
Chris "Chris B" (Derbyshire, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Expectations (Kindle Edition)
Dickens can, on occasions be over wordy and lose his way in plot and over abundance of characters. This work has no such flaws. It is a narrative that carries us through the life of the hero in a direct storyline that, although peppered with those coincidences that feature in most of his tales, digs so deep into the authors emotions that one finds all plausible. There are few books that hold such heights of pathos and humour. Dickens seems to lay bare his soul in this novel. It would be a hard hearted reader who did not find themselves moved by this towering achievement of literature.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!!!!, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Great Expectations (Kindle Edition)
Much better than any film or TV adaptation. Easier to read than I was expecting. If you are thinking of reading a Dickens novel you can't go wrong starting with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars What the Dickens!, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Great Expectations (Kindle Edition)
Shame about the American English but what more can one expect from a free download. Not sure I would encourage children to read this edition, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Good Read, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Great Expectations (Kindle Edition)
Charming, enchanting, and a truly enjoyable read.

Captivating from start to finish and I look forward to reading this again and and again!

Great Expectations