on 21 April 2012
I never realised just how bloody Scotland's history is. Macbeth is just one of a long line of murderous beasts and their victims. it would seem that every transferral of power has been the result of the murder, execution or assassination of the incumbent. But a fascinating history with revealing facts like the name Stewart was given initially to English administrators posted by their King to supervise the rule over Scotland. A very good read
on 12 May 2011
This history of Scotland is excellent with almost an overload of historical detail. This tends to make it a trifle dry but, nonetheless I found it an eye opener.
It would be good if a few Scots laddies could read this before engaging in vigorous discussions on the subject in the pub! I changed my views on several historical points after reading this.
on 21 June 2012
I chose this to have the facts at my fingertips. Once you get used to it it is very easy to use and very imformative.
on 17 August 2013
I like these books, Scanned from very old books and then added as a free Kindle book. Most of these cannot be found anywhere else so it's a good introduction to some old history.
on 18 February 2014
This book is a gallop through the history of scotland with familiar names bobbing into view before disappearing back below the surface. I rate this book highly because it is gives perspective to the question as to whether scotland should stand alone it seems the outcome now as it was then will be decided from a financial and sectarian corner of the scottish psyche
on 17 April 2012
This book , which I read on my Kindle, was a thoroughly good read. Though written in a way which might deter some from even starting it I would encourage everyone, particularily the Scots amongst you,to give it a try. The story has everything in it history, romance, derring-do. For me it illuminated a period of Scottish history that I only had scant knowledge of even though events took place in areas I have lived and worked all my life.
on 21 July 2013
Lots of detail. How are you supposed to remember all this. It is written the way they used to teach history ie facts facts and more facts.
If you want the detail you've got it. It's all here if you have the time to concentrate.
on 18 June 2013
I used to go to a local library to borrow some books, but have recently begun to download free books from Amazon using my Kindle when I have time. I am very glad that a lot of books are available free of charge. Thank you.
on 11 June 2015
Very dry and not too interesting ! But hey any more padding and it wouldn't be called a SHORT history of Scotland !!
on 19 June 2014
I love this book. I spend many holidays in Scotland and I want to know the History. This book is very informative.