5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch amplifier!
Published on 22 Feb. 2013 by simes1971

2.0 out of 5 stars An audiophile I am not (as you would expect at this price point) but I was disappointed that nearly £200 worth of brand new tech
I bought this as a replacement for an old [much loved] Sony that started playing up. Sadly it only worked for a couple of days before cutting out mid-song on day 3 never to recover consciousness (but for a blinking red light which apparently spelled "internal circuit damage"). I know "these things happen" but with such competition out there and ever fewer...
Published 2 months ago by Wrath of Ninian

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch amplifier!, 22 Feb. 2013
simes1971 (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this amplifier to use in a secondary hifi system in my bedroom. My main system is a high end affair, accumulated over many years of swapping & changing components, constantly agonising, tinkering and generally throwing a lot money down the drain, but even though I say so myself, this main system sounds pretty damn awesome to me. Btw, I'm not some mega rich snob with money to burn, I live on my own, earn little above minimum wage, can barely afford my bills, I've not had a proper holiday for well over fifteen years and have two constantly hungry cats to feed!
What I have (apart from very little sense!) is a passion for music, all kinds of music, from the sublime to the ridiculous, so, to cut a long story short, when I decided on this amp for my bedroom, I wasn't expecting much, I just wanted something reasonable and inexpensive to do the job and as I am not able to get out and demo these things in the flesh, I had to buy blind, as it were, online. There are a number of highly regarded amps at this price level from the likes of Denon & Marantz but as I have owned a Pioneer amp before, if anyone remembers the brilliant A-400, twenty+ years ago, I decided to give this one a go, despite being unable to find any reviews of it anywhere.
Well, all I can say is I am hugely impressed. Much like the A-400 all those years ago, the sound is fast, precise and detailed, with deep but tight & well controlled bass response. Those that prefer a softer, warmer, more 'analogue' sound should look elsewhere but if you like a clean, bright sound that drives your music along with vigour and pace, then you will not be disappointed.
I even tried the A-30 with my main system and it did not at all disgrace itself, despite costing 30+ times less! 40watts per channel into 8ohms may not seem a great deal but, as with all good hifi, not too much attention should be paid to quoted power output and the amp was more than capable of driving my B&W floorstanders to high volume levels, seemingly without even breaking into a sweat. I should mention that I have not tried the phono input so I cannot vouch for that particular aspect.
As with pretty much all modern hifi components at this price level, though, it is made in China, but the build quality and finish is of a pleasingly high standard. The blue LEDs on the front panel are a nice touch and overall the amp sounds, looks and feels more expensive than it actually is.
Great hifi needn't cost the earth these days and this excellent amplifier from Pioneer is no exception. I wholeheartedly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pioneer A30, 28 Aug. 2013
So far after owning the Pioneer A30 Amplifier for approx. 1 year I'm still happy with it.

I was looking for a budget amp which sounded good and didn't need to have massive power output but have functionality and sound quality instead. e.g. plenty of inputs and outputs. Many of the high end products just don't have much functionality. I would consider describing the sound as balanced and musical but not clinical/harsh to my ears.

I usually have the amp set to by-pass the tone controls. in the shop I did try the loudness button and a few times at home. I still prefer listening without the loudness button on - more natural sound without agressive treble or bass. The headphone amp is fine as well as the remote.

I would say that driving my Boston Acoustics A26 speakers when the vol. pot is set to about 10 ' o clock position, sound is very nice and modestly loud. Generally I think the amplifier feels slightly underpowered but this doesn't concern me as I listen at moderate levels and have neighbours to think of.

Still happy with the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Amp for the Money, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Pioneer A-30-S 70W Stereo Amplifier - Silver (Electronics)
Having read the other positive reviews, I decided to try it as my old original Audiolab 8000A amp has no remote volume control which was causing a few domestic disputes as I sometimes like it loud (even though I have perfect hearing LOL).

Having run it in, I am very happy with it, it is very well built and looks very good but perhaps a bit chunky for those minimalists. It has a very good sound at a bargain price, it has every feature you could want including the option for second pair of speakers or to bi-wire for those non skeptics.

It has plenty of power without distortion and it has an open and very detailed sound. Its treble is very detailed but not brash or bright but perhaps it may be too much for some people or systems. I prefer to switch off the tone control as it does alter the sound even in the neutral position.

I believe it has plenty of power driving my B&W 601s2 and I really cannot fault it.

Note: The A-10 has no remote, the A-20 has a remote but is less powerful than the A-30. The A-30 is only a little extra and is worth it, it also has dimmable blue led lights which is a nice touch compared to the A-20 which has red.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 29 Jan. 2014
I was deciding between Pioneer A-30-K and Denon PMA 720AE. I decided to go with Pioneer and I was not wrong. Well built,very warm and really nice looking amplifier.The remote control ok,nothing special but it works from almost any angle in my room. I would recommend choosing A-20-K for smaller rooms and saving some money,because there is no much difference (only led colors and front panel). I give this amp 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Compromising attractive desing with good sound, 9 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Pioneer A-30-S 70W Stereo Amplifier - Silver (Electronics)
Worth the money budget amp. Design reminds me my first stereo system from early 80s. Well built on popular Sanken transistors (Cyrus, Technics and many more) with aluminium front and dials as well. Amp is Sounds quite worm and detailed surprisingly and what's more better and more natural that A-50, maybe a little bit to bright high tones, bass getting softer when listening lauder, but still acceptable. My amp is well paired with Dali Zensor 5 speakers and unfortunately some albums sounds to flat to playback in direct mode.
Clapton's "Unplugged" sounds unbelievable good on it, same as Mark Knopfler's records especially SACD (played on Pioneer PD-30), but from the other hand I've noticed some lack of dynamics in some harder rock music and definitely must use "Loudness" button then.
Overall I couldn't find any better amplifier in such reasonable price. I recommend Pioneer A-30 as an entry level device for hifi enthusiasts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant Product arrived on time, 27 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Pioneer A-30-S 70W Stereo Amplifier - Silver (Electronics)
Good quality Amplifier that I would recommend to all budget users .
Looks stylish good quality finish . Controls are smooth and sturdy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Aug. 2014
C. Charlton (new romney, kent, uk.) - See all my reviews
excellent product, superb sound for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Pioneer A-30-S 70W Stereo Amplifier - Silver (Electronics)
Looks great, works well and motorised volume is just cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Amplifier, 25 Jun. 2014
Seddon Robert Craig "Robert" (Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
Bought this as an economical replacement for an old (20+ years) Onkyo amp which was starting to play up.
Clean sound and great build quality. No problem hooking up my bi-wired speakers with banana plugs.
Just one thing that I miss - no lit dot on the volume knob to show where you are in the decibels department, but on the other hand the ability to dim down the fascia LEDs is a bonus.
Love the Blue LEDs which match the rest of my Pioneer AV gear.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 25 Feb. 2013
Mrs. E. Munro - See all my reviews
Bought for my son who has taken an interest in Records, had the deck but not an amp, this is a very sturdy product and my son is very fussy so if he is happy it must be good.

Pioneer A-30-S 70W Stereo Amplifier - Silver