5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!
Published 19 months ago by Jonathan Allman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good
I love this Elgato game capture! The video quality is sensational! However I seem to keep losing videos every so often as it tends to not respond.. But I do recommend it :)
Published 2 months ago by Harry

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 13 Dec 2012
This review is from: Elgato Game Capture HD, Xbox and PlayStation High Definition Game Recorder for Mac and PC, Full HD 1080p (Personal Computers)
Having used 2 other capture cards (EasyCap - terrible, Roxio Game Capture - okay), I was quite scared of wasting more money on equipment but after using this for about a hundred videos, I have to say, this is the best piece of equipment I've ever used! It's tiny, easy to move and easy to set up. It works astoundingly well even though my computer is under the minimum requirements!
The file size is small for a high quality 720p video file (can do 1080p but I see no point for me) and the software is FANTASTIC. With the recent update that adds voice commentary and streaming, I see no reason to ever choose anything over this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing, 17 July 2012
MyKeyReviews (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 9:30 Mins

When it comes to capturing gameplay from your consoles, you want as good quality as you can get so you can show your friends or the world those amazing moments in detail.

The problem is there are so many different game captures to choose from these days such as Roxio, AverMedia, Hauppauge +more, that it can be a daunting task to choose the right one.

Whilst I can't comment on the others being bad or good due to the fact I haven't personally tried them myself, I can safely say that 'Elgato Game Capture HD' offers simple connectivity, ease of use and very high quality.

So what's in the box?:
Game Capture Device | AV Cable(PS3) | Unencrypted HDMI Cable(Xbox or use as pass-through) | Component Cable | Micro USB - USB cable.

Minimum system requirements:
* Mac: Mac OS X 10.7, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.
* PC: Windows 7, 2.0 GHz dual core CPU.
* Sound card | 4 GB RAM | Built-in USB 2.0 port | You will also need an internet connection to download the software from Elgato's official website as there is no software disk included.

- - -

Setting everything up was extremely simple:

Step 1) Download the game captures software.

Step 2) Connect your console to the 'Game Capture HD' using the appropriate cable:

- PS3: You need to use the AV cable rather than HDMI cable, this is because the PS3's HDMI port is encrypted (You can still get 1080i quality).
- Xbox: Use the HDMI cable provided.

Step 3) Link the 'Game Capture HD' and HDTV together via HDMI cable.

Step 4) Insert the USB cable included to both your computer and 'Game Capture HD'.

Step 5) Load up the software.

Step 6) Turn on your console.

- IMPORTANT PS3 Information: PS3 users will need to go to their PS3 "Settings" - "Display Settings" - "Video Output Settings" - "Components / D-Terminal" - When selecting resolution, make sure "1080p" is NOT selected, only go up to "1080i".

The PS3 auto-detects when an HDMI cable is used, but it doesn't auto-detects the AV input. The way I got around this at the time was hooking the PS3 up directly to the TV(whilst AV cables were also connected to the game capture), I then went to the display settings and clicked on "Component / D-Terminal", once selected I had quickly removed the HDMI from the PS3 and connected it to the 'Game Capture HD', this solved the problem and took me 30 seconds for me to do.

Alternatively (had to find this out afterwards...) if you start the PS3 by holding the power button for around 10 seconds, it will auto-detect your output, saving you even more time.

Step 7) If there is no picture displayed on the game capture software, go to the 'Game Capture HD Settings' which can be located within the "Device" box under the "Capture" tab. The setting button is to the right-hand side and looks like a hammer and spanner crossed over. It is important to have the "Input Device" on the right settings, after selecting the right option, you should have your gaming consoles screen displayed on the software. *Note*; the software has a few seconds delay on game footage, so use your TV to play games.

Step 8) Tweak other settings if necessary, then your done!

Set-up took barely 5 minutes overall, I was very pleased with how easy it was to set-up. :)

The computer specs I used whilst using the 'Game Capture HD' software were:
* Windows 7 64-bit Operating System | Intel i7 960 3.2 GHz Processor | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Graphics Card | 12GB RAM.

First of all, the installation process was error free(always a good start), the program loads up promptly and so far I have yet to see it crash.

The layout is basic in a good way and is very easy to navigate, you have simple settings to choose from such as where you would like the gameplay recordings to be saved, the quality of the video files(which will impact the file size) and adjustments in the picture output.

As for recording gameplay, couldn't be any simpler, just press the big red button to start the recording process and press it again to stop.

To the right of the record button you have a "time-shift" bar, this is probably the best feature I have ever seen. Lets say you decided to stop recording because the game your playing is not going in your favour, then out of the blue you do the most epic thing you have every done in gaming history, which of course could not be re-created even with the highest bit of luck... well don't despair, the software keeps an ongoing backup for a certain period of time, which by using the "time-shift", you can go back in time to record that epic moment.

There is also an edit tab available, however it is very basic. Tools available are 'trim' & 'delete', it basically lets you keep the good parts and throw the bad out. For those wanting that extra editing experience, I would suggest something like Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 (other software's available).

The final part of the edit section is a quick share where you can click on lets say "YouTube", then all you have to do is type in your account details and it uploads the video for you.

- - -

Overall I think this is a completely solid package, and whilst it may seem a tad expensive, I do feel you get your monies worth and would highly recommend!

♦ REVIEW UPDATE ♦

Since the review had initially been published, there have been several significant updates for the software:

1) Now supports 1080p.

2) Live Commentary: This is my most favourite update for the software, it lets you capture your voice by using a microphone that's connected to your computer, results are fantastic and I use it all the time.

To use, you have to enable the microphone icon and then select the microphone from the "Audio In", there is also an option which when checked, reduces the game volume as when your talking through the microphone which delivers a fantastic balance between game & microphone audio.

When you decide to stop recording using this feature, as you would before, give it 5-10 seconds after you have finished your gaming before you click to stop recording, this will ensure nothing is cut off.

3) Stream live gameplay onto websites such as Twitch.

4) You can now record from your standard definition retro gaming consoles.

5) Now confirmed it works with Nintendo Wii U via HDMI!

6) Xbox One Console will work with the Elgato.

7) Sony PlayStation 4 (PS4) Wont work due to HDCP, however it was recently announced that they will sort this in an upcoming update.

- ♦ - Current software available is 'Version 1.4'. - ♦ -

Elgato Game Capture HD -VS- Hauppauge HD PVR 2 GE+
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After recently having the chance to use the HD PVR 2 GE+, I have decided to do a mini comparison below:
(+ Positive | / Neutral | - Negative).

♦ Elgato:

+ Sleek looking, very lightweight and portable.
+ Simple and clean looking software.
+ Time-shift mode (allows you to go back in-time to record the footage you've missed).
+ Advanced microphone features (Game audio dimming when talking).
+ No power adapter needed.

/ Cables aren't too long (Great for people who love less clutter, not good for people who have their devices further away).

- Requires much higher computer specs to use on your computer:
Windows 7, Windows 8 or later | 2.0 Ghz (or higher) dual core CPU, or 2.0 Ghz (or higher) multi-core i3, i5 or i7 CPU | Sound card | 4GB Total Installed RAM (or higher) | Built-in USB 2.0 port.

♦ Hauppauge:

+ PVR 2 In my opinion looks cooler, especially when the LED lights up.
+ Instant record button on the PVR 2.
+ 5.1 surround sound support via optical cable.
+ Comes with additional editing software where you can add text and effects.
+ Not too demanding on computer specs: Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit), Windows Vista or Windows XP Service Pack 3 | PC with 3.0 GHz single core or 2.0 GHz multi-core processor | 512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended) | Graphics card with 256 MB memory | Sound card | USB 2.0 Port.

/ Cables are long (This for me is EXTREMELY handy for my recent set-up, but some could see this as a nuisance).

- Requires the use of a power adapter.

♦ Both:

+ They are both normally available with a similar price-tag.
+ Easy to set-up.
+ Software is simple to navigate.
+ Commentary features.

- Requires computer to be turned on to pass-through to TV.

Picking one over the other is a very hard choice because they both have their positives and both output top quality.

To date... I much prefer the Elgato software mainly down due to the advanced mic & time-shift features, but when it comes to practicality for my needs, the PVR2GE+ wins with it's longer cables, one-push record and is less resource heavy on my computer.

Both are very good contenders in the Game Capture market and both deserve 5 stars, I would recommend either one so it entirely depends on which suite your needs the most.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic capture card that is the best on the market., 9 Dec 2012
Video Setup / Tutorial / Comparison: [...]
This is one of the best capture cards on the market as it is far smaller then a hd prv and a hd pvr 2. You also don't meed to plug this in at the mains as it gets its power from the usb port. This has a higher bit rate then the hd pvr so will loo a lot better and can achieve full 1080p quality for an xbox or 1080i for ps3. It comes with all the cables you need for either a ps3 or an xbox 360 however if you want to record a wii or other device you will have to buy the correct cable. The software on this device is fantastic and much better then any of its competitors as it offers flashback recording and the ability to live stream directly from the program, furthermore its in build editing software is easy to use, effective and able to work on both pc and mac. I honestly can't say how impressed with this I am however please note you need a better computer then the hd pvr to get this to work; the minimum requirements is a windows 7 pc with a 2.0ghz duel core processor and 4gb or ram. Fpr mac you need Mac OS X 10.7, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.

You won't be disappointed with this, you may want to like Elgatos facebook as they post various offers that only last a few hours. I got mine for 109

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, high quality product, 30 Jun 2013
I have tried the hauppauge hd pvrs and found them to have loads of faults including constant signal loss causing only small recordings, this was also caused by the unit constantly overheating. The Elgato Game Capture Hd is the opposite, no signal loss whatsoever, excellent quality video, the unit has been used all day and not overheated or malfunctioned in any way. It is extremely easy to set up, you can be recording in just a few minutes, the software seems a little more basic than the hauppauge but it has all you need all nice and tidy and easy to find. This unit also records in 1080p and 30mbps which is more than double what the hauppauge can do! I just wish I had heard of this before I got the hauppauge because I wouldn't have wasted my time with it! Well done Elgato for producing an easy to use, user friendly high quality product, highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars EL-FANTASTICO, 27 Jun 2013
Top class product , my 12 year old set the elgato up and runing in under 5mins ,would recomend this product to anyone who wants to make utube vids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Game Recorder!, 19 Nov 2013
I would highly recommend this product to anyone wanting to record game footage, after having purchased the HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition i found it too long to set up, didn't always work and decided to sell it, giving me enough money to buy the elgato. I thought i'd invest in the product as starting up a youtube channel for video game commentaries, and this is by far the best game recorder money can buy. Easy to use, small, and very few wires meaning it takes just 25 seconds to set up on my laptop. Love it! :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome and useful., 18 Jun 2013
This thing has got my youtube started with flying colors, thank you elgato for making a brilliant product! 5* For how good it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 1 Feb 2014
I bought this to record PC gameplay. It's not quite as simple to get setup fully as it is if you're using and Xbox or PS3 etc.

I ended up having to buy a couple of extra cables to get game audio recorded: I first had to split my speaker output on my PC (so I could send audio to my speakers and ALSO to the Elgato). So search for "3.5mm headphone splitter".

To connect the above cable to the Elgato I had to get a 3.5mm to RCA phono adapter. (a mini headphone lead on one end and a red and white rca plugs at the other.)

The elgato comes with a cable containing red,green and blue inputs and also a red/white input (all in the one cable), I connected the 3.5mm to RCA to the red/white of the the big Elgato cable and the other end of the 3.5mm to RCA (the 3.5mm end) to the headphone splitter. In the Elgato software you need to select "Other" as the input and TICK the box "with analogue audio"

Wow, I've made that sound complicated - it isn't, but I'll admit that it took me a few hours to get my head around it all and what cables I'd need.

The elgato will record a PC mic directly through it's software, but I tend to use Audacity to record my voice separately so I can alter game audio and voice levels independently.

Video quality is brilliant and it will either upload straight to youtube or save the file locally for editing in Vegas or other editor.

The time-shift feature is good too. When I record Minecraft I just put the game full screen (which stops me clicking any other place on the screens), so at the end I just scroll back through the video to the start, hit 'record' then hit 'stop recording' again at the end.

My days of Fraps and Dxtory are over! My PC is a decent Core i5 with 16GB RAM and a HD6870 gpu, but I was still losing fps when recording with fraps / dxtory.

Highly recommend this if you're into any kind of recording - whether it be as simple as a PC screen tutorial, PC gaming or console gaming.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Capture Device, 12 Aug 2013
I've been looking for an HD capture device for a long time now, and after gathering a lot of information, I decided to go for the Elgato.
In truth, I always wanted a BlackMagic Intensity Pro, but the Game Capture HD was less expensive and in the current situation, I preferred having my device external rather than having it in PCIe.

First, the quality is nearly as good as PCIe devices, making this one of the best USB 2.0 capture device I've tried. The software it comes with has minimal options to adjust brightness, contrast, etc., and lets you create profiles based on your settings. It has two modes: Capture and Edit. In capture mode, you obviously record what's on screen. Being a USB device, there is a small delay between what's really happening and what you see in the software, but luckily the Elgato has an HDMI port that can be used for "live" playback. For this reason I strongly recommend having a second monitor (I actually consider it as a requirement).
In edit mode, you can modify the length of your videos, take a screenshot of the current position within a recorded video, and you can convert them to MP4 or upload them to different video hosting websites.
Note that the capture mode does NOT have a screenshot button, but a shortcut does exist: CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+C. It's a lot of keys to press for a screenshot and it bothers me, as they could of simply added a screenshot button to the interface within this mode. Game Capture HD is still fairly new among the competitors, so I expect this to be added in a future update.

The software has a nice feature which I hadn't seen before: It keeps in memory a certain amount of time of your video. If I remember it's called Flash playback. For example, if you are playing a video game and saw something nice but weren't recording, you can use this option to rewind your gameplay within the software to record it.

Pros:
- Easy to install.
- Good quality.
- Comes with all the necessary cables.
- Game Capture HD software is simple.
- Software has both a "capture" and "edit" mode, allowing you to do simple editing.
- Allows you to stream to YouTube and Twitch.
- Allows you to convert recordings to MP4 for easy use in video editors.
- Allows you to directly upload to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and to email within the software itself.
- Extremely good customer support (I had to contact them for a minor thing).

Cons:
- PCIe will still deliver better quality, but that is to be expected.
- No screenshot button in "capture" mode for quick capture.
- Could have more options and settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars General review, 18 Jun 2013
It is a quality bit of kit, it is well worth it's money. It's very easy to use and set up and the editing software is very easy to use. Overly pleased with it