4.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully the prequel to more, 14 May 2012
This review is from: The Deluge of Elias (Kindle Edition)
I know this is a short story but I felt it could've possibly been fleshed out a bit more. I get the feeling it was set in a sort of post-apocalyptic world but this was never confirmed or denied, so it may not have been, it may have been the author's idea of this world if some things had been different or it may have been set in another world or time. I just felt it could've used a bit more explanation for things.

If Nicol goes on to write a full length story it would make a good prequel novella, but as a stand alone it's too confusing. As I said, I would've liked a bit more explanation, I felt a bit confused and bombarded with information that made no sense to me. Otherwise, it was a fairly entertaining and quick read, definitely potential for further stories to come from that ending.

Edit: Based on the newer tweaked release of Deluge of Elias and the knowledge that Nicol did in fact mean for this to be a prequel to a full length novel, I have changed my rating. I'm sure my confusion will be cleared up in the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful read, 30 May 2013
This review is from: The Deluge of Elias (Kindle Edition)
"The Deluge of Elias" by David Nicol is a well written short story with a great futuristic setting. As in many such stories nature has become volatile and humans need protection in a shielding dome. Elias suffers from visionary nightmares that even drugs from the Dome authorities can not suppress.
Since the controllers of this society do not tolerate any kind of dissent it is up to Elias to try and save the inhabitants of the Dome.
Although the premise is not innovative per se, the writing is particularly strong in this short story and creates a breath taking and magnetic flow of the story. Elias is a convincing and likeable character, his predicament well explained and also something anyone will be able to relate to.
The book seems like a call for civil courage, a plea for individuals to fight against self involved, power hungry and deluded authorities, against mind control and forcefully upheld cults.
A powerful read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 28 May 2013
This review is from: The Deluge of Elias (Kindle Edition)
Very well written short story. I thoroughly enjoy it - well done to the author. I look forward to reading more from this author

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this!, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Deluge of Elias (Kindle Edition)
I loved this story !! This is definitely one of those books do not start to read if you have anything else to do. I didn't want to put it down!! It made me think of a cross between the Hunger Games and the classic Logans Run. Would have loved it to have been more of a novel than a story. I have read two stories from this author and will be watching for more!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting short story, 5 Aug 2012
C. R. Bullock "crjb" (Colchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Deluge of Elias (Kindle Edition)
A well written futuristic short story similar in ideas to 'Logans Run' but with a much different ending. Although the idea is not new, it held my attention right to the unexpected conclusion.

The Deluge of Elias