4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, very good for the money
I spent a lot of time reading reviews for these binoculars, other 10x binoculars in the Vanguard range, and of their competition. In the end I plumped for these as they seemed as though they'd be as good as competitors up to around the £300 mark.

While I haven't tried any of their competitors, I can confirm that the Endeavour ED are great quality.

If...
Published 11 months ago by Graham Ashton

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but a bit disappointed
I had decided to purchase a new set of binoculars to use instead of my current Opticron MCF 10x24 which I purchased for about £50 in the early 80's.
I decided on the Endeavour ED 10X42 binoculars for the following reasons:
I wanted a pair of binoculars I could use with glasses,
I wanted a pair of binoculars that would give a bit more light in lower...
Published 14 months ago by Roy

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but a bit disappointed, 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: Vanguard Endeavor ED 10x42 Waterproof Binoculars with Case (Electronics)
I decided on the Endeavour ED 10X42 binoculars for the following reasons:
I wanted a pair of binoculars I could use with glasses,
I wanted a pair of binoculars that would give a bit more light in lower light,
I was hoping for slightly better quality.
With the above being considered I did a fair bit of research and came up with the model I finally chose.
The reason I have only given these binoculars a 3 star rating is that on trying them from bright sunlight to night time under street lighting I could see little difference in light gathering or sharpness of image compared to my previous binoculars.The new binoculars are also considerably heavier which would not be a problem if there had been a noticeable improvement in image or brightness in lower lighting conditions.
The binoculars do appear to be of a solid build quality and can be used with my glasses on although I find that I am at limit of eye relief in that I have to press glasses partly into fully retracted eye cups to get full image.
Quality overall pretty good so do not want to put others off but was expecting better for the price considering technology and lens coatings have moved on in the last thirty years....or maybe not!

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, very good for the money, 18 Nov 2013
Graham Ashton (West Sussex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

If you've done your research you'll no doubt have found some discussion online of colour fringing. It seems as though some people are unable to detect it, while others complain that the edges of objects silhouetted against a skyline are subject to green/purple edges. I can see it, and while I was initially quite disappointed and considered returning them, I persuaded myself to take them for a more realistic test than ogling chimney pots of the houses on my street. Not all the things I'll want to look at will be silhouetted against a white sky, and the fringes of colour don't appear when viewing objects that don't have a bright sky behind.

I discovered two things; 1) I could affect the degree to which the fringing appeared by moving my eye relative to the centre of the eyepiece (the closer my eye was to the middle, the less visible the thin purple outline) and 2) the image quality is pretty damned good, and when viewing things that weren't silhouetted against the sky I really couldn't fault them.

I did some more reading and concluded I'd probably need to spend around double the price in order to get some bins that I thought would be better (it seems the ED are among the crispest in this price bracket), so I opted to keep them. I took them on a trip to the west coast of Scotland, and was very happy with their performance.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic optics, 18 Jun 2013
I did my research before deciding to purchase these award winning bins. I was genuinely delighted with the quality - the ED glass produces an amazingly clear and colourful view. Far better than my Monarchs (which were good). A real pleasure to use. They feel really comfortable and are very well made. Excellent field of view (6.5 degrees) also better than my Nikons.
The only minor disadvantages are that at 730g they are slightly heavier than the very lightest available and that you have to be very precise with the focussing wheel - this though you get used to after a few uses and is not a long term issue.

Highly recommended. Superb Value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seeing is believing!, 12 Dec 2013
Oh I just hate how reviews tell you how wonderful something is without attaching the emotional and deeper thoughts of the reviewer, so let me start by saying when these binoculars arrived they felt slightly heavier than I expected.

Clearly they feel well made and even the box feels like quality.

I've always wanted a great pair of binoculars and was persuaded to go with these after reading reviews and understanding more about the 10x42.

They give me a wider view and they are sharp and very bright.

They give you the sense that they could sit on the mantle piece for all to see and be handy when you need them.

Everything you've read about them being top notch is true and correct... just be aware though that the weight is really the compromise on price other than that ... excellent.

Don't get me wrong they feel well balanced and easy to handle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vanguard Endeavor ED 10x42 Waterproof Binoculars with Case, 16 Aug 2013
I did a lot research on review sites before deciding to purchase these binoculars, i can honestly say they have lived up to their high reviews.
A pleasure to use, a bit heavier than my last pair but this does not detract, they are really comfortable to hold and are well made.
A good quality case is provided, quality neck strap, clever adjustment on strap, pity the case zip did not have two zip tabs.
I am very pleased with my purchase and can highly recommend these binoculars for general use and birdwatching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 April 2014
I have had several pairs of bins over the years both cheaper and more expensive. These have been the best so far. They are easy to handle and adjust. I have found them particularly good at low light levels. Brilliant bins at a very reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning optics at an incredible price., 17 Aug 2014
Pat (Mid Wales) - See all my reviews
I read all the reviews on these but still had a nagging doubt as to their optical quality and robustness. I should have listened to all the rave reviews and recommendations as these are a truly excellent pair of binoculars. The one question I have left is how do they do it for the money?

Beautifully made and covered in a very robust rubber skin, these bino's are built to last and feel extremely good in the hand. Whilst not light, they are very well designed and everything feels precision made. The focus wheel is excellent and is very smooth and very fast to adjust. It took a while to adjust from my wife's Nikon HG's but using an index finger either side of the wheel results in almost instantaneous focus. Very impressed.

The overall build quality is excellent and the supplied straps are very cleverly designed to offer either a hand grip, or a neck strap. The case is basic and unpadded but more than adequate.

I particularly like the diopter lock arrangement. It is too easy to accidentally move the diopter adjustment lens on most bino's but the lock provided is very effective.

Excellent binoculars at a very attractive price as there is a new model on the horizon. But they will have to be more than excellent to improve upon these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 10 Jun 2013
(VINE VOICE)
I bought these direct from Carmarthen Camera Centre rather than via their outlet on Amazon. They arrived promptly. The current offer also meant I received twenty pounds cashback.

Construction

They have a very solid feel to them, and are open bridge, so are easy to hold. They replaced an old pair of Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 8x30, which were particularly light, but I didn't notice the extra weight, as the strap is wide and distributes the weight of 730g well. Plus, the case is featherweight light, unlike the leather Zeiss one. They are easy to hold steady for a 10x pair, so are good for hand-held birdwatching, though there is a tripod attachment point if needed. This needs an L-shaped adapter. They are rubber armoured, and the eyecups are also rubber coated. They are waterproof, being nitrogen filled.

In Use

Adjusting the diopter setting is easy, and there is a convenient lock: you pull the eyecups out, adjust, then push back. Having tried this, and wishing to try these on a sunny day at Bempton cliffs, sharing them with my wife, I decided to retract the eyecups and use them with glasses on, an impossible feat with my previous Zeiss's. The exit pupil was just adequate for both of us. We could see a good field of view without removing our glasses. (Eye relief is 16.5mm, in case you are interested. If this is not enough, you could go for the 8x version.) The view was bright and clear and they were easy to focus, the focus being fast and accurate. The bridge is reassuringly stiff, too, to adjust for inter-pupillary distance.

Quality

The specs are impressive: ED (extra density) lenses; silver coated reflective surfaces inside; multi-coating; 342' field at 1000 yards. The only minor blemish is close focusing distance of just over 8'. This is not a problem to me, as I regard that as very good. Overall, the specification of these binoculars puts a pair of Swarovskis costing seven times as much to shame! For sheer value-for-money, these are unbeatable.

Extras

You get a tight-fitting cushioned case with these, and a complicated mechanism that allows the strap to be transferred between binoculars and case. If you like, you can have a long case strap and short binocular strap, or even string the two together.

One thing I particularly like is the lens caps. The eyepieces have a bridged cap that can be threaded on the strap, so you don't lose it. The caps on the objective lenses can either be folded down in use, again so you don't lose them, or else removed completely. There is nothing worse than juggling four lens caps when trying to view something, and these binoculars provide an easy solution.

Conclusion

I did a lot of research before buying these. They replace a pair I have had for some 35 years. They have not disappointed me. In fact, they exceeded my expectations. Buy them with confidence that you are getting a real bargain, a high quality set of binoculars that should last a lifetime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Binoculars, well worth the money!, 25 July 2014
I did a lot of research before choosing the Vanguard Endeavor 10 x 42 binoculars and this pair seemed to consistently come out well in the various reviews I looked through, even without the cash back offer.
I bought these binoculars for general use, bird-watching, car racing and I'm looking forward to taking them on a cruise in the Caribbean next year, the last time I went, I really missed having a good pair of binoculars.
The quality of manufacture is superb and although slightly weighty can be held with quite some stability for a long time although it's possible to attach them to a tripod.
Wearing glasses and having very bad short sightedness meant that I was looking for a pair with long eye relief and these certainly have this with both lenses having adjustable long eye relief.
I even got a great view of the moon the other night, much better than faffing about with a reflector telescope.
They come with a good case and the strap can be linked to form a carry handle
These binoculars live up to the reviews I've read and so far I can't recommend them enough, perfect for all round activity, clear and bright and well made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great high quality optics, 23 Sep 2014
I studied many review sites and forum posts before deciding on these award winning binoculars.

On first opening the package my first impression was how solidly they were built and how comfortable and well balanced they felt in the hand. I have now used them for a few weeks and can confirm that they do indeed deserve the good reviews they have received. The FOV is very good for binoculars of this power and the image produced by the ED glass is very clear and bright. They are slightly heavier than some other rival binoculars but find the extra weight useful for helping to steady them especially when it gets a bit breezy. The focus wheel is very precise but rather fast which may not to be to everyone's liking but works great for me. The case provided is good quality and the neck strap is a clever design that can be easily swapped between the binoculars and the case and set as either a long neck strap or shorter wrist strap using the quick release buckles.

I am very pleased with my purchase and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone wanting a quality set of binoculars.