Format: Blu-rayChange

I admit, the accompanying album, Kisses On The Bottom (Deluxe Edition Digipack) took a while to grow on me; as much as I love the genre, I wasn't convinced by Paul's interpretation of them.

Over time, and with the help of this film, I have been converted. And I think it could change a lot of other peoples' perceptions about the man and his music too. It shows there is yet another string in his bow.

The interactions between Paul and everyone on this film, from his own crew, to session musicians to famous musicians, are natural, relaxed and on an equal level. This, coupled with his obvious self-deprecating sense of humour and general ability to laugh, put everyone at ease and endeared him to those he worked with and definitely to me watching this documentary.

The session drummer described these sessions as being "free", showing how relaxed and friendly it was, which clearly shows in the footage of them recording. Everyone seems to feel comfortable and joyous.

It's a fascinating insight into the creative process of this album, and to paraphrase what the bass player on these sessions said, he respects the music, which makes me respect him. Praise for Paul comes from everyone who is interviewed, including Eric Clapton, who despite his own illustrious career, spoke of his reverence for some of the stellar musicians also playing on this record.

At this stage in Paul's career, it is good to see him fulfill such a long-held ambition (according to Joe Walsh). He breathes new life into some old songs, is faithful to Sinatra with his cover of We Three and his own contribution of My Valentine is sublime. It fits in perfectly with the rest of the recordings, and is further proof that the man is versatile. Generally speaking, I think Frank Sinatra and his songs are untouchable, but I was certainly impressed by the version of We Three I heard here.

The film also goes a little into the history of the Capitol building; from the photographs on the walls of legends who have previously graced its studio floors (ie Nat King Cole, Sinatra and Coltrane, to the continued use of the vintage preamps, microphones and compressors, even the marks left by Les Paul by way of the echo chambers he originally designed...a fascintating taster of how the built environment helped shape this album.

Paul said that the last time there was such an adverse reaction to any title he had suggested, it was the name The Beatles, which some associated too much with creepy crawly insects. Kisses On The Bottom had the same impact and it certainly adds another dimension to the (still) cute Beatle.
11 comment15 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 February 2013
What a thrill ....
Very professionnal musicians ,
Cool ambiance ,
Super audio .... and black&white video
Don't hesitate a second : Buy this Blu Ray !
on 9 August 2013
Just when you think Paul cant get any better, he releases more works of entertainment perfection. Includes different versions than found on the Kisses On The Bottom audio CD. A must own for all.
on 19 November 2012
Live Kisses is a superb collection of standards (as well as Macca's self penned 'My Valentine') played live at Capitol Studios mixed with interviews as well as the music videos for 'My Valentine'.

Anyone who bought (and enjoyed) Kisses On The Bottom is in for a real treat as the quality on show here is outstanding (especially Diana Krall on the piano) and the whole package is very well presented with a 40 page book that delves into the way the show and album came together.

Having seen Paul in concert several times it still seems strange to see him sat down (not standing holding his legendary Hofner or Les Paul) but the intimacy of the show soon has you enjoying what could be one of the live performances of the decade.

Buy it, sit back unplug the phone & savour......... sheer quality
22 comments5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 June 2013
Only huge artist like McCartney can make a great disc from other artists songs.
With no ego and just lots of respect and love to the music
on 21 April 2013
I was originally going to purchase the vinyl version but then I thought it would be fascinating to see how such exemplary exponents of their craft worked together to produce a finished, detailed recording of the highest quality. I still recommend the LP for pure listening pleasure but his video gives us a fascinating insight into how athe cream of pop and jazz mucisians work together in private.
on 29 December 2012
Paul - the perfect musician - what a star, Everything, music, performance and musicians top !!!!!
If you are a McCartney fan, don't hesitate to buy it, you won't be disappointed.
on 21 April 2013
Sir Paul McCartney is always great.
Now he just sings, lovely old songs, from other composers.
Almost all in black & white, it's an excellent Blu-Ray mainly to listen to.
on 12 January 2014
I listened to the cd with this music and I wasn't moved by it. My friend told me to buy this concert and I followed his advice. It was the best decision! I love this concert. It is not only the beautiful music and very delicate performance of Paul Mccartney. It is also the precision of implementation and the way of presenting the event. The team is full of famous names, great musicians whom I love. Buy it at once!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 December 2012
Just buy this DVD!
McCartney is excellent - The absolutely gorgeous Diana Krall and her band of talented musicians are a perfect foil for the singer and the song choice is superb.
On my Sony/Yamaha 5.1 DTS system the sound is superb (the double bass parts are very tangible) and the video direction is subtle, but to the point.All in all, a fitting testament to great musical talents AND the virtues of the Blu-ray format
I feel that this DVD is destined for legendary status