5.0 out of 5 stars ASTONISHING TALENT
Published on 12 Jun 2012 by Tony

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good as her previous albums
I love Amy's music, and her positive view on life, but I feel that after her superb first album, and excellent second, this one is slightly disappointing. The folky edge has almost gone, and some of the tunes are rather less memorable. I like the songs 'across the nile and 'The Game best, but there are perhaps too many fillers here.
Published 19 months ago by Mr. Christopher N. Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars ASTONISHING TALENT, 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: Life In A Beautiful Light (Audio CD)
Cheryl Cole, eat your heart out. This is what songwriting, singing and performing is about. No gimmicks, no silly hair, no silly clothes or silly dance routines. Amy MacDonald is not yet 25 and has released three brilliant albums which are right up there amongst my favourites ever and I'm 50 years old with a massive CD collection. If you can hear this on a top quality hi-fi, you will realise how well produced and mixed this is and what a great voice Amy has. Miss MacDonald chooses her musical collaborators well. I can't wait for the next album. Sooner or later, the UK will wake up to Amy's ability. Wake up BBC and get this woman on Later with Jools Holland.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freaking awesome, 11 Jun 2012
Have been looking forward to this album for a long time and it does not disappoint!

The album flows perfectly from start to finish with no dud songs, every one is a potential single. The highlights for me include slow it down, 4th of july, the days of being young and free and left that body long ago (which has me in tears!).

It has been a while since I have listened to an album and loved it from the first play! I would highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Big album from a big talent with a big heart, 25 Jun 2012
This review is from: Life In A Beautiful Light (Audio CD)
Like the other reviewers I was straining at the leash in anticipation of Amy's 3rd album and like them I was totally blown away. Having grown up in the 70s, and now starting to fossilise, I know a great album when I hear one and believe me folks, Life in a Beautiful Light lives up to its namesake and is as engaging as the best of them. Pretty much all of the songs are standouts and hang together to make a cohesive whole but if I had to pick favourites then I'd choose the title track and "In the End". The former concludes with a gorgeous musical climax and the latter closes the set in a thought provoking manner, both lyrically and musically, especially when Amy chimes in unexpectedly with a lovely acoustic ballad that left me gasping for more. I am glad that this young mega-talent continues to remain true to her music and to herself. Her fans are better off as a result. Respect!

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECTION FOR THE THIRD TIME IN A ROW!!!, 11 Jun 2012
My expectations are always set very high when it comes to an album by Amy MacDonald, and this recording exceeds all of them. As much as I love her first two albums (which had many stellar standouts), this one seems to be her best achievement. It flows so well and is so inspiring on so many levels. It's like therapy for the body, mind and soul. When I listen to this recording from beginning to end, I feel like I've escaped reality for a moment to sooth my senses. I mentioned it on "A Curious Thing," and I'll mention it again for "Life In A Beautiful Light"--the piano/keyboard player is awesome, especially on "The Game" and "Across the Nile." His piano playing on "Across the Nile" sounds like rippling water that makes the song truly spectacular. I wish in his spare time he'd create a solo album of nothing but instrumentals. Amy's band is so awesome and compliments her song writing (which is nothing short of amazing) and her voice perfectly. As with the last two recordings, every song can be a single. Her songs always have a catchy hook that I find myself singing in my head. LIABL is musical perfection. Amy and her band are musical perfection. One can always count on that. I think she's the best artist that has surfaced in the last twenty years. I hope she tours here in the U.S. because the music we have here is 99% ghastly. It's so nice to listen to someone who has talent for a change.

4.0 out of 5 stars another gem, 16 Jun 2012
andrew bentley (london, n/a England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life In A Beautiful Light (Audio CD)
after listening to her first 2 albums and suprisingly liking them i had a doubts about buying this new album and once again i was not disappointed..from the 1st listen there was instantly memorable tracks and one of my favorites is the haunting left that body long a go a truly atmospheric track also like 4th of july, slow it down and across the nile which has a very u2 type sound to it. the great thing about this young lady apart from being very talented is that she just comes across as a very down to earth person who writes great songs! comparing her music to cheryl coles efforts and there really is no comparison in the talent stakes,, if i had one small gripe about this album its that a few tracks seem a little the same and for her next album it would be nice to see her experiment a bit further. apart from that tho a hugely enjoyable album.

4.0 out of 5 stars A unique talent......, 30 Jun 2012
IOWBOY - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Life In A Beautiful Light (Audio CD)
The thing I love about Amy Macdonald is that she is unique; when she sings there is no doubt who it is.

She has such a beautiful voice and writes the most amazingly heartfelt lyrics that always tell a story.

I have loved her first two albums, listening to them regularly, as much as any others in my collection; I have been eagerly awaiting this release for quite some time, so understandably my expectations were extremely high..........

And that is perhaps where there is an ever so slight disappointment.

Don't get me wrong it's a great album, but at the moment (after about half a dozen listens) it is yet to grab me in the same way as the previous releases.

I don't mean to suggest in any way that this album is anything but excellent, it's far superior to most others released recently, it's just that with such high expectations it was always up against it!

I will continue to listen to it, and still remain confident that it will just 'click' at some point, I will then undoubtedly have to change the four stars to five!

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG YOU'D BE MAD TO MISS OUT!!!, 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: Life In A Beautiful Light (Audio CD)
I have waited patiently for this Album to come out and now it's here it's MIND BLOWING!!!
Her 1st and 2nd Albums were ACE so I did wonder could she do it a third time? Could She! The hairs stand up on the back of your arms just from reading the song titles. The songs themselves are true to her class and talent of being a singer songwriter! The words are so meaningful and genuine, something you know can't simply be whipped up overnight. I'd say that by Amy taking a year out to write her songs in her own time and with real life experiences has been a genius move.
Her TV Documentary the other day was amazing. It allowed you to see the behind the scenes side of her and she's exactly what I thought she was, an honest talented young lady who knows exactly what she wants and doesn't stop Til she succeeds.
Going back to this albums songs, she has obviously experienced so much in life causing her to write such terrific songs that it would be nice for her to follow on from her documentary and expand it with either a film or a book OR both so we can experience her experiences too!
Well Done Amy!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the AmazingWork :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amy Macdonald, 19 July 2012
Amazon Customer (Thornton-Cleveleys) - See all my reviews
I am a pensioner and have liked music since my teans and Amy is the best singer songwriter to emerge in my life time. Keep it up girl!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still stunning and getting better!, 16 July 2012
beretta - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Life In A Beautiful Light (Audio CD)
I get a little bored writing music reviews simply because different folk like different things, BUT when it comes to our Amy I just have to say something!!
This girl is in a class of her own, she has never made a bad album, never put fillers in her albums and every word this wee lass writes actually means something...Look, I am not going to go on and on about each track like some of the sad folk on here, just go and buy this (and her other 2) albums and you life will be so much better for it!
So uplifting and so, so perfect!

Thanks Amy for enriching my life, God bless you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Life In A Beautiful Light (Audio CD)
Having purchased this album shortly after release I thought that I would wait until after a few plays to write a review. I have played it many times and prefer this to her first two albums, although they were both good, as it has no tracks that I skip past. 'Left that body long ago' is a slower thoughtful song about alzheimers which will ring true with many people thinking of a parent with the same condition. 'The green and the blue' is one of my favourite tracks but really there is not a filler track in evidence.

Life In A Beautiful Light
Life In A Beautiful Light by Amy Macdonald (Audio CD - 2012)