4.0 out of 5 stars A fast moving psychological thriller
Published 23 months ago by C. Bannister

3.0 out of 5 stars easy reading
Liked the style of writing, but quite a bit of what went on was superfluous to the plot which sorry to say was rather far fetched. Olivia was in parts irritating & contradictory & the protagonist was quite peculiar & I kept thinking as if that or this would be possible. In one part of the book a hotel room was needed & lo & behold a cancellation & when they got there...
Published 9 months ago by musiclover

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A fast moving psychological thriller, 14 Oct 2012
C. Bannister (Jersey, CI) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Do Me No Harm (Kindle Edition)
Do me no Harm's central character is Olivia Sommers, a newly divorced GP who is on a date when she receives a call that her seventeen year old son has collapsed and in hospital. It appears that Robbie has taken drugs and his father is furious at her for allowing this to happen. Phil Sommers is a psychologist and doesn't believe either her or Robbie when they insist that his drink must have been spiked.

This is a psychological thriller which moves at speed as the police become involved trying to discover who would want to harm the likeable Robbie. The characters are well drawn including eleven year old Lauren, Olivia's daughter. As a reader I had sympathy, and even shed the odd tear, as the narrative continued which marks out Julie Corbin to be a writer of talent.

Although the reason why Robbie was targeted is well signposted, there are still a few twists in the tale to make this worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Do Me No Harm (Kindle Edition)
Haven't read a book for a while that I couldn't put down so this was a real treat. Very believable plot line, interweaving through the emotions mother's have towards their children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: Do Me No Harm (Kindle Edition)
I have read all Julies books now. I loved them all. I felt as though I was on the bridge when it all kicked off. Past haunting Olivia, you really got to know this strong character. Brilliant!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A doctor's fatal mistake comes back to haunt her, 11 Jun 2012
M. Parks - See all my reviews
This review is from: Do Me No Harm (Kindle Edition)
We trust our lives with the people in white coats. What would happen if one of them slipped away by a careless error brought about through tiredness and negligence? Would we seek revenge, retribution? This is explored in Julie Corbin's third novel, Do Me No Harm - as tightly written, carefully plotted and compelling as her first two. She challenges what it means to keep a family together, and how quickly trust in others and ourselves can fall away.

Dr Olivia's guilt-driven sympathy for the perpetrator is finally tested to the limit and the ending, while satisfying, is ripe for a sequel. Bring it on!

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing read, 29 April 2013
This review is from: Do Me No Harm (Kindle Edition)
So pleased I have discovered a new author who is now on my list of favourites. Along with her other two books, "Tell Me No Secrets" and "Where the Truth Lies", this book is definitely one I would recommend and which I would re-read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hits all the buttons, 13 Jun 2012
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Do Me No Harm (Hardcover)
Having recently read a thriller that didn't satisfy me I thought that I'd give a Julie Corbin tale a go, after all I've had friends recommend her to me so I thought that it was high time with a gap in my reading schedule that I took the chance. What unfurls in this, her third release, is a tale of action, of danger and of course a scenario where a lot of elements clash high above the principle characters head as she struggles to swim in the treacherous sea where one false move will see her dead.

The writing is crisp, the prose just as sharp but for me the key feature of this story was the character of Olivia who really took the tale to emotional heights for the reader as she was not only believable but one that you routed for from the start. Add to this solid dialogue and a pretty good turn of pace to keep you glued and all in I was left more than satisfied at the tales conclusion. I will definitely be reading more of Julie in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3rd book and getting better and better, 7 Jun 2012
Do Me No Harm
Julie Corbin

I was lucky enough to get an early copy of this, the 3rd book by Julie Corbin. I loved both her other books so I was excited to start on this one. Luckily I woke very, very early this morning, so settled with coffee at 4.30 I started.
I was so happy I could read it all in the one sitting as I would have had a very hard time to leave it! It got right under my skin, and I had to know what was going on! The main character, Olivia, is a GP, and single parent of a teenage boy Robbie, and his younger sister Lauren. She is recently divorced from Phil, another doctor, so is a little emotionally raw still. Then one night it starts, she gets a phone call that Robbie has been rushed to hospital, and it turns out that although he had been drinking a little, he had a very nasty drug in his system which had caused him to hallucinate and eventually collapse knocking his head. The drug doze was such that it could have killed him, and in fact his heart did stop beating at one stage. Olivia is convinced that her son is telling the truth, that he does not take drugs, and so the only explanation is that his drink was spiked! But why? And who?

Olivia struggles to make the police and her ex-husband believe that her son is not into drugs and that a crime has taken place. The events that follow begin to show that the family are being targeted, and so Olivia is right.
While trying to understand what is going on, looking into the past to find a reason, and then to discover who could be behind it all, Olivia becomes close to the policeman, D I O'Reilly, who is investigating the case, but when Olivia begins to think she has worked out what is going on she is reluctant to share the information with him.
The action is fast, the characters real, the brutal revelations from the past hard to live with, but they all bring the situation up to date. The human mistakes and lies which are revealed are both shocking and yet real, and help to paint the picture of the current situation. Then Olivia begins to realise that events are moving too quickly and they have real reason to be terrified.
Apart from the odd cup of coffee, and changing of the CD, I sat and read to the end, as I already, said, I was just so glad it was Sunday and I was in a position to do just that. This book is highly recommended, but please make sure you have plenty of time, because I promise you will not want to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling toe curling read, 18 Oct 2012
realovesbooks (South east London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Do Me No Harm (Kindle Edition)
I sat and devoured this book in one sitting it was so thrilling and gripping that it just didn't feel safe to put down!

Each of the characters had a great depth to them which is great considering the amount of characters that were involved in this storyline. Olivia is a great character in this book she brought all kinds of emotions from vulnerability to tough and focused woman when trying to discover the truth and we see the lengths she would go to to protect her children and I genuinely felt for Olivia when we found out the secret she was hiding from her past.

I don't often read mystery/thrillers as I find with so many twists and turns, I often lost track with what's going on and who are on the good side and who are on the bad side but with this book it wasn't the case, there were twists and turns but everything flowed smoothly so you don't lose track and it becomes quite clear who is on the dark side!

Some parts were a little predictable but there was such a big storyline that it really didn't affect the likeability of this book. I loved the romance that is slowly blossoming under the dark storyline it helps to lighten this tense read.

A compelling and gripping read that needs to come with muscle relaxants!

2.0 out of 5 stars Charity Sticker, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Do Me No Harm (Paperback)
I paid £2.80 for this book (plus p&p) and when it arrived it had a huge 50p charity sticker on the front. I completely understand that people use amazon to make money, but I think there is something a little insulting sending me a book with a 50p Red Cross sticker on it, knowing that I have just paid more than five times that value for it. It is a bit of a kick in the teeth. Again, I understand amazon is used to make money, but at least have the decency to take the sticker off first! Now I just feel totally ripped off. In the future I will just buy my books direct from charity shops and know I will get them for a cheaper price.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: Do Me No Harm (Kindle Edition)
The author can make even the most boring mundane things very very readable. Julie Corbin always manages to keep family values even in the most unconventional of families.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›