I got these headphones to replace my Bose OE2i headphones, which i sent back due to a faulty cable. I had heard a lot about the Bowers and Wilkins brand and felt I should give them a shot. I am going to compare these with my OE2is as I feel a lot of people may be considering these two

Packaging/Presentation:
To start off with, unlike the Bose OE2i, which...
Published 18 months ago by shok

1.0 out of 5 stars Superb sound but uncomfortable
As with all high end products, they sound better after some running in. Therefore I left them to play various music for about 30 hours. The sound is first class!

Published 3 months ago by Mr R M Jordan

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific headphones, worth every penny, but make sure to let them "burn in" before passing judgement, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins P3 On-Ear Headphones B&W - White (Electronics)

Packaging/Presentation:
To start off with, unlike the Bose OE2i, which arrived in very cheap plastic packing, the P3s come in an Apple-like box with a picture of the product on top. Already looks like quality. When you open the box, you see the white hard case, and the presentation straight away makes you feel like this is an expensive product (as it is). Inside the case, the headphones are folded with the default wire being the iPod/iPhone compatible cable. There is an additional cable at the bottom of the box without the remote for non-Apple devices. The cables can be switched very easily, by gently lifting the earcups off (which are magnetically aligned and held)

Build quality/Looks:
When you take the P3s out of the box, and unfold them, once again you feel like this is an expensive product. The quality feels fantastic, and the twisted metal and brushed aluminium finish is just exquisite. The magnetically held and aligned earcups are also beautifully put together. It almost feels like the P3s are worth 170 for the build quality and looks alone. These are probably the best looking headphones out there: very elegant looking, without being brash such as some artist inspired ones. I would say the only downside would be the cable itself, this does feel slightly flimsy. In addition it comes out of both cans, which some people may not like, but I do not really notice.

Sound:
Despite the great looks and the build, the key feature definitely has to be sound when buying headphones at this price. I must admit here that when I used the P3s on the first day, I couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed by the performance. However, after reading some forums, I left the headphones plugged into my laptop for a few hours with music playing at about half volume. This was to let the headphones "burn in".
Now, the sound quality is simply sublime. I can hear bits of the music which I never heard before, even with my OE2i (which I thought were amazing), and everything sounds crisp and sharp, but there is no compromise on the bass; this gently caresses your ears at the required moments, instead of drowning out other bits of the music. These are much better than my OE2i headphones were, and I feel like the extra 20 was definitely worth it for the sound alone.
Noise cancelling is obviously not a feature of these headphones. In general though, the level of cancelling is adequate on most streets, and also on the quieter trains. You can hear music fairly loud on about 70% of the iPhone volume. On the noisier trains such as the Jubilee line and the Victoria line,you may need to turn the volume up to 85-90% of the iPhone to cancel enough noise out. At work I am OK to play my music at 50% volume, still loud enough for a good experience, but does not disturb my neighbours

Overall:
I mainly use these headphones for commuting and using at work. Given their size, and the fact that they fold up into a case makes them very portable. They also look great on the street and The sound quality is exceptionally good for portable headphones, and the build quality terrific. If you are after a great looking pair of good sounding portable headphones, look no further. These are worth the money and more. As I mentioned though, make sure you burn them in before passing any judgement on them...

5.0 out of 5 stars If you buy Beats you are a fool!, 1 Nov 2013
Having owned Both Beats Studio and Beats Solo HD headphones I feel like a fool for not buying these earlier. It has vastly superior sound quality with really deep warm bass that you associate with high end hi-fi systems. Don't think twice about buying these, buy them now!

1.0 out of 5 stars Superb sound but uncomfortable, 28 May 2014

HOWEVER, after about an hour, they become so uncomfortable that I cannot wear them - the headband is actually quite painful to wear. I have quite a small head (smaller than 55cm), so I don't know why this is. No one else seems to have had this problem I have had them for a year and a half and this issue has not improved.

I desperately want to like them as the sound was so good, but, alas, cannot. Perhaps I have a Friday afternoon model.

I have given this only one star as it doesn't matter how good the sound is if you can't wear them! They would have received no stars at all except for the top quality sound. I will contact B&W but don't hold out much hope. I feel that I have wasted 170. Definitely not impressed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound quality & great design, 12 Nov 2012
I've always had a problem with those awful earbud things supplied with the iPhone so have never really used it's 'iPod' capabilities. I'm a bit of a hi-fi snob too, and didn't really consider 'electronic' music to be worth listening to. Wrong: these B&Ws really do bring out the best in MP3s and make them sound more than acceptable.

The balance is neutral, verging on the lean, so none of the terrible bass-heavy thickness of Beats and similar variants. Just fantastic quality sound. That's before you even consider that they are a quality piece of kit, and look great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 31 Oct 2013
J. Twigger (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
These are really nicely made, they look and feel quality. They also sound great! Not quite as good as my Shure SE535s, but the best over ear headphones I've owned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great headphone ! But it keeps hurting my ears a little bit, 24 Aug 2013
It's a pretty nice pair of headphones. Incredible bass response and product design.
It would be perfect if it didn't hurt my ear as I think it is a little bit tight for the size(or whatever) of my head. I don't have a big head, but probably B&W could make it easier to the customers to adjust the pressure from the headphone by themselves. I need to relax my ears every 20 minutes when I use it. But regardless of that, it's a perfect headphone. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Headphones, 12 Aug 2013
Arrived quickly and earlier than advised. The sound out of these is better than headphones you buy for 250, highly recommend them

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant product, 24 Jun 2013
T. Mein (Olive Grove Villas, Chorafakia, Crete) - See all my reviews
From opening the Amazon box to unpacking them, everything about these headphones says "Quality". I do agree with what has previously been said, that these phones take a little time to 'bed-in'. At first they felt a little bit tight on my head and sounded a little bass heavy, but over a few days they settled and now feel and sound great.
Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars In comparison to my AKG451, 2 May 2013
Carlo "money sense" (peterborough, england) - See all my reviews
I find the B&W slightly more comfortable than the AKG451 for continoius listening pleasure. The B&W have a softer laid back sound as opposed to the slightly brighter but more dynamic sound of the AKG451. At around 50 the AKG's are a superb bargain and if you can afford the B&W at around 130+ it is worth getting both. You will not be disappointed with either they are both different and at the same time very good headphones for serious listening.Some people say that the B&W's reveal more detail than the AKG451 but I have to disagree . The vocal sound on the AKG sparkle with extra clarity than on the B&W. If the AKG451 were as comfortable as the B&W they may of held their original price of 130. AKG have pushed the boundaries to achieve a lively set of cans that you either love or hate whereas B&W have opted for a safe sound that pleases the masses.
It is misleading to say one is better than the other because it depends on your mood and the type of music you are listening to that determines the right headphones to put on. Since these two reveal different aspects of the same music they compliment each other really well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Superb Headphones, 24 Nov 2013
Having bought an ipod a couple of years ago and having not being satisfied with the in ear Sennheiser headphones that I purchased at the time I decided to invest in a pair of premium headphones.

I carried out extensive research and everything I found pointed me towards Bowers and Wilkinson. Both the P3 and P5 headphones appeared to suitable but as there was a significant price difference it was essential to try both, along with other alternatives. I tried Beats by Dr Dre but found they produced too much bass. I also tried the Bose AE2, these were very good headphones but when I tried the B&W P3 I was amazed. The headphones produced crystal clear sound both bottom end and top end sound could clearly be heard, there was no distortion and the sound produced was very satisfying and perfectly balanced. I could actually hear parts of tracks that I did not realise existed. I then tried the B&W P5 headphones, these were virtually identical in sound reproduction as the P3's so it became a choice between the P3 and P5.

Whilst it was obviously difficult within a store to judge the comfort of headphones accurately (due to the short time that they are being used) the P3's were comfortable, light and portable. The P5's were probably slightly more comfortable because of the leather headband and ear cushions but there was very little in it. So my decision was based on the following factors: 1. Listening to music on an Ipod I could not really tell any difference in sound reproduction between the two. 2. The comfort factor was marginal, I was not going to be using the headphones for hours on end. 3. The significant price difference. All these factors pointed to the P3.

Having made the purchase I have to say that the product oozes quality from the packaging to the construction. If you are considering a premium pair of headphones at a reasonable price then you can do no better than the B&W P3's.

One word of caution, do not expect the superb sound straight out of the box, the headphones do need to be "burnt in". To do this just leave them connected to an audio device playing at half volume for 5 or 6 hours minimum. If you do this you will not be disappointed.

Bowers & Wilkins P3 On-Ear Headphones B&W - White