on 7 November 2010
This is a good pocket guide and well worth the cost spent on it. Living close to Morocco and a frequent visitor there I would like to see more on the art of bartering in the Souks; Aim and offer a QUARTER of the asking price, always keeping in mind of course, how much you value and want the item. With this in mind, wait and then make second offer of no more than a third. Then listen to the banter explaining the superior quality of the product, the hand made qualities, the uniqueness of it, say "Thank You, I am not that keen anyway..." and walk away. Without a doubt you will be called back to renegociate. Stick to your last offer and walk away again and hey presto, success assured.

Perhaps an enhanced section on what to do with children /families could be added. Marrakech is now an extremely safe and tranquil place for families and certainly not what it was 20 years ago. Explore it by all means but if you can, dont miss Essaouira, the windy town on the coast or more importantly, a three day excursion to the dunes south of Zagora (M'Hamid). However for a real Sahara desert experience, travel due east to the village of Merzouga, where the real and best sand dunes in Morocco can be found. Stay in a Berber tent overnight (you can easily arrange this when you get there, as well as camel rides to and from the tent) for an experience you and your children will not forget. For this excursion you need to stop midway in Todra Gorge and another night in the desert, ditto on the way back.
on 16 March 2010
I love these Top Ten guides! I've just returned from a 4 day break in Marrakech and this guide was indispensable! The top ten Marrakech Highlights section makes sure you don't miss anything on a short break and the Around Town section gives great ideas of where to go if you have a little longer. The fold out map was useful and robust. Brilliant!
on 26 October 2009
The top 10 format is ok, it covers a lot of the good stuff in Marrakech, but not real depth to the guide, so worked great in conjunction with a more detailed guide.

It's nice and simple and has a lot of the sights etc covered.
on 4 November 2012
A basic start to Marrakech. All the infor you need to see the major sites in a few days. A nice small size so it can be carried around each day. Have bought many titles from this series and will buy again.
on 17 April 2012
as with all DK guides, visually interesting and easy to navigate.
short and sweet, so a nice slim guide for carrying around.
however it felt a little repetitive in parts, and because they were pushing the "top 10" format, some of the "top 10's" felt a little contrived. Also because of this "top 10" focus, it didn't inculde any other background stuff eg history of the country, finnance, population demographics, employment - which isn't essential, but would have been interesting.
So if you just want a short and sweet, concise guide book to sightseeing in marrakech (not other parts of morocco) and like the attractive DK presentation - which I do - then this was well worth the £5.
on 16 December 2012
I left my excellent guide book to Marrakech in the UK - stupid I know! Now, changing from printed paper guidebooks is very difficult, it no longer is just about turning the page and then bookmarking the excellent map and flipping back between one and the other, it becomes really complicated and the Lonely Planet guide (for all Morocco, not just Marrakech), although still bad, is so many streets ahead in every way (pun intended) that it casts a shame on the completely unusable and uninformative downloadable guide produced by DK Eyewitness' guide to Marrakech which is unreadable and they have not even been bothered to format it properly for the Kindle.

I buy lots of holiday guides, at least a couple every year for new places I am going to. I have to admit that I probably won't buy any more travel ebooks and stick to the physical guide, this is in direct conflict with my Kindle philosophy (my husband and I own four between the two of us and I haven't bought a non-kindle book for ages). Don't forget your paperback guide but DK Eyewitness is rubbish, far worse than the competition on incidental details and written for people only interrested in ticking off the sites rather than giving them any help.

Never again - I even suspect that the information may not be originally written by the author in parts but I have no proof of this. To add insult to injury DK Eyewitness' guide is pitched at the same price as Lonely Planet so I have totally wasted my money in buying it and could have got a half decent (excellent in paperback form) guide for the same price which I have now had to pay.

Hope this is helpful and, no, I don't work for Lonely Planet and never have, I've just used their guidebooks for over 30 years and I have to admit that the new paper versions are not as good as they were!
on 22 October 2012
Small enough to put in your pocket. Contains all relevant details for the first time visitor. Great map that is waterproof and detachable from book.
on 25 September 2010
Top 10 Marrakech has so much information and beautiful photos but at the same time is small enough to carry with you for easy reference.
on 20 October 2013
My main gripe is the print is so small you need a magnifying glass to read it, especially the maps, as the streets in Marrakech are hardly ever named. There has been a lot of research gone into this book and once you do find where you want to go it has lots of useful information. It does state however that you will not need a guide if you have this book.It's all you need. Perhaps that might be the case if you were staying in Marrakech for 2 months but on a week's visit this is definitely an exaggeration.
Also not enough warnings of hazards,especially in the Souks. The main one being the constant stream of Bicycles,Mopeds, scooters,carts,donkeys,ass's,and people in a hurry roaring past from both directions,making it almost impossible to stop and look at anything without being run over! I could go on for ever about the hazards,In fact there should be a whole paragraph dedicated to it.
Having said all this I was glad I bought the book. There were some lovely pictures in it.
on 17 December 2013
This is one of the better Marrakech guides that I have come across. And I have seen a few, having borrowed several from my library. I decided to purchase this one, because it has a decent sized map included and an easily accessible list of restaurants, tourist spots, hotels etc. The book itself, although small in size, has the essential info one needs to explore a fairly small city like Marrakech. It wont cover much of Moroccan (or Marrakech) history and other facts and figures. But you don't really need that when you are exploring a new place. You can always read up on this stuff on the internet. The book was revised in 2012 and contains accurate info as of end 2013 (when we visited the place). Recommended if you are looking to take just one guide to Marrakech.