5.0 out of 5 stars Life, Love And The Disposable Camera
A thirty something man assists a thirty something woman into a taxi in Charlotte Street, London. The woman is laden down with shopping bags and is somewhat flustered trying to cram all her possessions into the cab. Inadvertently a disposble camera gets left behind as she is driven off. Does the man, who is immediately smitten by her a) make an attempt to return the camera...
Published on 25 May 2012 by Graeme Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars Meanders a bit to start with, but worth persevering
I took a while to read this; it sat on my bedside for weeks, the bookmark moving slowly through it in fits and starts as I read all sorts of other books to avoid reading it. But... I hung on in there and found myself getting interested, getting involved, and finally realising that whatever the blurb says, this is actually a book about getting through life after its kicked...
Published on 20 Jun. 2012 by DebB

‹ Previous | 113 14 15 16 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars they liked, 11 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Charlotte Street (Paperback)
bought as a gift, they liked it

4.0 out of 5 stars Good clean fun, 26 May 2012
Book fiend "Enthusiast" (Petersfield, Hampshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Good clean fun, and I shall look forward to the next one! If you're a fan of Danny Wallace you can't go far wrong with this latest book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Charlotte Street (Paperback)
Good product, good price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Believeable characters & setting, 13 May 2012
This review is from: Charlotte Street (Paperback)
I really like/enjoyed and indeed even encouraged, others to read everything Danny Wallace has written previously. I pre-ordered CS. I have read this in between having to work/have a life ;)It was exactly that-a book I could put down, and pick up again. I liked the plot, most of the characters and the setting; but for me I prefer his non fiction stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Life, Love London, Love Charlotte Street, 3 May 2012
sahara "Sarah" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sometimes a book comes along where a reviewer has little else to say apart from those three magic words....just read it.

For Charlotte Street, Wallace's debut novel, is one of those books which will hold universal appeal, cause enough embarrassment laughing out loud on your public transport of choice and will ultimately tug at the heart strings.

Jason Priestley accidentally is left holding a disposable camera belonging to a girl he helps, with bags as she clambers into a taxi, on Charlotte Street. With little other direction in his life and the idea that maybe this girl could be THE girl, he is encouraged to find her with the help of his best friend, Dev. It is only when the photos are developed that Jason notices he has been captured in one of them; and so the mystery thickens.

As Jason's life erupts into chaos, from the ex-girlfriend and a drunken evening spent on Facebook, to the career writing dodgy reviews for a London paper, the girl on Charlotte Street resembles one thing he can make happen. All he needs is some detective work and only a bit of stalking, well maybe more stalking than detecting.

This is just a celebration of life as it is of London; so if you are a Londoner, an ex-Londoner or a wannabe Londoner you will love exploring the city with these characters.

Charlotte Street is perfect for anyone who would like to invest a few hours into a good read with belly laughs and a great dollop of realism. So what more can I say other than...just read it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny in places, slow burner, 8 May 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought this book was going to be hilarious and, in places, it was. There are a few one liners that I thought were clever and witty. Mostly though it is amusing and enjoyable rather than laugh out loud, tell all your friends to read it, funny. It seems very, very long for what is in essence a simple tale with a rather predictable ending. I like the friendships the main character has and the various twists and turns in these which were pretty realistic; often books like this are rather far fetched but I felt this story could almost be true. The one character I didn't relate to was Damien and the stuff about promotional freebies, not my world sadly. I did like the teachers in the story though, as characters in a book I mean, I certainly wouldn't want to work with them. The references to the pupils rang true, especially the myriad of expressions, mostly bored, in assembly. I also like Tony and his tiny tie! It is okay, just too long in my opinion.

3.0 out of 5 stars A read. maybe not a great one but ok., 19 May 2013
This review is from: Charlotte Street (Kindle Edition)
Predictable but I finished reading it which is a good sign for a novel in my book. Easy-osy. A few laughs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Charlotte Street - Kindle edition, 19 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Charlotte Street (Kindle Edition)
I purchased this book on the recommendation of a friend, it was an easy read, but only Ok, in my opinion

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Debut Novel, 14 Jun. 2012
J. P. Ellison "jpellison" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a big fan of Danny Wallace's "personal adventure" books, so decided to give his debut novel a go.

I found it warm, joyful and easy to read. Everything you would expect from Danny Wallace. Easy to read, light-hearted, slightly girly fluff. The perfect book to take on holiday.

1.0 out of 5 stars Possible good story by badly written., 29 May 2013
John Richardson "JR" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charlotte Street (Paperback)
I did not like the writing style at all and despite persevering for a few chapters because I thought the story sounded interesting I could not bear the trite and silly language that spoiled it for me. I have now given up and moved on to better written material.

‹ Previous | 113 14 15 16 | Next ›