5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to setup, Fantastic sound, brilliant build quality!!!
Published 1 month ago by applemacjuice

First the positive: The sound quality is brilliant, crisp, clear wih superb bass, and as loud as you need it. I also really like the looks and build quality.
You can use a B&O Beo-4, 5 or 6 to adjust the volume too, but nothing else.

Published on 14 May 2012 by Simon S

1.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant sound quality, brilliant build and looks; awful software, poor WiFi performance, 14 May 2012
You can use a B&O Beo-4, 5 or 6 to adjust the volume too, but nothing else.

But, negatives soon follow: the software is terrible - you have to set up the Beolit 12 by connecting it with an ethernet cable (supplied) to your computer or your router, remembering to switch off WiFi as well, and, once you've gone through the hassle of this, the Beolit 12 takes 2 minutes and upwards to join your WiFi network every time you want to use it - compare this with your phone, your tablet, anything else, where WiFi just works.

What on earth is the Beolit 12 doing? Because there's no status screen and only some basic lights, it's hard to tell. But it's too slow, whatever's going on.
It also drops WiFi connections with monotonous regularity, when all other devices on my network cope just fine. For instance: start playing a track in iTunes and quickly fast forward to near the end of the track. Very often iTunes and the Beolit 12 just stop talking to each other. Who's fault is this? Hard to tell, but it's deeply irritating.

With the first version of the software - that was on the unit I purchased - the Beolit 12 could only keep information on a single WiFi network, so if you wanted to use the unit at home and at work (say), then you'd be scrabbling around for an ethernet cable each and every time you changed locations. If you buy one now, you should at least get the latest version of firmware that supports multiple locations, but the initial setup in each location still needs a cable.

The instruction manual is also confusing; B&O have rushed out an iPhone app to try and help, but the instructions give misleading and contradictory statements on how to get it all going. The iPhone app feels unfinished - for instance, sometimes the Software Update menu does nothing.

This has been rushed to market; give it 6 months to see if B&O either improve the software or give up on the Beolit 12 as an unfortunate aberration. At present, I can't recommend this product, which is a real shame.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price, 8 Dec 2013
Peter Petrov (Bulgaria) - See all my reviews
Setup was a really unhappy experience. B&O nowhere does your support page or instruction leaflet say that this product does not support 802.11n connectivity!!!! It took me 3 hours and at least 20 attempts, resets etc. to find that out. Once i moved the router to 802.11b/g/n mode connection worked flawlessly.

The sound quality is good, without exaggeration at either end. However this is still a mono device, so you essentially get nothing more than what an old radio used to give you - i.e. no stereo. The sound is very directional - you have to be in front of the unit to experience any degree of quality. The sound goes nowhere near what the price suggests. This kind of sound you can get for much less.

Essentially the only quality of this product is portability. If you want to take high quality (mono) sound outdoor on your terrace or on a picnic you may consider this unit. However it is not a replacement even for a small home stereo.

EDIT: Today i tried the speaker using an SRS-Wow HD sound enhancing app. Boy, what a difference! This almost solves the mono sound issue. The two technologies seem to be a perfect match. I am still not raising my star rating because at this price i should not have had to use mind trickery to get a decent sound stage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to setup, Fantastic sound, brilliant build quality!!!, 29 May 2014
Can't quite understand some negative reviews being posted..set up took literally 5 mins via beo play app, no need for any Ethernet cable which is no longer supplied. I think the firmware must of been updated and to be fair is excellent. Other bang olufsen remotes do work on this system and I am currently using beo play a8 remote with no problems. Build quality is exceptional and looks are great. As for sound it can't be beaten at this size, compared to Bose comparisons we'll there is no comparison. Bang & Olufsen blows it away. Buy with confidence and ENJOY!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst investment I have ever done, 2 Feb 2014
When you pay more than 500 for a product you ll expect a prime experience! It s not the case with this useless box!
True the sound quality is good, but the wifi reception is very bad so sounds are cut every 2minutes! And you can t enjoy your music. Besides the connection to your wifi is very slow each time you switch it on...i can understand if for a first connection, but once everything set up, i don t understand what s it doing during all this long time!
When you take it outside, you will need a wire connection! Which is very surprising! You can find much less expensives boxes that use blue tooth or even wifi but without the need of a rooter!
Guys look for an other music box this is rubbish especially for the price you pay!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound and quality, 31 May 2012
I got the Beolit 12 from a Bang & Olufsen dealer, and the sound is surprisingly rich and "audiophile" from such a compact package. The setup was a breeze, so I think the previous reviewer have not upgraded the software (mine came with the new software). I believe this is the only really portable AirPlay speaker available - it has three different network profiles and it automatically switches between them when I move between wireless networks. The build-quality is surprisingly premium.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful warm and detailed sound, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Bang & Olufsen PLAY Beolit 12 Airplay - Portable Wireless Music System (Yellow) (Electronics)
This unit, gives exactly the warm beautiful sound I have been looking for in an iPhone speaker.
I love listening to 50/60s vocal type jazz and own a large valve amplifier and speakers. I love the warmth and detailed vocals and rich sound that the valve equipment gives. The Beolit gives that same rich sound that I love so much, I have not found this in any of the cheaper iPhone speakers/docks, some of which sound way to bright.

I am not interested in the Airplay function, as I plug my iPhone/iPad directly in and it charges at the same time. Also the direct connection sounds slightly better (this is the same for the other Airplay units I have tried).
I can tell you though, that if the Airplay function is important to you, the set up on this unit and the connection times are the PITS.
The set up is long winded, the software updates fail repeatedly and the unit connection to the WiFi is slow on start up.

That said, Airplay is not important to me and the sound is quality is incredible for such a small unit. As with any unit this size, please keep in mind that the stereo separation will be poor.

I gave this unit 5 stars, because it is relatively small for the bedroom, gives a beautiful big and detailed warm sound for any room, the build and looks are expensive.

3.0 out of 5 stars Chepaer alternatives, 31 May 2014
David Yue (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this and it ended up being a faulty unit. Just simply would not connect to my network so I had to send back.

It did work with via the jack cable and I found the sound on par with the much cheaper SONOS 1 I bought previously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound...., 5 Mar 2014
Some difficulty setting up the wifi....otherwise amazing sound and convenience of use.. Using the music on my I Phone playing through this Beolite 12

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid !!, 19 Jun 2013
This product appears to have been designed by some arrogant designer who was more concerned about looks than user friendliness. To connect an ethernet cable or power cable to the device you have to open a hatch at the back and then find the relevant connection ports deep in the bowels of the unit. Why not just stick them on the outside of the unit?! It has very very poor WiFi connectivity: it loses connection to the router at locations where there are 3 solid bars of WiFi connection on the iPhone. Setting up is fussy, and the unit only can store details of 3 routers. In general it is very temperamental in every aspect and really frustrating if not infuriating to work with. When it does work, the sound is great; but it lets you down time and time again. The iPhone app for setting up is equally rubbish. I didn't buy mine on Amazon (I bought is at an upmarket department store after being bedazzled by the sales pitch) but for me it was the biggest waste of money on any gadget.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!... almost!, 28 Aug 2012
Robin (Nottingham, UK.) - See all my reviews
The design is very contemporary, elegant, and understated; it combines retro features with a timeless quality, which means that it will not date in a couple of years. The Beolit is extremely solid and well built. No black dusty fabric!

It also works wirelessly using AirPlay (PC/Mac). I followed a YouTube video (Beolit 12 - Setup) to link it to my broadband network for wireless playing - you only need to do this once. Very easy. It works perfectly. I understand the software was upgraded some months ago. You can also use an App to link it to your network, but I found using the Ethernet cable provided easier.

It definitely has the best sound of any speaker of this size.

Two problems:

1. The back compartment is too small to store the UK power lead and plug when you want to take it to the garden and use the battery - probably not an issue in other countries.

2. The software needs another update as it takes a couple of minutes for the Beolit to join the network for Airplay, every time you switch the Beolit on! - this is almost instantaneous with any other Airplay device. However, as I mainly use it connected to my iPhone 5 this is not a big deal.

UPDATE:

After a few months of use the back door's catch broke - could not close the door anymore! I do not know how this happened. However, I took the Beolit back to John Lewis, they gave me a full refund, and with the money I bought the new Beoplay A8.

Will I buy a Beolit 12 again? Well, I will now keep the Beoplay A8 which is far superior, and perhaps wait for the next generation of Beolit and buy another one for the bedroom/study (if they get rid of that silly door catch and fix the software for quick Airplay connection)!

It is beautiful and it sounds great!