5.0 out of 5 stars Audio Dock only
Well, the Amazon description is pretty poor for this product, but the pictures do paint the picture a little. The product has 2 connectors, a micro USB to connect to a charger and a 3.5mm Audio out. This is excellent for connecting to an auxiliary input on a radio/ amp for example.
Published on 28 Jun. 2012 by P. D. Burger

2.0 out of 5 stars Samsung designed this in a lunchbreak
I bought this thinking that it'd be something broadly similar to my old (and much liked) official Apple dock (the one with the remote control), but in this case for my new SIII phone - especially as the latter is supposed to have some very high quality sound hardware.

Published on 25 Jun. 2012 by Bob Cross

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio Dock only, 28 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S3 Desktop Dock (Compatible With Galaxy S2, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Notell) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I have mine connected to my DAB alarm clock in my bedroom and is easy to play tunes from :-)
The dock screen allows for easy playback from the off, ignoring the lock screen to make things a little easier.
As other reviewers have said it does wobble a little on the dock connector and there is some form of flexible base around the connector so for me there is no issue.
I cannot comment about the colour matching the phone as I have a white S3.

For my purposes it fulfils all my needs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Whats wrong with people?, 5 Sept. 2012
A. Phillips (birkenhead) - See all my reviews
Ok you can buy a generic charging dock for £5, so why spend your £20 on this? This works properly with the phone in a gel case, it also has audio out so you can plug speakers in and use it on your desk. It works with the original samsung micro usb wall charger so requires no additional cables and the phone recognises it as a dock so displays the dock interface when plugged in. If your gonna gripe about it the colour would be better described as black and it's made from plastic rather than hewn from aluminium but if you can live with this I thoroughly recommend it.

Btw the cheap £5 dock I bought from (Fl)Ebay won't charge my S3 at all so was a false economy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Samsung designed this in a lunchbreak, 25 Jun. 2012
Bob Cross (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews

First off, the colour - described as "chrome blue", the one I received is DEFINITELY black - which the product picture kind of shows also. This is fine, since I think a black dock would possibly work equally well for the white and the (dark-)blue SIII variants. My white SIII is currently in a black gel case and this blends in perfectly with the dock.

The design is visually very appealing - reminding me of a high-class jewellery box - the dock port is usually hidden until you flip up the portion at the front-top - the lid then becoming a back rest for the phone. At the back are two ports - one for power (standard microUSB - not usable for data transfers) and the other a standard 3.5mm audio jack. My phone - even in it's gel case - fits easily into this - and doing so switches the phone to desktop/dock mode automatically. Very neat and tidy, and folding the lid down when not in use keeps out dust and makes for a neat looking unit on your desk.

Drawbacks? Firstly, there are no cables supplied - just the dock and a manual. I can understand why this has been done, but it's a bit annoying to then have to find appropriate cables elsewhere, especially for audio (the charging lead supplied with the phone could be used for power/data). Secondly - and this is a MAJOR drawback - the backrest/lid provides very little/NO support for the phone (it needs to be LONGER), so operating an on-screen button high up the screen causes the phone to flex unless you use a very light touch, putting strain on that microUSB dock connector - this is very bad design on Samsung's part! Thirdly, for the price I also would have liked to see a remote (like the Apple dock) that would have allowed basic control of the media player (volume, play/pause, next/previous track). Lastly - do not buy this thinking it's a data dock too, that doesn't work - and in fact when I tried powering the dock from a PC I kept getting audible feedback through the PC speakers every time I operated an SIII button/menu - so I switched back to a power adaptor.

So if you still want a desk stand (the sound from the SIII IS very good through speakers) and are willing to get your own cables and exercise some care in operating it, then I'd cautiously recommend this dock.

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice bit of kit., 24 Oct. 2012
This is a very neat design and the phone fits this stand very well with a phone cover fitted when not in use the back rest part with the power connection on folds away leaving a very slick black box ... well done Samsung.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 20 Jun. 2012
T. Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
The S3 doesn't even fit properly, it precariously balances on the mini usb and fell off as I hit my knee on the desk leg. For 2/3 the price you can get a (secure) charging dock that also charges the spare battery which this does not

Feels well made but is very badly designed. The front and rear 'flaps' don't hold the phone at all, it just sits on the mini USB

Amazon also mailed me to inform me there was a months delay and delivery would be mid July. So I bought another unit elsewhere and tried to cancel this order. The following day it arrived. Make your minds up Amazon.

Being returned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well - even with a case, 4 Aug. 2012
This dock is a perfect accompaniment to the new Samsung Galaxy S3 although it would be better if it was available in the ceramic white rather than just the blue it comes in (so it matches the phone).
In use you plug in your micro USB connector (the one supplied with the phone since it does not come with one) and then flick open the dock unit. When you fit the phone it locks in place and automatically turns the phone into dock mode (unlike the cheaper 3rd party docks which do not). It will work with many cases including some 3rd party gell style cases as long as the USB connector on the bottom of the phone is able to click in correctly. The advantage if this is that you do not need to remove the phone case just to dock it.
Should you want to take to dock elsewhere it closes up nicely so there is no risk of damaging the connector or back plate.

Overall the only thing that lets this down is the lack of cable/charger unit which considering the price it would have been nice to have been supplied with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Than I Expected...., 21 July 2012
I "ummmed and arrrrred" about getting this purely due to the previous reviews. I though that I'd take the plunge and if it was as bad as many people have said I can return it. I shouldn't of worried - it's great. Yes, it certainly isn't as "clunk/click" as the desk cradle for the Galaxy S2 but it is well made, looks good and the fold down feature for when its not being used is a good feature to keep dust at bay. I liked the review where the person mentioned that it looks like the phone is floating rather than wedged in as that is really what it looks like when its docked. It slots on top of the connector quite easily and automatically goes into dock mode. Yes, there is minimal movement when it sits on the dock but to all those reviewers saying that it feels unsteady and may topple over - I'd get a spirit level and check your table. The flip up part is enough to stabilise the handset and the base is chunky and heavy enough to dismiss any worry of it falling over. Yes you have to be careful with it if you want to operate the screen whilst its docked but wouldn't you be anyway considering it's a £500 handset. All in all I think the dock is a good purchase. I've only given 4 stars as I think that it could be sold slightly cheaper and it's not perfect but what is?

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive and not secure enough, 22 Jun. 2012
The phone is held by a flap of plastic but it does tend to wobble about everywhere. It is certainly not secure in any way. It does not sync data. It is a completely different colour from the phone so looks odd. Really not happy with this product....

2.0 out of 5 stars Not happy at all, 28 Dec. 2013
This has to be the worst samsung product I purchased to date.
The sound out is poor... drops in volume for no apparent reason....
The dock may be damaging the charging port....
Would not buy again and thinking about getting a replacement dock...

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 8 Dec. 2013
Best thing I ever bought. My S3 sits in the cradle perfectly. Nice a compact box great to tuck in the suitcase.