5.0 out of 5 stars Am I too old for this?
Published on 3 Oct. 2012 by platterseacatshome

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many rap songs
The singles are brilliant but very different form most of the album. Much too rap like for me but there are some good tracks.

The tracks that i enjoy are:
Roman Holiday
Come on a cone
I am your leader
Va Va Voom
Starships
Pound the alarm
stupid hoe
However all the others I just skip.
Published 2 months ago by Josh Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Am I too old for this?, 3 Oct. 2012
When I first clicked on purchase for Pink Friday, I felt as if I was doing something from which, due to my age, I was disqualified. It seemed to me that I was poking my nose into a club of which I could never hope any longer to be a welcome member. At 62 (as was), I should have been settling down gracefully with Beatles and Stones repackages, and reunion tours of bands which had expired 30 years ago. Yet it never felt that way for me: music has played such a vital and constantly rejuvenating role in my life, and I've never ceased to be amazed by the way in which the music we generally know as rock can constantly reinvent itself in ways which not even the most radical 60s pioneers (Beatles, Zappa, Dylan, Wilson, Spector, Bowie, etc.) could ever have dreamed of.
The music which has soundtracked my life has been as varied and chameleonic as I never would have expected.

Having started at 13 with Frank Ifield (...no, why should that embarrass me?!!) and The Tornados, inspiration and excitement has come to me from acts as diverse as Alan Price, The Lovin' Spoonful, The Beach Boys, Love, The Doors, Yes, Genesis, Tangerine Dream, Pat Metheny, Donna Summer, Van der Graaf Generator, Todd Rundgren, Steve Reich, Renaissance, Lush, and many, many others, to give me a wonderful collection of around 9000 records, none of which I regret buying (OK, some were a bit tragic, but they still represent moments in time, and I'd never part with a single one). You'd think by now I'd have heard everything I could ever wish to hear, and had lost my capacity to be impressed.

Prior to Ms Minaj, I had already bought stuff by Lil' Kim and Foxy Brown, so I was familiar with the rap oeuvre. But when I heard about Nicki, and decided to check her out on YouTube, I was absolutely blown away. Most rap and hip hop was, to my ears, a sullen, tuneless, aggressive noise, short on musical appeal and long on in-yer-face attitude. It was only the sweeter female take on it that opened my ears a little. The more I saw and heard of Nicki, the more I felt 'if only all hip hop / rap was this way'.
Pink Friday was a completely new experience for me, and one which made me wish that I'd been born 30 years later (although then, of course, I would have missed out on all the excitement of the 60s and 70s, not to mention my path never crossing with several friends and cats - I guess you can't have it both ways).

If you buy one album by somebody and are hugely impressed, you're far more likely to be up for buying the next one, unheard. Roman's Revenge was one such - and I expected great things from it. And was I disappointed? Absolutely not!!! From the fizz and sparkle pop-hop of Starships and Pound the Alarm to the bizarre, abstract soundscape of Beez in the Trap, this album just sets off wave after wave of multicoloured fluorescent lavabombs and cascading comets of sonic scatter-bling.

I've never heard - or seen - anybody like Nicki in my life. Sure she's sexy and sweet and voluptuous, but she's also got seemingly inexhaustible talent, which will see her take her place at the forefront of the 21st century's most innovative artistes. She will be imitated by many, but never equalled. Even if you think you're too old for the music of the present era, you will not fail to be impressed by this album.
The big question now is, can she do it again with the 3rd album? My guess is, she will. I'm waiting with bated breath.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded [VINYL], 7 April 2014
“Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded” is Nicki’s Minaj second record. A totally new record, although the title starts with the same name that her debut album “Pink Friday”.
“Roman Reloaded” it’s a kind of the continue of “Pink Friday”, packed with 16 powerful songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars certain to grow on you....brilliant album, 26 Feb. 2013
As with many other reviewers....my advice is do not listen and dismiss this fantastic album first time round as i almost did, instead i followed the advice given by other reviewers here and gave this album a few runs....i'd put it on as back ground music whilst getting on with whatever and i found this really did begin to grow on me to the extent that i'd rate it as one of my fave's to listen to....i won't say much more about this as music is really a very personal thing and people need to make up their own minds whether this is their thing or not....but if you've bought this album because there's one or two songs on here that you like then don't dismiss the rest of the album first time round and just skip to the songs you like....give it a chance and it's unlikely to dissapoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 19 Jan. 2014
Thankyou very much for this I love Nicki Minaj as I love this CD came quick, I would recommend this to Nicki lovers :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pink Friday..... Roman Reloaded - Love it., 16 Aug. 2013
Desmond Anthony Gowdy "love" (London, England.) - See all my reviews
I so love Nicki Minaj, she is very different from other female black artist that I see. She has such nice creative taste in cloths and style. And despite I am a gay man who loves men. I have to say Nicki Minaj have such a curvy sexy womanly body than all the other female artist so far. Nicki Minaj have also great talent in her music, sometimes rough and sometimes smooth, but above all "Miss Hot Thing" knows her stuff and mind.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many rap songs, 6 April 2015

Va Va Voom
Starships
Pound the alarm
stupid hoe
However all the others I just skip.

4.0 out of 5 stars You're in for a bag of sounds., 10 May 2012
Nicki Minaj, as you might know already, is the female rapper of the moment which has captured the mainstream audience with no issues the last couple of years. With some get-go hits from her major label debut 'Pink Friday' she managed to score more than 6 Top 40 hits from the very same album and getting to the top of the charts all over the world.

This year, after a brief rest, she's finally releasing her awaited sophomore effort 'Roman Reloaded', and what an effort it is. Very diverse, as you read already in the grand mass of reviews on this site, but somehow the random listener hasn't liked the album - why you must ask? They haven't taken the time to appreciate the hard work put on this record. Have in mind Nicki is under massive record label pressure to keep her album sales, but at the same time, she wants to mantain her street cred and hip hop roots. Both things are a bit hard to mix, since female hardcore rap isn't even USA's best-selling sound of the moment, so a noble move was made by her to make this an extensive album which I'd gladly divide into two halves.

The first half of the album is mainly hip hop influence, and consists of looped samples with fueled, blazing raps all over them. Nicki betters and even manages to create bolder songs with the handful of collaborators, which range from Lil Wayne to Chris Brown. I'm not much into the whole 'Roman' image she's trying to market to us, but the material is pristine and highly refined to be of the highest quality. 'Beez In The Trap' with its minimalistic bleeps pisses all over most of male rappers' recent output, even taking it a bit further in the risqué lyrics side of things. 'Champion' is filled with sharp raps and 'Right By My Side' takes a step back to Beyoncé's 'Irreplaceable' sample, using it with a bit more of imagination.

The second half, and my personal favourite, is the bubbly pop part of the record. It is evident Nicki didn't have the RedOne tracks until a couple of weeks before the release date deadline, because using this magnificent Swedish producer is the first and last resort to obtain a massive hit nowadays (which artist doesn't buy Scandinavian songs to have a hit these days?). Since it is pretty evident the 'rap' singles had a crash landing and renamed 'buzz' releases (Namely all the 'Roman' tracks and Stupid Ho) she obviously turned to megapop to catch a new smash. And boy she did. The album run of Starships-Pound the alarm-Whip it-Automatic is friggin' glorious and a catchy chorus slap to anyone's face. Watching the artwork whilts listening to these songs takes the album imagery into another level. 'Beautiful Sinner' would have benefited immesely with better production, because on its current form it sounds like a bare demo, even considering the ace lyrics and their potential - Alex Da Kid needs a bit more practice with those protools. Both 'Marilyn Monroe' with its enchanting piano riff and soothing vocals and 'Young Forever' are the album smooth parts, flying from bubbly heaven to midtempo clouds, and not grey, mediocre ones. 'Marilyn Monroe' is easily the ballad hit yet to be scored, THAT piano riff will be sampled to death if made popular, believe me. From here, you'll find relatively weak tracks except 'Turn Me On', a dance tornado that has filled the dancefloors of all over the world and 'Va Va Voom', the original lead single the record company shelved in favor of the Swedish penned tracks by RedOne, which is an upbeat affair but ultimately lacks something and feels a bit empty and like non-flavoured chewgum.

In resume 'Roman Reloaded' could be a 12 track tornado of an album, but can't be cut thanks to Nicki's big fanbases that need to be pleased desperately. I'd highly recommend it to have a buffet of current pop and hip hop sounds and also encourage to make a tracklisting with your personal favorites. Get it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan of rap but an improvement to Pink Friday, 29 Aug. 2012
This album will always split opinion for one reason. It's two albums in one, a rap half and a pop/dance half.

You can see why Lil Wayne found her so appealing in the first place with her raps being intelligent, although sometimes can be quite extravagant. If you ignore the deliberately provocative "Stupid Hoe", the rap side of the album is quite pleasing to someone who isn't a self confessed fan of rap. The collaborations feature some newcomers and some old favourites in the rap world and on the Young Money record label.

On the pop side of things, four tracks are written by RedOne's team: from "Starships" to "Automatic" inclusive. These songs are very current and I can see any of these hitting the top 10, just as "Pound the Alarm" and "Starships" have done. The hidden gem of the album by far is "Marilyn Monroe" - a track destined for release.

If you're coming to this album after enjoying the two top ten hits, buy the deluxe edition. There are more pop tracks featured on the deluxe edition including the high charting collaboration with David Guetta, "Turn Me On".

Definitely worth the money I paid for two different styles of music together on the one album.

5.0 out of 5 stars where no rock fan has gone before!, 27 Jun. 2012
I'm not sure what it is About Nicki that has persuaded a 53 year old stick in the mud whose collection of music is mostly classic rock and metal with a smattering of folky prog etc etc, to buy some rap tunes, she just seems different, wacky, funky,
but with a very powerful and unusual voice?? I have to say at this point I haven't actualy bought either album, just a selection of five songs that i've heard on radio one, starships, fly, dominoes, super bass, and pound the alarm. Now I'm sure there are a few hard core rappers reading this that are thinking " omg nicki what have you done!!!" ...but rest assured i am nothing if not choosy, and Nicki must have something very special if i've bought rap!!! I'm given to understand she writes her own stuff? ...perhaps that's what it is!
...Anyway I would welcome some comments from a more typical fanbase to explain this new ( for me ) phenomenon!! and also, having dipped my toe in the water, where I might go next??

UPDATE! ....Have now ordered both Pink Friday ( super bass ediion ) and Roman Reloaded. Both from Amazon. Haven't actualy got them yet - ....c'mmon guys, sort it out!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoa Nicki!!, 4 April 2012
I was a fan of Nicki's before, but after listening to her newest album, I became an even bigger fan! This album is amazing!! A definitive must buy! I like all the songs, usually when I buy an album there are only a couple that I really like.. That's not the case with Nicki, which is a pleasant surprise! I really like her attitude in the songs and her big mouth :) My favourite is definitely Starship!