5.0 out of 5 stars Is BenQ the benchmark?
Amazon service:
Published on 25 July 2012 by Supermonkey3

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, entry level monitor
For the price I can't complain, but the colour reproduction is so far inferior to the Apple and Samsung brand displays I'm used to, this only ever sees use as a last resort. No matter how much I play with the colour profile of the monitor, it comes across harsh and cheap. If I had had a bigger budget at the time I would very much regret this purchase.
Published 11 months ago by Mr. J. J. M. Omara

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Is BenQ the benchmark?, 25 July 2012
Amazon service:
I bought this last weekend. Well, the fabled Amazon service came good again. I ordered it Thursday night, and noticing the monitor was 'out of stock and requiring up to two extra days on any estimated delivery time' I took a punt anyway on Amazon's 'guaranteed delivery by X'. Not only did it arrive on Saturday as promised but I received a message on the day telling me the hour it would arrive.

~Now about the screen:

Previous monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2053BW
Bought on advice mostly from: [...] (very useful site if you're in the market for a monitor)

Cons:
-No Mac support on the CD. I ran my Mac OS system preferences' colour calibration to get the setting right, and in about 5 minutes it was. I recommend doing this if like me you find the factory setting for 'standard' a little different than you're used to.
-Because of the above, out of the box, it did not blow me away. That came later.
-Control button placement - they're never quite at the height you expect them to be.
-Slow source switching (the only aspect where I feel the Samsung wins - and it was the same price!).
-Gloss black frame - quite reflective in a sunny room, would prefer matt.

Pros:
-In short it may not have instant appeal but it's a grower! Three days later I'm very impressed.
-Depth of colour. Even having reduced the brightness of the standard setting to a much more relaxing 1% the monitor still manages to bring out new and subtle variations in shading on familiar webpages etc.. Not a techie myself but that to me seems to indicate some quality screen engineering. More to the point it makes it that bit easier to use the pages. And of course this thing is pretty big so you can have two web pages up side by side no problem.
-Hooked up the Xbox, put BenQ on the 'Game' setting, and realised how brilliant this monitor is. Stunning quality never before witnessed in my sheltered existence.
-Switched it over to 'movie' setting and watched a DVD. Bloomin brilliant, and this is just DVD not blu-ray. Again the subtlety, range and depth is brilliant. And the picture remains true from a way wider viewing angle than I'm used to.
-It has six factory settings which are each customisable. Once you get your setting right it's a one time thing as it remembers your changes to each factory setting even after being switched off at the plug. You can choose to reset them of course. The game and movie settings are (so far) perfect for X-box and DVD respectively.
-Appearance - looks like Samsung and many others, black, glossy and rectangle. Unobtrusively styled.
-Build - appears solid, yet it's much lighter than you expect.
-It has audio in and out, plus its own speakers - a complete bonus! Didn't think I'd need these features but lo-and-behold, it's very useful - for handling HMDI audio (e.g. from your games console - as my Xbox does not have a separate audio out). Hook up (via standard 2mm stereo jack) a larger set of speakers and it will send them the HMDI audio. Functional.
-It has VGA, DVI-D, and HDMI input - useful. You can have your PC (DVI-D), console (HDMI) and a laptop (VGA) all running into it at the same time.
-It tilts forward and backwards, enough for me (-5 to 15 degrees apparently), and is stable. For me, that's all the adjustment I need or expect at the price. I'd certainly rather they spent the money where they have i.e. making the visuals superb. If I need it raised, I'll use a book.

I love it when stuff just WORKS, and this screen does the business. It has real depth, literally, that I've not seen before.
At this price (£132) a total bargain. I can see why Benq gets so much praise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality monitor, 25 Sept. 2013
Gadget Man (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: BenQ GW2450HM 24-inch Full HD LED Monitor (Accessory)
With great anticipation and eagerness, after deciding to treat myself to a new screen, I unboxed this little monster of a screen, plugged it in and waited.

I then waited some more.

And then a bit more.

But still "No Signal".

After some searching, I discovered that by default the monitor is set to the VGA input and that it doesn't auto switch to whichever input actually does have a signal (in my case HDMI).

Once I got a VGA signal to it, I could switch the input over in the menu - quite a few button presses but easy enough to find - and then, as they say, the job was "a good 'un".

Once I'd sorted that small thing, I found that I had a monitor with a super clear display and was just what I hoped it would be.

I have given this four stars as I would have liked to see an Input switching button on the side with the rest which would have made my "out of the box" experience a little better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Speakers not as bad as many make out,, 4 Sept. 2013
This review is from: BenQ GW2450HM 24-inch Full HD LED Monitor (Accessory)
I bought mine from elsewhere and now have had it just over a year. I use it as a TV screen with a TV tuner in my Windows 7 media center pc. Its does a great job. The speakers in the first instance were quite thin and nasty. Over the months after a great deal of exercise they have blossomed & good enough for a small TV, especially with voice. This experience by the way is quite common with speakers, but you mostly hear about it in regard to hifi ones - some people leave the hifi playing away for a few days to break them in. So give the speakers a chance to loosen up, they arent as bad as some people claim.

Why do I give it just 4 stars, Well the panel isnt perfect. Many people on other bloggs have noted that under certain circumstances you can get a coloured motion blurr. I get this if say a face against a dark back ground like dark hair. In my case its red. But Its some thing I can live with as it doesnt happen often & the panels handling of dark scenes is really good - very clear and not muddy like my old Toshiba.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good monitor for a very reasonable price, 25 Feb. 2014
This review is from: BenQ GW2450HM 24-inch Full HD LED Monitor (Accessory)
I decided to award the monitor 4 out of 5 stars, don't get me wrong it's a decent monitor and I'm very pleased with it, considering it only costs £120, it's a steal. Overall the design is rather basic, nothing to write home about, but it does the job and looks ok sitting on a computer table. To be honest I'm more interested in function over design, so it's 'basic' glossy, black plastic looks are fine with me. The menu, volume and power switch are on the side of the monitor and they are slightly misaligned from the their bezel labels. This can be a bit annoying, but it's not a deal breaker. The on screen display is a little slow and unresponsive, but again, this wasn't an issue once I had the monitor calibrated to my liking. I decided to install the 'Normal' ICC profile from the following website [...]. I must say, it looks top notch when compared the the very bright 'out of box' settings. Some people might find this ICC profile calibration might make the display look a little bit dark, but I'd recommend giving it a go and view some monitor calibration images (google) to see that it really does work.

To set-up the monitor, the stand simply slots in place over the base, this locks in place and is then inserted into the monitor panel. I found the tilt-function was far too slack. The monitor was tilted to the desired angle, but it just 'flopped' towards the computer table. I noticed that the 2 bolts which connect the metal tilt function to the stand were a little bit loose, I dismantled the base, removed the tilt plate (3 screws to remove) and I tightened the bolts. Once reassembled, the flappy tilt function was fixed. I was going to return the monitor, but it's an easy fix to save the hassle of returning a large item.

I currently have the monitor connected to my PC via DVI (running windows 7) everything looks rather nice and clear, I've also been using the monitor with a PS3 and an Xbox 360 (via HDMI) and I'm very impressed, looks good and the in-built speakers are surprisingly better than I anticipated.

If you're after a decent monitor, with plenty of connections, good display and value for money, you can't go wrong with the BenQ

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and quality, 11 April 2014
N. Grainger (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BenQ GW2450HM 24-inch Full HD LED Monitor (Accessory)
I chose this partly on other reviews and partly on specification, which included a better than normal contrast ratio. My usage is mixed - internet browsing, email, document writing, and a few games, so I wanted something which could cover all the bases.

Once basically calibrated, with the brightness right down and the contrast up fairly high, the picture quality is really very good indeed. Crystal clear, with good colour, no flicker at all, and decent viewing angles. Even games play well. There is little visible lag or smearing in sight, particularly when the overdrive setting is set to "premium". I'm particularly impressed by the absence of flicker, which can give me a headache over time.

Assembly is a cinch, and takes about three minutes all told. The monitor only adjusts for tilt, not height etc, which is a bit limiting. It also wobbles about when being adjusted, but is stable enough in use. The glossy black plastic construction isn't the last word in quality. It's these areas where you know you're buying a cheaper monitor.

My first monitor had a group of dead pixels annoyingly located, but typical Amazon customer service meant it was replaced without a query, and the second screen is flawless.

Overall - highly recommended, especially given the great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars BenQ GW2450HM 24" Monitor, 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: BenQ GW2450HM 24-inch Full HD LED Monitor (Accessory)
Both myself and my son love this BenQ GW2450HM 24 inch Monitor bought for his new pc system has pretty good quality picture, colour and sound, with it's VGA, DVI-D, and HDMI and sound input and headphone output made it an excellent choice . If you are looking for a good all round 24" monitor at great price and/or you are like me and take time when choosing computer components this is defiantly is worth considering,

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent monitor with (AM)VA panel, 17 Jun. 2014
This review is from: BenQ GW2450HM 24-inch Full HD LED Monitor (Accessory)
This monitor really is better than 99% of the cheaper ones you'll find at this price.
Normally cheap monitors have a TN-panel which gives lesser viewing angles, colour reproduction and contrast values then this monitor. Response times are good enough even for gaming so if this your monitor budget I really don't think you'll find anything better.

If you're considering this monitor I'd recommend reading[...]
What you'll get compared to most other monitors in this price class:
- An AMVA-panel
- Better colour reproduction
- Better contrast (far better, your blacks will really be black)
- Speakers (they're the usual super bad sound quality however)
- Decent array of input options: D-SUB (VGA), HDMI and DVI

Only minor downside in my opinion are:
- It takes relatively long to 'start up' most computers with a good SSD will be in Windows by the time the monitor starts displaying a picture
- Glossy black plastic bezel. If you have an illuminated keyboard you get to see its colours reflected in bezel

Overall though, couldn't be happier. Think it might be the best monitor out there for its price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good!, 12 Jan. 2013
This review is from: BenQ GW2450HM 24-inch Full HD LED Monitor (Accessory)
Deep colours. Great viewing angle. VA black levels/contrast. Reflections kept to a minimum. Good for gaming. Decent enough speakers built in.

What more could you ask for?

4.0 out of 5 stars for the price, really really good, 19 Nov. 2013
This review is from: BenQ GW2450HM 24-inch Full HD LED Monitor (Accessory)
This is my second benq monitor, still, very impressive performance/value.

I bought this monitor to use as a extension to my Y400 laptop (which has rubbishest screen I ever used, it will hurt your eye).

Plugged in, what a difference, clear and colourful.

I give 4 star only because the build-in speaker is at the back of monitor, so the sound is coming from the back, which feels strange, and speakers themselves aren't very good.

Anyway, top monitor, speaker wise, maybe I am too harsh, they are just build-in speakers.

4.0 out of 5 stars While the colours are not as vibrant as the Dell U2412 models the BenQ was much cheaper when purchased in summer 2013 while givi, 30 July 2014
This review is from: BenQ GW2450HM 24-inch Full HD LED Monitor (Accessory)
Owned for almost a year now, mainly used for film/TV and gaming duties. While the colours are not as vibrant as the Dell U2412 models the BenQ was much cheaper when purchased in summer 2013 while giving good colour quality. The VA panel it runs gives some amazing detailed blacks while also being fast enough that I have not noticed any overshoot/lag etc in both fast paced films and games. Solid monitor for the ~£120 paid in 2013.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›