4.0 out of 5 stars Shenanigans in the Deep South...
Well, working my way through Ford's novels, and this is one of his best.

Published 22 months ago by ijhodgson

3.0 out of 5 stars He got much better
Plenty of atmsphere in this tale but I am not sure whether the story or subject matter really interested me. Fortunately Ford became a brilliant writter after this early attempt.
Published 19 months ago by Art

4.0 out of 5 stars Shenanigans in the Deep South..., 18 Sep 2012
This review is from: A Piece of My Heart (Paperback)
Well, working my way through Ford's novels, and this is one of his best.

'A piece of my heart' follows the travails of two men drawn to the same part of Mississippi. Ford writes about 'place' well, and though the book is at times a little disconnected (readers need to skip back occasionally to work out HOW current incidents came about), descriptions are rich and deep. This means you can't read the text rapidly; there's very little redundancy in Ford's writing - much like the Great John Updike.

It feels longer than it actually is; not because its boring, but that the plot feels so elliptical, and this book will have you on the edge of your seat most of the time.

3.0 out of 5 stars He got much better, 8 Dec 2012
Art (The West Country) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Piece of My Heart (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful, unpretentious novel, 24 May 2002
By A Customer
This is the first Richard Ford novel that I have read and I struggled with it at first because I found it hard to get used to the author's distinctive style of writing.
However, once I got used to the author's voice I became totally engrossed in the story. The characters and plot are simple and realistic, yet enigmatic and thought provoking. The language is plain but highly compelling and even poetic in places. The ending is haunting.
This is a brilliant reality tale and manages to be top quality literature without being the slightest bit pretentious. I highly recommend it.

A Piece of My Heart