5.0 out of 5 stars really enjoyable read

3.0 out of 5 stars The Agatha Christie Book Club
Published 18 months ago by S Riaz

5.0 out of 5 stars really enjoyable read, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Agatha Christie Book Club (Kindle Edition)
As soon as I started reading this I was hooked and finished it in one sitting. I love how the author uses Agatha Christie's own mysteries to help the book club characters solve the their own. I would recommend this to anyone who is a fan of Agatha Christie. In the past I have read books that have been described as 'homage to Christie' and have quite often been disappointed - being left with the sense that they have been little more than jealous swipes at Christie's storytelling and success. However, C A Larmer really left me with a sense of being a fellow-fan. The Agatha Christie Book Club is set in modern times, and I am glad that it is because, rather than trying to re-hash the golden age murder mystery (which doesn't always work), it has in my opinion brought 'golden age mystery' bang up to date so well. Christie will always be the 'queen of crime' as far as I am concerned, but this is most definitely a gem of a book for anyone who loves golden age detection, as do I.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Agatha Christie Book Club, 24 Jan 2013
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Agatha Christie Book Club (Kindle Edition)
Alicia Finlay lives with her sister Lynette and dog Max in Sydney. Faced with the latest Pulitzer Prize-Winning novel, and disapproving members, at her book club, she decides to leave and read the books she wants to read - so she begins the Agatha Christie Book Club. She advertises and gains a mix of members: Claire Hargreaves, who runs a vintage clothes shop, the dishy Dr Anders Bright, housewife Barbara Parlour, paleontonolist Perry Gordon and gregarious librarian Missy Corner. One member, however, are not what they appear and when Barbara goes missing, Alicia decides to act sleuth and track her down.

This is a pleasant enough mystery, with lots of nods to Christie (probably my favourite author of all time) and her books. The real problem for me was that Alicia had only met Barbara twice and yet felt so responsible for her - including putting other members of the club in possible danger, badgering the missing woman's (unpleasant) family and becoming overly defensive if anyone questioned her role in the mystery. Alicia's intolerance made her less likeable and made the whole story feel rather forced. Saying that, it had a lot of positives and I would be intrigued to see if the author could make a second outing of the group more realistic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A quirky modern twist on Christie, 16 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Agatha Christie Book Club (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed C A Larmer's attempt to bring Agatha Christie bang up to date. This is a novel full of Christie style twists and turns, with references to some of her best loved novels. Most enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Read, 1 July 2014
This review is from: The Agatha Christie Book Club (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this. I loved the characters and found the plot interesting and intriguing. It was a really fun read and I really enjoyed all the Agatha Christie quotes. I hope that there will be more books and this will become a series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Little grey cells not working properly!, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Agatha Christie Book Club (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book, being an Agatha Christie fan, but felt a little disappointed at the anti-climax of Alicia's meeting with the missing lady she had been looking for. I could see what was happening long before the amateur detectives of the Agatha Christie Book Club. For someone who is an avowed Agatha fan, I am surprised that Alicia Finlay didn't cotton on before she did about Barbara's disappearance. It didn't need a Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot or even a Tuppence Beresford to work out where she had gone and why. The clues were staring her, and us, in the face. It was obvious that the hydro referred to in the story was a spa and not a hydro-electric station. I hope by this review I haven't given the plot away too much but frankly, there isn't much to give away. Real-life Agatha fans will nod knowingly early on in the plot and question the competence of Alicia's little grey cells. The subplots could have done with being beefed up, too. These criticisms aside, I really did enjoy the book but if there is a sequel, the author should make the clues harder, the characters more rounded and less like cardboard cutouts, and add some atmosphere. Just because it is set in modern day Australia rather than the England of the 1920s and 30s, it doesn't mean that it can't be atmospheric. The real Agatha Christie novels had all these ingredients in abundance.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Agatha Book Club, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Agatha Christie Book Club (Kindle Edition)
This is an interesting light read in the style of Agatha Christie using a lot of her plots and crimes throughout the book. It was quite funny in parts as the characters are very A.C. The plot is clever but simple and obvious when you get near the end. It is great for a quiet afternoon read on a rainy day.

2.0 out of 5 stars Totally Uninteresting, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Agatha Christie Book Club (Kindle Edition)
Not interesting..................Couldn`t be bothered to finish reading full story.

Would not recommend this book to anyone. In no way compares remotely to anything Agatha Christie ever wrote.

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as expected., 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Agatha Christie Book Club (Kindle Edition)
reasonably entertaining, nothing much in it. The plot is predictable and although the characters are reasonably likeable I did not get involved with any of them. OK is fair comment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather predictable, 24 May 2013
This review is from: The Agatha Christie Book Club (Kindle Edition)
I'm afraid I guessed the plot quite early on, and whilst I did finish the book, I'm sorry to say that it didn't really engage me. I found the characters rather two-dimensional and whilst I didn't actually dislike the protagonist, neither did I feel engaged by her.

It's not that this is a bad book, just that it was rather more lightweight and predictable than I'd hoped for.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Agatha Christie Book Club, 16 May 2013
This review is from: The Agatha Christie Book Club (Kindle Edition)
VERY GOOD READ, CHRISTIE READERS WILL ENJOY THE REFERENCES TO HER WORKS. IT WILL BE JUST AS ENJOYABLE TO NON CHRISTIE FANS.

The Agatha Christie Book Club