5.0 out of 5 stars "...Look What The Wind Just Blew In..."
This new 18 October 2010 CD on Decca 984 447-7 remasters Thin Lizzy's debut album for Decca/London Records and adds on a further 9 bonus tracks (it was initially slated for a 25 February 2008 release, but cancelled). Here's a detailed breakdown (71:40 minutes):

Tracks 1 to 10 are the album "Thin Lizzy" issued on 30 April 1971 in the UK on Decca SKL 5082 (London...
Published on 24 Oct 2010 by Mark Barry

3.0 out of 5 stars O dear
Published on 27 Nov 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars problem free, 1 Feb 2013
surprised by thin lizzy's earlier music & liked it very much, the arrived on time ,happy with the service & the price

5.0 out of 5 stars great album not to heavy a different lizzy than most know ., 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: Thin Lizzy [VINYL] (Vinyl)
A very clear recording on heavy quality vinyl .
Love this album .
Its rock but easy and mellow some lovly sounds on this .
buy it if u like lizzy and buy it if you dont you will not be disapointed by recording or vinyl quality .

5.0 out of 5 stars Honesty Is No Excuse, 18 Sep 2011
Well, the reviewer above already said everything you need to know about this album. I love it. There are some great tracks on here, and the remaster is great. None of that brick-walling crap here, and the bonus tracks are amazing, including the extremely rare single The Farmer, the New Day EP, and remixes. Definitely worth the purchase. Tracklist below

1. The Friendly Ranger at Clontarf Castle [03:02]
15. Things Ain't Workin' Out Down at the Farm (New Day EP) [04:32]
16. Look What the Wind Blew In' (1977 Overdubbed & Remixed Version) [03:22]
17. Honesty Is No Excuse (1977 Overdubbed & Remixed Version) [02:45]
18. Dublin (1977 Overdubbed & Remixed Version) [02:32]
19. Things Ain't Working Out Down at the Farm (1977 Overdubbed & Remixed Version) [03:58]

5.0 out of 5 stars A Forgotten Thin Lizzy gem, 15 Dec 2010
This review is from: Thin Lizzy (Audio CD)
Prior to the classic Gorham/Robertson line-up ,Thin Lizzy were a three piece band and Belfast man Eric Bell was their sole electric guitarist.

Thin Lizzy's debut album was recorded between 4th and 9th January 1971 (poigniantly, Phil Lynott would die exactly 15years later on 4th January 1986).The album was produced by an American called Scott English who had previously written 'Hi Ho Silver Lining' for Jeff Beck.

I personally find this album to be one of Lizzy's most interesting and enthralling both musically and lyrically.Phil's vocals here are soulful,committed and impassioned for the most part,but also sensitive and mellow at other times.His bass playing is imaginitive and mainly unhindered throughout.Eric Bell shows a strong Hendrix influence at times but also a cleaner sound to good effect at others.Brian Downey demonstrates that he knows how to compliment a song,rather than simply bashing away on the drums in a cliched, bombastic manner like so many less intelligent drummers have so often tended to do.

What separates classic Lynott/T.Lizzy from other, lesser, rock groups is their wider range of musical styles and influences and their own unique charm.This collection has plenty of charm and several very interesting songs . Here are some of my favourites (in no particular order)1'Honesty is no Excuse'-some Van Morrison style vocal phrasings,2'Diddy Levine'-great story telling, lasting just under 7 minutes long;"Inheritance ,you see, runs through every family...Who is to say what is to be is any better?".3'Look What the Wind Blew In'-original and exciting with a clever play on the words gale/Gail ,"Then somewhere from the north,this Gail I knew just blew in";Gail was Phil's girlfriend!4'Eire'-sounds every inch the epic,even though it lasts just over 2mins duration ;"In the land of Eire there sat a High King ,faced with a problem...dreaded Vikings !'.5'Saga of the Ageing Orphan'-contains a strong autobiographical theme ,making mention of Phil's Uncle Peter and his Grandmother.6'Clifton Grange Hotel'-a song about Phil's Mother's hotel in Manchester.Also contained here are 4 bonus tracks from an E.P produced by Nick Tauber.My favourite of these 4 tracks is 'Dublin' with it's heartfelt lyrics and it's delicate,almost vulnerable sounding, vocals.

This may not be the Thin Lizzy that you already know but I believe that it is a Thin Lizzy that is also well worth discovering and getting to know.No big ,flashy production here, but honest and original,often heartfelt and personal, songs recorded in a relatively clear and straightforward fashion...a breath of fresh air!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 July 2014
One of my favourite bands of all time - great to have these back in my collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Long before "Jailbreak" there was...., 16 April 2014
Colin Smith (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
....this fascinating stuff. Actually I've always rated Eric Bell's guitar play, so I knew I was going to end up liking this come what may. Like many others I was brought up on the Gorham/Robertson twin guitar assault, but Bell has always intrigued me since I heard "Whiskey in the Jar" and THAT solo, so I belatedly got around to ordering my copy. I approached with an open mind - I didn't expect Lizzy's later output but my expectations were still pleasantly exceeded. This is generally a more acoustic & intimate sound, with some great vocals from Phil Lynott. There's little of the heavier Lizzy sound of the late '70s - mostly a more restrained & folky feel, with some impressive & powerful guitar playing.

While to a consistent standard throughout, the opening couple of tracks set the mood, with "Honesty Is No Excuse" displaying what an emotive & much missed vocalist Phil Lynott is. Other highlights for me include "Look What the Wind Blew In"...Clifton Grange Hotel"..."Saga of the Ageing Orphan" and "Things Ain't Working Out Down at the Farm" but I couldn't detect a weak track here. So if like me your fave Lizzy album just happens to be "Jailbreak" then put aside any preconceptions you may have & listen with an open mind (and ears).... I've only listened to it twice - first time I thought it was "OK"...second time I thought "I like it"...so here's a pre-emptive 5 stars for the third listen!... So if it doesn't 'click' the first time, for goodness sake don't file it away! - stick with it & it just might come to you. A short review but others say it better.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 10 Sep 2014
ace cd

3.0 out of 5 stars O dear, 27 Nov 2010
I absolutely adore the first Lizzy album, first band I saw as a three-piece before the cock-rock era and I love its charm and especially Eric Bell's guitar parts which are little gems. In fact I always take it with me on holiday! The re-master doesn't illuminate much buried in the mix or feel that much sharper and as for the extra tracks which promise so much, don't bother. Gary's Les Paul is sort of sprayed on the tracks and it hasn't added to the songs. Don't get me wrong, Gary Moore is an exceptional player (and watching him try out guitars in the Orange shop in Charing Cross road in the 70's has left its mark on me) and has as much right as anyone (apart from Eric) to try something new but it hasn't worked here (for me, anyway). Great album, good sleeve-notes but not the revelation I was hoping for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Oct 2014
This review is from: Thin Lizzy (Audio CD)
ok

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely music - but disappointing packaging, 1 Jan 2011
The album is great - it's hard to falter Thin Lizzy's music and with great extras. However I am disapointed that this is in a standard cd plastic case and not in a lovely gatefold like Vagabonds..

Thin Lizzy [VINYL]
Thin Lizzy [VINYL] by Thin Lizzy (Vinyl - 2012)