Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Voyage Shop Now Shop now

on 19 October 2001
This is, essentially, the regular 13-song release PLUS two bonus tracks. Good news - bonus track #1 "Off Minor" is great. Bad news - bonus track #2 is just an alternate take of "Ruby My Dear".
The guitar tone is excellent. Andy's mannerisms colour the compositions rather than overpowering them. If you like "Synaesthesia" or ""Peggy's Blue Skylight", you'll like "Green Chimeys PLUS [IMPORT]".
In my opinion, the bonus track, "Off Minor" justifies the extra cost but then I'm biased.
BIG HINT: Invest in a Japanese-English translation dictionary. Most of the sleeve notes are in Japanese! :-(
on 3 July 2011
I bought this through Amazon Prime - it arrived the next day and I have been playing it constantly for the last 10 days. My wife is heartily sick of it - that is why headphones were invented!

I have been a fan of Mr Summers since early Police days and had heard his work in the 60's. He has always had a interesting sound and expression and uses effects and techniques that snobs might sneer at. However, I believe him to be an extremely versatile musician who uses all tools at his disposal to create space, light, shade, tone and rhythm patterns that intrigue and move the listener. He is not just a technician, his expression is subtle but emotional - his solo on 'Round Midnight' moves me to tears.

I literally grew up listening to Thelonius Monk and other jazz musicians. My parents were fans and played Monk to send me off to sleep as a baby! We are a guitar playing family and have always favoured a more gentle style of guitar for jazz music.

So, this album was bound to please me but I am just knocked out by it. I do not enjoy everything that Andy Summers plays on all his albums. He is such an extremely accomplished player with such a wide repertoire that any one person is unlikely to appreciate it all equally. However, this album is perfect for me.

The expression he brings to Monk's tunes, through his tones, techniques and interpretation is, I believe, sign of what I now consider to be a musical genius. Andy makes references to many other musicians on this album. I hear echoes of Django, Carlton and many other giants of rock and jazz. Talent is 99% effort and Andy has paid his dues over decades, he has done his scales and practised his chops! He has served a long and eventful apprenticeship - this is his masterpiece.

More Monk please maestro!
on 23 July 2015
Andy is just great here. Love it.