5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 19 April 2007
This review is from: If 3 (Audio CD)
I had all the If album in the 1970s but have long since lost them. When I saw them available on CD I wondered if they were as good as I remembered. I was not disappinted. If3 is spectacular. Dave Quincey takes the bulk of the writing credits and it is clear that he is at the top of his game here. The opening track Fibonacci's Number, which is a Quincey penned intrumental, starts deceptively with ominous organ before giving way to a funky groove with horns then flute taking the lead. This sounds like a classic 1970's film theme and I mean that as a compliment.The remainder of the tracks are songs with the whole band getting their moment in the limelight. Other members of the band do get writing credits which adds to the usual If mix of variety under the unifying band sound. Upstairs by Dick and Birgitta Morrissey has strong rock edge to it and Terry Smith andJ.W. Hodgkinsons Seldom Seen Sam not olny has a great title but is great song which contrasts a strong riff with delicate flute then electric piano.

It is a shame that this band did not survive for longer but we should be thankful that they left behind such a strong collection of albums.

As far as the other albums are concerned do check out If and If2 and as far as the last album is concerned you pays you money you takes your choice between If4 and Waterfall (the European Vs the American versions of broadly the same material in slightly different order and slightly different track listing) either way you miss the odd track that is on one but not the other and although my tendency is to go with the European If4 I think that Waterfall with the inclusion of You In Your Small Corner.. A and B sides as bonus track does shade it.

5.0 out of 5 stars IF AT THEIR BEST, 20 Mar 2009
This review is from: If 3 (Audio CD)
My favourite If album - starting from the first track the instrumental "Fibonacci's Number" with brilliant flute and guitar, going on to "Forgotten Roads" with JW's wonderful vocals, a few quieter songs in between and a darker, heavier "Upstairs", ending with a plodding "Here Comes Mr Time".

5.0 out of 5 stars What If, 8 May 2009
John R. Baird "The Sweatysock" (Tullibody) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If 3 (Audio CD)
What If indeed. I was lucky enough to see this band in my home town when they had just released this album. They were touring with "Steamhammer" and a band called Million, I vaguely remeber Steamhammer but was totally knocked out with this brand new sound of rock and jazz mixed together in a very exciting and vibrant manner. I'm sure they started with "Fibonacci's Number" and just took off. So much so I nipped out to my local record store, remember them? and invested about 3.00 in a brand new copy, yes I am that old. The album was everybit as good as the gig had been with no fillers and loads of stick in your head hooks. I lost the vinyl some years later and thought that was the last I had heard of "If". Recently I decided to have a search on Amazon, and there to my total surprise was the superb "If 3" and loads of other "If" stuff.
"If",sorry, you have any love of early British jazz/rock or if you prefer rock /jazz, do yourself a favour and invest in a little bit of british music history. You will NOT be disapointed. What IF I hadn't gone to that gig on a wet Tuesday night?

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, 27 Feb 2012
D. E. Landick - See all my reviews
This review is from: If 3 (Audio CD)
I saw this band in around 1970/71, I had this album for a long time but mislaid it somewhere. I never forgot it and had almost given up ever hearing it again until I found it on Amazon. I've found that sometimes nostalgia can deceive, but this sounds as good as ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars If3 a few years on., 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: If 3 (Audio CD)
I remembered 'Here comes Mr Sun' from a vinyl sampler from years back and bought the album on the strength of that memory and I wasn't disappointed. The musicianship on the album is good and to call it dated would be doing it an injustice, however it is definitely 'of it's time' (a time when I was thin and had hair). The lyrics are sometimes a bit naff and pretentious and it reminds me somewhat of Colosseum, great music but questionable lyrics - but not bad enough to stop me listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philj, 18 May 2013
This review is from: If 3 (Audio CD)
One of the best Jazz/Rock albums ever produced. I bought it on vinyl along with If, If2 and If4 when they were first released. Unfortunately I got rid of my vinyl collection years ago (and now regret it!) and I almost forgot of their existence. Something prompted me to see if they were available now on CD and as a result I ordered all 4 from Amazon. I still rate If3 as the best followed closely by If2. Superb music! I thoroughly recommend!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A forgotten gem, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: If 3 (Audio CD)
I had IF 3 on vinyl back in the seventies and somewhere along the way it disappeared. When I realised the album was still in circulation I immediately bought it as I remember there was something about it that Iliked. The one track that stood out and I immediately recognised was Sweet January starting with some excellent flute and vocal worth it for that track alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than I remembered, 25 Dec 2012
Donald Leatt (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If 3 (Remastered) (MP3 Download)
I was impressed just how good they sound. I can only say go on listen to it and then you will understand why

5.0 out of 5 stars It Was A Steal....., 29 Feb 2012
This review is from: If 3 (Audio CD)
........... I heard this in a friend of a friends flat......the guy put it on , played half of the first track -"Fibonaccis Number" , and saying "what a load of crap" , took it off and threw it into the corner ! But I heard what he didn't , and was mesmerized..........to my shame , I stole it on my way out............ all too stoned to notice ...... and I'm buggered if I'd ever give it back ! Years later someone gave me a second "mint" copy , and I still have both & the cd......it's one of my favorite albums ever , not a weak song.........I also have all of their other stuff too, a magic band ............. and if you like them, check out Darryl Way's Wolf . with JD on vocals in that band as well........in fact you can follow any band member's career and find only quality ...................... best thing I ever nicked !