on 7 September 1998
A good read, would make a great Noir Film. Doesn't pound you over the head with New Orleans items, just a backdrop, but anyone familar with The City, will get all the locations, food, bars, etc. This was Tony Dunbar's first novel and while the cover(paperback)refers to him as reminiscent of Donald Westlake and Elmore Lenoard; other than some characters that could turn up in either's books, Dunbar has a style of his own style. Makes you anxious to read the next novel in the series.
on 11 July 2015
If ever there was a city that needs visiting it is New Orleans, that is if you like the music and the food. This ebook is set in New Orleans and very atmospheric it is too. The principle character - Tubby Dubonnet is a detective with style and an apparent large appetite. As a student I drank Dubonnet fairly regularly and therefore was drawn to read the scenario that would unfold in this story because of the principle characters name. Should you buy a ebook on that basis, I think so. the story is colourful and Tubby has an ex wife and three daughters to support so I sympathise with his character. The Mardi Gras features and some of the delicious food is mentioned along with his love of French roast coffee and chicory, home made pecan praline and so on. I loved this ebook not least because of the mystery that unfolds but because it portrays a city I would dearly love, one day to visit. Forget floods etc New Orlean comes across as a city that needs visiting to absorb the culture of the music and the food available.
on 27 April 2013
I liked the main character Tubby and some of the other characters a lot and liked the references to New Orleans,the pace of the book was fine and I wasn't sure how it was all going to work out,I think its a great start to a new series, and I would definately read more.
on 22 February 2015
I liked the characters .Also hope to read the book on Tubby,very unusual friends he has.
I once visited New Orleans ,so I tried to visualize some of the places involved.
on 12 June 2013
Run of the mill story about a not so funny attorney,nothing to write home about might make decent telly.won't be rushing to read any more tubby Dubonnet escapades.
on 7 January 2015
A good read with a great plot and I liked the main character a lot. Would read more in this series.
on 25 June 2014
The book is good on atmosphere and description of New Orleans, but the main character is not likeable or believable. He murders two men in the book and does not suffer any psychological effects. He just worries about being scared and getting caught- no guilt at all. Wouldn't want to read any more of this series.
on 4 June 2016
I read a lot of this type of stuff and this is slightly above average. This is the sort of read for a train journey. It won't tax you and, I'm afraid the humour was lost on me. If I've put you off, I don.t mean to but, this is nothing tobe enthusiastic about.
on 27 May 2015
...but lightweight. There wasn't much to it but it passed a couple of hours pleasantly enough. Just don't expect Raymond Chandler, nor Michael Connelly. Probably won't bother with the second in the series even if it's free.
on 8 June 2016
Quite a good read, story line a bit different but a very light read until the ending which I found very confusing.