5.0 out of 5 stars Early days with the MOMO8 BIRD
A few months ago I bought a Scroll Excel 7 inch tablet to have beside my rocking chair ( I am in my late seventies ) to be able to dip into whilst watching TV rather than use my cumbersome laptop. The tablet served its purpose well but over time I began to feel that the 7 inch screen was too small and I have never much liked its 16:9 format. I therefore decided to look...
Published on 29 May 2012 by Gimli 54

1.0 out of 5 stars bad experience
contacted the seller twice every time giving half an answer, the device looks OK but the screen looks too pale for the rsolution it's sold as, when in charge it goes haywire with the screen acting on its own and doing all sortes of weired stuff, eg. zoom rather than scroll, change sound setting rather than start an application, really worried about safety level lwhen...
Published on 5 Aug 2012 by wassim

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars New to this tablet craze-thingummy! - Updated after 1 year, 6 July 2012
This review is from: Ployer Momo8 Bird Tablet PC - 8 Inch Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich) - 1024 * 768 Capacitive 5 Point Touch Screen, 1.6GHz Processor, 8GB storage, 1GB DDR3 Memory, Ultra Thin, 9.7mm design - 3D Output - Flash 11.1 - New Google Play installed - All iPlayers and Flash Content Compatible - 1.3MP Camera (Personal Computers)
My Momo8 has just arrived on the third day after ordering from GTR Electronics (the popular choice by other reviewers). The charger was bubble-wrapped and taped to the main packaging. There was no bubble-wrap on the main package that was smaller than I expected - without the charger it could have slipped through the letterbox! However, the box that houses the Momo8 is expertly crafted in sturdy card and is presented very nicely, almost like a luxury box of chocolates. Inside I found the Momo8, wrapped in an insulated sleeve with thin plastic film protectors on front and rear (I believe some think these are screen protectors for usage - it does seem to work with it on), along with 2 USB leads for various connecting options.
There was a little charge on the device, enough for a play around. I used to be tech savvy but seem lost in the haze of modern day gizmos and the whole mobile phone/tablet fields but after a few screen taps I was instantly asked to choose a WIFI option from a list of local signals; choosing mine and entering my security code, I was connected to the internet. Further playing around revealed a grid in the top-right corner that opened all the stored Apps.
I have only had about an hour before I had to set to recharge but these are what I've found so far:
WIFI connection is as good as my partner's IPOD connection - this is obviously only as good as your WIFI box can emit.
There is some feint interference on the screen when WIFI is actively downloading.
The device gets quite warm on the back after a while.
There are some video, photo and music demos in the memory, Celine Dion anyone? Video looks good, photos can be pinch-zoomed but music player is very basic - it reminds me of the XBOX 360 music player a bit.
The front facing camera is difficult to judge because it is to the right hand side thus making it difficult to photo yourself (for you Facebook poseurs).
The touch screen seems to work fine with the screen protector still on.
I'm not sure how long it takes to charge but guess about 3 hours - I will update if I find out. I'll also provide further info as I get to know my Momo8. I've only rated 4 stars at the moment until I can see what else it can do. I only have the IPOD Touch, Sony PSP and desktop PC to compare with so not sure how other tablets perform. I can already say that internet access is better than the PSP by an extremely large margin!

UPDATE - The screen protector really is a screen protector! I lifted the top-sheet off by the tab, thinking it was just an overlay for sales purposes, to find a screen protector underneath - bonus!
Charging took about 3.5 hours via plug (UK 3 pin Supplied by GTR Electronics).
There is a screen just to the left of the home screen that has quick buttons to switch WIFI on/off, synching on/off and adust brightness - I find this useful for to switch the WIFI off when not in use to save battery life.
There is a user guide on the device if you open the Adobe Reader, which is very useful.

UPDATE 1 Year on - Piece of Chinese crap. Was working great for about 9-10 months then the battery started to fail. Tablet started switching off at 20% life left then gradually increased to 40%. Now it has cut out at 53% and I spend much of the time plugged in - I might as well just sit at my PC. I'm updating to a Samsung or a Nexus and not falling for this pap again regardless of good reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars customer service, 21 July 2012
i am a long time PC veteran, going back to the early 80's so seen about everything, bought the tablet on a whim and to be honest did not expect too much for a 100 quid.

What a pleasant surprise when it arrrived, easy to use,fast, good screen, so good my wife has claimed it.

Read all the reviews and agree with 99% of them, odd people complaining about build quality, screen resolution etc obviously think they spent £600 not a £100,

so no techie speak you want a tablet simples buy this one.

following on i had a problem with the machine freezing, contacted the manufacturer who replied within hours, on a sunday !!!, told me exactly what to do and solved the problem immediatly, what customer service

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tablet, excellent service (GTR), 5 July 2012
Came across this device when looking for something to entertain my toddlers on long car journeys. Had previously purchased v cheap devices without proper android market, with rubbish screens and awful battery life, rendering them virtually useless.

I was so impressed by the reviews of the Momo8 and the numerous references to GTR Electronics, and Gary who I assume is the main man behind it all, that I did wonder whether he'd written all the reviews himself. Anyway, putting my inner cynic aside, I fired off an email with a couple of questions about the tablet and within a few short hours had a comprehensive reply from Gary. I ordered late Monday evening and received a pair of the tablets Wednesday am.

Very impressed with the service from GTR (highly recommend that you purchase through them - note they are not the main seller on Amazon).

As for the device - fantastic. Solid build almost as good as my Samsung Galaxy 10.1. They work a treat, no issues connecting to Wifi or anything else in set-up. All very straightforward. Have had a play around this evening and they're great value for money. Not quite in the same class as my Galaxy but that is certainly not £200+ better. Screen is good, not quite as sharp as more expensive tablets or phones but definitely the best mobile device I've seen anywhere for less than a couple of hundred quid. Highly recommend both the product and GTR Electronics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Momo8 Bird, 23 Jun 2012
I've had this tablet a few weeks now, initially I wanted it to read e-books on and to watch iPlayer...
Unlike most people on here I still can't get my iPlayer to work for more than a minute or so until it starts stuttering, but am getting used to this.

I bought it from GTR, and would wholeheartedly recommend this company to anyone, when I had probs with the iPlayer Gary (from GTR) answered my emails promptly and I got the feeling he really wants his customers to be 100% happy with their purchases. He sent me a replacement unit without quibble, having offered me a refund which I didn't want to take as I was already smitten with my new tablet.

I don't know why I seem to be the only one who can't get iPlayer to work but i guess it's something I have to put up with, in the scheme of things the Momo8 Bird is a lovely tablet for the price, I use the Kindle android app a lot, I like to read with the lights out! Don't get eye strain too much either.

As for viewing video files it really comes into its own, I simply load up my memory card, slot it in and can enjoy clear crisp movies...would recommend some kind of stand to prop it up with while you do this otherwise can get a little heavy.

My only slight gripe is that the power lead is too short, but then I guess am used to my laptop which I usually leave plugged in so no battery discharge...but then I'm sure I could easily find a longer one...this and my iPlayer prob are the only reason i haven't given 5 stars.

Would still recommend to others as EVERYONE else seems to be able to get their iPlayer to work, I guess I just have that magic touch with technology :D

UPDATE!! I guess i wasn't the only one after all, anyone having this problem can find a fix from Gary in the comments section at the bottom of the page...changed to 5 stars, whoop!

1.0 out of 5 stars !!!BEWARE OF BUYING FROM THIS SELLER!!!, 31 Mar 2013
Just before Christmas I ordered this tablet, which arrived in time and in good condition. Things started to go wrong as soon as we noticed a defect in the product itself, in that the socket for the charger jack became loose and unfit to receive the jack, and therefore would no longer charge ( i was a bit dubious of the quality of the item for the price but took the risk anyway).

The real problems occurred when trying to resolve the issue. Having contacted the seller, the advised me to return the item to a given address, which I did at my expense, so that they could send out a replacement model. 2 weeks went by and no replacement so having contacted them to find out why, they informed me that it must have become lost in the post, and that they'd send another.

Another 2 weeks and no tablet, so contacted the seller again to ask where the replacement was and the same reply in that there was some sort of error in the postal system, and that they'd send another tablet.

As you may guess.... no replacement.

These guys have conned me and so I have been robbed and made a fool of. Unfortunately Amazon have done very little to help and so I will have to pursue other methods to get my money back.

No I know this may be a one off case, but I'd strongly recommend you avoid this seller in the event that your product become defective - in which case, you're screwed!

1.0 out of 5 stars TOTAL AND UTTER RUBBISH, 3 Nov 2012
Paulene Thorne "Wyvern" (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
I had wanted to leave no stars, but that was not an option, so one star is the minimum allowed. I bought this tablet after reading the reviews which seemed favourable. What a mistake. I should have known from the moment it came out of the box that I was in for a stressful time. It was displaying an error message but it was all in Chinese. As I do not read Chinese I have no idea what it was all about. The only way I could remove it was a general system reset, cue the whole tablet now in Chinese. I had to reset the language to English. Since then the wretched thing has been the bane of my life. If it went any slower it would be going backwards, it has a mind if it's own, ie. I touch one link on one side of the page, but the tablet highlights and loads something totally different on the other side of the page. The keyboard likewise goes into gibberish mode occasionally. Touch 'p' and you are more likely to be rewarded with 'qse,.%&£4#' or something similar. It seems to spend all the time telling me that either various apps are not responding, do I want to close them (it's obviously not designed to deal with how slow it is), or, increasingly, telling me that various apps have stopped. The final straw came this morning. The kindle app has stopped. Uninstalling then re-installing does not work. It still tells me 'kindle has stopped'. I had thought that at least I could read from my kindle library on my flight today. Instead I may just launch it earthwards from 32 000 feet.

2.0 out of 5 stars Momo Bird - Read Before Buying, 20 Sep 2012
M. Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
Like a lot of purchasers here, I've been looking for a low priced tablet for casual surfing/youtube/iplayer/kindle type use and was encouraged by some of the favourable reviews posted on this site and others. I decided to take the plunge and ordered one from China (mistake number one) and waited around 3 weeks for delivery. The item I got had no charger or English manual, so like many others, I went to the super helpful GTR website and downloaded theirs. I also downloaded the firmware update hoping to rid myself of the copious Chinese apps and widgets this comes pre-loaded with.

Although I am a 'techie' I have to say I failed to get the update to work - trying it on two different windows machines (running Vista and 7) it failed repeatedly with the same error message despite me following verbatim the instructions in the update tool. Plan B suggested I just manually delete anything Chinese except for the things you cant, such as the stock but completely useless browser.

A lot of unfavourable reviews on here (and elsewhere) mention the disappointment with the clarity of the screen and I would have to say that this is by far the worst aspect of this device. All the review talk of 1024 by 768 resolution means nowt, when the screen itself exhibits an effect like it has a thin layer of gauze stretched over it. I'll take some pictures so you can see what I mean, but the affect is akin to a very cheap and nasty LCD screen image. It also has a very odd and extremely narrow 'sweet spot' for optimal viewing and although Ice Cream Sandwich appears to offer backlight control in its settings I found turning this on and off made no difference to how the screen looked, or its black level and contrast.

The screen is at best 'adequate' but bears no relation whatsoever to the stock shots of the Momo that every website carried (most likely supplied by the manufacturer) which whilst appealing in effect set you up for a serious disappointment! This quality of screen may be fine for you - it certainly has been for many, but I would strongly suggest you buy from a UK supplier who has a fair returns policy if it isnt.

The stock rom is functional - but only just! In practice the unit is rather slow and laggy, and web page loading times would make you think you were working on a far more modest broadband connection than you have probably got. If yours is low - I would suggest steering away from this tablet completely. I downloaded a well favoured browser - Dolphin HD - which did not sit well with the Momo and caused it to switch off every time I loaded it. An alternative - Maxthon HD - seems to work better. Some of the apps that you like or may even have paid for may not work with this tablet. ALthough I found a workaround for tunein radio - I was not able to download and run Netflix. Itunes and Skype work reasonably well though the camera quality isnt very good and doing more than one thing at a time on this tablet is likely to bring the whole thing crashing down.

Sound quality is reasonable through the small speaker if not that loud and surprisingly good through headphones - provided you have a decent pair. I connected it to my 1080P TV with a 1080P file to see how it would cope (it claims to be able to output 2160P video quality, but again, this is just meaningless marketing hype on a screen as poor as this one you really wont notice any difference between 480p or 1080p apart from the size of the file hogging your sd card. Playing the image on a bigger TV did work but the picture stuttered, particularly
with those larger HD files. The HDMI feed also didnt output 5.1 even though the soundtrack of the movie I tried was coded that way, but perhaps that was a rather too big an ask of such a modest tablet!

Even though it is undoubtedly cheap, you do, as another review has pointed out, get what you pay for. For me, this tablet has fallen below my modest but hopeful expectations largely on the disappointment of the low resolution screen compared to the pin sharp photoshopped images it gets advertised with. If you are going to try one, do so with both eyes open and one of them on the availability of a UK exit door if you suffer the same experience as me.

Mine is going back to China - God only knows how long it will take to get a refund - and I'm going to try and get either a Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD or maybe a cheap Galaxy as their seems to be a few of these about at the moment. Twice the price - but I think these tablets actually work properly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great size and price - but battery??, 4 July 2012
Derek Pike (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I have had my Ployer Momo 8 Bird for 3 weeks now (from GTR in Scotland). I wanted a kindle, but saw they could not handle pdf documents very well. I have lots of manuals in A4 pdf files and wanted something to read these on, plus read emails and web browse.

This device does all of these very nicely. Took me a while to choose the right pdf reader. Used the Kindle for a while before buying exPDF reader which holds the right level of zoom for reading my documents. I have the brightness on 0% and this is fine for reading indoors. Not tried it in full sun, but I am getting some anti-glare screen protectors ready for when the sun does actualy shine this summer!

I knew the battery life would not be great, but it seems to vary tremendously. I have had as little as 2 hours use, but also 15 hours. There is a graph showing battery usage, and the device does not seem to go to sleep at times. I have not yet worked out which app is keeping it awake. Wifi does use more battery and it gets warm at times with it on. As a result, I shut it down at night - when I tend to charge it - so all apps are closed, then reopen apps as I need them.

For me the combination of size, price and features has made it a great investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tablet!, 11 Jun 2012
I've had this tablet for 5 days now, and I must say that I'm suprized about how good it is. The build quality seems real good, and the speed is better than I expected for a tablet at this price. I bought it from lol-buy. They answered ALL my mails within 5 minuttes (now thats customer service!)
I would recommend the tablet for anyone who want a cheap tablet, worth it's price.

-I'm actually writing this review from my tablet ;-)

1.0 out of 5 stars Terible after service, 16 May 2013
Everything is fine until something goes wrong. I would suggest trying everything within the 1st 90 days then you can get your money back other wise you should just chuck it in the bin.

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›