Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 2 April 2015
OMG!! This is truly one of the most emotional films I have ever seen, from start to finish you will be glued to your tv set, Christian Bale is amazing in his role and makes you ask yourself what would you do if you were in his shoes.An amazing story line well acted and very powerful scenes you will most certainly need your tissues at the ready, from start to finish you will be so moved that this film will stay with you for a long long time absolutely brilliant movie makes you realise how precious life really is!!
on 26 February 2015
the film was well acted but brutal, very brutal and leaves lingering thoughts there of man's inhumanity towards other people, a period of history that is not really told, though the city of life and death, Escape from Huang Shi, city of war all provide a new view pre European world war, one I had no insight onto and following on from these with books of the subject matter opened my eyes.
watch this watch the others to say I enjoyed them is wrong but I would return to them again
on 11 October 2013
OK it was a little properganderish on behalf of the Chinese Army but overall a very interesting, moving and well acted film. THe three languages used in it made it seem more authentic even though it did make it difficult to follow at times. I think that this film should be made essential viewing for todays generation to show that WW2 did not start in 1939 with us against the nasty Nazi's.
on 7 July 2013
I was a bit reticent when I bought this but quickly fell into the story.
It covers the Japanese occupation of Nanking and a mixture of characters seeking refuge in a Christian Church/convent

A few twists and turns and a few moments of how did he do that? (when repairing the truck)

All in all a pretty good film covering Japanese brutality towards the Chinese
on 16 June 2013
The movie "Flowers of War" is excellent, I loved it. It is the only movie I Know if, in the West, apart from "The Last Emperor" to cover a neglected tale of tragedy; the events of Japans invasion of China. It is an action movie, with pathos at the end. Christian Bale is one of the very few actors, today, with genuine and very well deserved star quality.
on 16 November 2013
While Christian Bale played his part in his usual very professional way, making his character thoroughly believable, he was backed up by a cast also played their parts well. A couple of scenes, especially of the two girls who returned to retrieve items and were captured, were rather gory, but apart from that it was a believable and well put-together story line.
on 10 August 2013
An excellent - must see war film for anybody interested in that period. Moving and well crafted. Some really great acting, very absorbing. Recommended. It portrays the horrors of the consequences of war, without becoming too obvious or silly. It sticks to telling the story, which is what all good films have in essence - with some affecting visuals.
on 16 February 2014
I love all types of films, of all genres. This is one of them that hit me, not because of the gruesomeness it displays or EVEN the glorified Hollywood spin that got put on it.

No, it made me take a step back in my head and think of the many sacrifices other people made throughout time for the little comforts we take for granted each morning we get up and moan about our daily grind.

This is a brilliant film and; and well cast. It hits you and in a way makes you fell good to know that real people made these kind of sacrifices for how to put it 'our fellow man' it really touched me and will with an honest heart say I welled up inside.

Please watch this film, if not for the lack of being educated about what happened in 1937(The RAPE of Nanking) over a period of about six weeks in which coincidentally most Japanese records of the event were 'Lost', this is something that has been historically SWEPT under the carpet and should be 'outted'. There is lots more then depicted to know, but; this gives a insight to some of what happened.

Over all this is still a powerful film and; deserves more credit then it ever got and on the Blu-ray it looked great too as; there was little SFX needed, although it is not as detailed as City of Life and Death, it's still a great film and if you're not touched by it, get a check up to see if you actually possess a Heart!

Would Highly recommend this film(good if you want a loved one to cry on your shoulder) as it's excellently made and put across.

Hope this helps anyone who's thinking of buying without SEEING(watch it!!).
on 27 November 2013
Beware anyone buying this Blu-ray. It has been transferred in the wrong aspect ratio. It was originally filmed at 2.39:1, but the Blu-ray has been transferred at 1.78:1 open matte!!!! Why I don't know, but it look dreadful, with massive open spaces at the top and bottom of the frame. Just to make people aware.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2013
Did not expect the story to pan out like it did. The sub titles did not put me off as the story was brilliant especially as it was based on fact. Knew nothing about the film when I chose it from Love film and down loaded it on my Kindle. It is amzing how human beings can act when faced with a common fear.