4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected for the price.
I was a little sceptical of how good these were going to be, having read a few reviews about the range being very poor and not even spanning the distance between a trouser pocket and one's head.

Published 10 months ago by B. Whitehead

3.0 out of 5 stars A good start, but needs further work.
I have been using my Backbeat GO's for around 2 months now and they where purchased from Amazon.com, I saw them featured on a blog and decided to order them despite knowing they would be released in the UK shortly.

Published on 10 July 2012 by D. Policarpo

3.0 out of 5 stars A good start, but needs further work., 10 July 2012
D. Policarpo (Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plantronics BackBeat GO Wireless Stereo Bluetooth Headset - Black (Accessory)

Initially I was impressed with the build quality and general look of the earphones, I was worried they might be to heavy or look strange as they stick out a fair bit but surprisingly, they are very light, look and feel fine in person.

The non tangle flat cord is neat feature, the length of the cable is just right although the material used is like a matte black rubber and would rub and get caught on my skin sometimes which was annoying, especially when trying to adjust the cable to wrap around my head centrally, which in turn would normally cause one of the earphones to pop out. The remote volume up and down button doesn't feel great but does function as required.

To wear the GO's is the worst thing about them, I found it was always 50/50. On some occasions the earphones would sit nicely in my ears and not move much and feel comfortable. On other occasions no matter what I tried, including testing out the different ear bud sizes (not stabilisers), they felt uncomfortable. This would happen no matter what activity I was doing weather it be sitting at a desk, cycling, or walking (no running tested).

Sound quality depending on how much of an audiophile you are is ok. For music there isn't much of a kick or bass to the sound but it reproduces sound well, volume isn't the best even on the highest set volume through the earphones and my iPhone combined, sound just never felt loud enough. The earphones however do an ok job of noise canceling though which helps.

For spoken audio such as podcasts or audio books the sound is perfect and the same can be said when taking calls, the quality was great. The audio and connection quality was flawless, others on the line could hear my voice loud and clear with no problems through the remote mic.

Battery life is around 4.5 hours, this could be improved but isn't terrible. I didn't get the chance to fully test audio listening constantly so can't claim if it holds up to the 4.5 hours or not. Standby time is around 10 hours if you keep the earphones constantly on which is better, the 4.5 hours though for phone calls might not be sufficient for someone who makes and receives a lot of calls. It certainly isn't enough for music listening and is only really suitable for short walks, runs or cycles.

I guess these earphones aren't designed so much for music listening on the go which is what i would have preferred and more for calls on the go. That's fair enough and it does do the latter part great, however the marketing for the GO's certainly suggest otherwise.

For a first attempt at a more commercial, lightweight and simple looking wireless earphone Plantronics have done a decent job but I certainly feel like the product needs further development. The volume, battery lifetime and comfort levels could all be improved, maybe the technologies are just not quite there yet and this would in turn mean compromises in the earphones other great features such as its size and weight, only time will tell with future models. Oh and for around £65 these are pretty good value for money!

7/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected for the price., 21 Nov 2013
B. Whitehead "Ben" (UK) - See all my reviews

Those reviewers must had a faulty pair of headphones or trousers made of lead, as mine reached from my living room to my kitchen (through a concrete wall!) and continued to play effortlessly at a distance of at least 10m from my phone while I was in the gym.

I'm currently testing the battery life, but can confirm they've been playing a full volume for over 2 hours now! I won't update this review later on after completing the test as I'm lazy.

The sound quality is very crisp with a broad spectrum and surprisingly good bass.

The noise reduction caused by the ear-buds is also better than on other headphones I've tried. They're almost as effective as ear-plugs that are worn while operating noisy machinery. I suppose that is assuming you manage to get as good a fit as I did; you might have freaky ear canals that aren't as compatible as my perfectly formed orifices.

I was also worried about the volume prior to purchasing these, based on a couple of reviews. Perhaps the reviewers were partially, if not totally deaf - the volume is as good, if not better than both pairs of my wired headphones. However, I have to admit, at first I disappointed in the volume as well, before realising (actually it was my mother that pointed this out to me!) that the volume control on the headphones is independent to that on the device you're using (unlike my bluetooth speaker, whereby the volume on the speaker controls the volume on the paired device). Once I had cranked the volume up on both the headphones and my phone, I was fully satisfied with the output.

Coupled with the noise reduction you get, you should not be disappointed with the volume.

My only slight qualm with the product is that, although they look aesthetically pleasing and hi-tech in the box (they are packaged very nicely), one you detach them from the box and wear them, they look a bit clunky and by no means flashy. On a positive note, some bluetooth headphones are too overstated and make you look a star trek fan. I have always preferred substance over style anyway, but if your a flashy, "look-at-me" type guy, these aren't for you. Being less eye-catching that other pairs on the market, they're probably less likely to get knicked if you're walking home through a dodgy area!

Although I didn't really purchase these to make phone calls with (I've never really been a fan of hands-free calls and feel like a prat whenever I try it!), you might be interested to know that I used this feature earlier and my girlfriend on the other end of the line said she could hear me fine. I had no problems hearing her either (and not just because she's loud!).

To summarise:
Range - Does what it says, at least 10 metres without any issues. Transmits through my gym bag/clothing perfectly.
Battery life - 2 hours and still going
Sound Quality - Excellent
Volume - Loud enough to block out the heavy-metal blasting from the speakers in the gym!
Looks - Fairly bland and simple.

Verdict: 4 Stars. For £40 you wont be disappointed. You'd have to spend a lot, lot more to get a better pair than these.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb and reliable purchase with 1 tiny minus, 5 Sep 2013
I gave this the highest score possible due to the fact that these headphones are living up to every single of my expectatons. The sound quality is supreme. The hold they provide is reliable and solid. The are blocking out all sound so you dont have to crank up the volume and risk damaging you hearing due to the fact that someone is talking or yelling behind you or if you're annoyed by traffic..these babies will block all of those damn noises (not entirely obviously but sufficiently and once the music plays you wont even notice) and allow you to listen to your favorite songs without any further ado.
They are worth the cost without a doubt but as I said there is one small minus here. The battery quality is rather terrible. It only lasts for ...hmm ca. 2-3 hours MAX. They are great for listening to music even though the aren't recommended for it and thats exactly because of the battery capacity. If you can accept that minus then these headphones will live up to every other expectation you might have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 4 Feb 2013
I have to say after reading the review I was sceptical of these headphones.. However, after buying and using them I have to give them 5 stars.
I use them for running and for the gym and found them to be great.
Range was good - left my phone in the locker and they worked great.
Volume could be a little louder, but this wasn't a major issue.
I have been using the medium sized buds and have no issue with them working loose.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but these are not the ones, 27 Nov 2013
Every new bluetooth headset I get is better and better but still not the definitive ones, something I can say I am fully satisfied.

I had the Sony MW600 which were good but they got tangled and also in winter time difficult to reach the controls with so many clothes. Volume button was also a disaster (bad design), but good sound and battery. Then I got the LG Tone HBS 7xx, which were very good when it comes to portability as I barely noticed them and they were very tiny. Good battery and no issues with cables getting tangled, however the sound was very poor. Now I got these ones, with the best sound among all I have tried, perfect design, no issues with cables, however the battery is poor and the size of these are just massive. They are not the most comfortable either.

I am happy for the time being, but I am still searching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super quality sound for a competitive price, 20 Aug 2013
Stu "Stu" (La Verne, California United States) - See all my reviews
Interesting packaging which took some getting into! Once opened, and having read the instructions I charged the 'phones for a couple of hours or so and they paired easily with the Kokkia i10s I had bought earlier from Amazon. Simple to operate the have given my iPod sixth generation a new lease of life as I can now wear it as a watch without any trailing cables. The sound quality is excellent. The only quibble I have is with the rubber ear pads. It came with just one set plus stabilisers. I hope that they will stay in place as they don't feel too secure. Time will tell. The worst case scenario is that I buy some new foam ear pads. Overall these produce a great quality sound for a great price. I'd certainly recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent earphones, 23 Sep 2013
John Bennett "johnufc" (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
These are very very good earphones.
I haven't tried them for mobile conversations but have used them extensively for listening to audio (books & music) whilst out walking. They are far superior to similar product from Jaybird, better fit, better sound, better Bluetooth performance.
Recommended - the only snag (for me anyway and then probably cos of my ears) is that I find it difficult to get a snug fit every time - a problem I have with most in-ear 'phones (except Klipsch X10i).
Yep, these are great wireless 'phones.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 8 Oct 2013
Very happy with these headphones been using it for 2months now. Battery life is not great but it does the job for going work and back.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect solution, 18 Aug 2013
Before i buy them i read a lot of reviews and finaly the choice was right..This headset is perfect for sports like running or lifting some weights and also for my job! I dont recommend it to someone who wants a classic headset for travel or want to hear music for hours...The battery always stands for the calls of a working day plus the athletic sessions of the same day and it never let me down!!! Always charge it at night like my smartphone...The buds always stays in my ears! The sound its not really loud but its loud enough! The quality of the mic is really good and nobody had problems to hear me when i use it to make calls...Excellent product and top quality ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Aug 2013
Wonderful piece of kit. Works really well with no problems. Easy set up and sound good. Very light and discrete