on 31 August 2012
First up, it looks great when built.
Easy enough to put together, BUT ......
Plan your installation before you screw it to the wall. The trunking between shelves and the top outlet is not very large, but even worse is the size of the top and bottom outlet plates. You can not pass a mains plug or a scart plug through them once they are fixed in place. A mains plug is not a problem, you can cut it off and refix later, but if you have scart leads, then the only thing you can do is lay them in place before the whole thing is fully assembled (this requires a little ingenuity in designing a support system whilst you do this).
All in all though, it does the job, it looks great, and it's cheap.
One star deducted for poor design on the top and bottom plates.
Will affix pics of the completed installation later.
review image
on 28 April 2013
Good shelves look nice up, not the biggest our sky box fits but nothing bigger would, but this is what it was bought for.Had people saying how nice they look.
on 14 September 2012
Prompt delivery. Item was easy to install following supplied instruction. One of the screws had a slightly bad thread but was just fit for purpose so I proceeded without seeking a replacement. After installation the shelf has proven to be sturdy and aesthetically pleasing.
on 5 January 2011
Bought this as I liked the sleek design and thought it would keep my audio/video equipment neatly together now that my new tv is mounted on the wall above the fireplace. Item arrived and pretty simple to assemble. Unlike a previous reviewer I have no issues with the weight and wall mounting bracket - it's certainly not going anywhere! The problem...and it's not good given that this is supposedly purpose built...is the fact that lots of equipment doesn't fit on it properly. Don't make the mistake I did and simply look at the dimensions of the shelves and your equipment because all the leads come through the centre hole and how far back your DVD player/home cinema etc can go depends upon the position of the terminals on the back of your equipment. Realistically, your equipment will be 100mm away from the the back edge of the shelves/wall, therefore, if it is over 255mm deep it will overhang the front of the shelf and thus look pretty naff. As another reviewer has mentioned, there's not a great deal of room for cables if you have two or three pieces of equipment on it and, let's face it, it's got three shelves!! Overall, looks nice but poorly thought out.
on 10 January 2013
If I have paid the supposed list price of this, I would have sent it back, it is typical Chinese quality, however it still looks good when mounted on my wall. dont forget to use a spirit level when putting it together or else it would look awful!

Please note the product images show only show DVD's etc mounted without cables, once cables have been installed it looks a bit messier!

Overall once installed the effect looks good, but it really needs a few design changes

1) The combs hiding the cables needs to be more flexible allowing for it to be used more effectively

2) the decorative end plates are useless as without cutting slots in them, your cables have to come out of the side, it would have been better being of a rubber construction so that the cables could be cut in with a Stanley knife
on 17 December 2012
The shelf arrived but when I read the manual the back page showed a drawing of the shelf on a wall. The cable tucks into some small flimsy plastic fingers down each side if the bracket, they are not hidden. The item is not as described - "Cable Management System to hide all your messy cables ". I got a refund from Amazon in the end as Habitat said I would have to return it at my own expense. I would have been £6.99 out of pocket for an item costing £6.99 + postage.
I will try and upload a scan of the back page of the manual showing the cable amd bracket.
review image
on 12 September 2011
The floating shelves are superb value, look great and are relatively easy to fit. I have noted that there have been a few complaints about not being able to fit all cables through the trunking, but I honestly found the space more than adequate, but I did take the time to feed cables and position as much equipment in place before the unit was fitted to the wall. It helped that I roped the Mrs and kids in to support the telly, shelves and various AV boxes! The trunking easily hides 3 HDMI, HD Sat and phone jack, Co-Ax, 3 Ethernet, Surround speaker wires, and 4 mains cables. I've even managed to thread a speaker wire through once it was up that I'd missed on the initial setup. The unit easily supports all my AV boxes- a PS3, Sky HD, Blue Ray surround sound system, and they all fit perfectly on the shelves- I think you have to take time getting the amount of cable just right to make it look really good.
Others have commented about the sharp edges in the holes of the supports, and that is definitely something to watch out for when feeding cables through- I got a couple of nicks, and skinned a speaker cable whilst fitting, so it might be a good idea to check for any sharp bits before you poke your fingers through.
Overall, though, I'm very satisfied with the product, installation guide, and the fixings supplied.
on 21 February 2016
If you are having the unit installed by a tradesman beware!! Check the unit delivered is what you ordered - mine looks very similar but it's not.
I bought one of these a few years ago and was completely happy with it. I decide to get another one when I installed another TV in my kitchen. What arrived is not what is described on the amazon site. On the version sent there is NO top entry hole for cable management and the concept for hiding cables simply does not work any other way because the aluminium extrusions sit to close to the wall to allow cables into the channel at the back. There are "Cable Clips" supplied with the unit which, if used you find there is no way to access the hidden channel at the back and in my opinion are an ugly waste of time . The unit is painted grey instead of the "Quality Brushed Aluminium" finish as described and the end caps are plastic unlike the aluminium ones in the picture. I've been onto the Von Haus website and the version I have does not appear there so I'm completely confused where Designer Habitat have sourced this from. My problem now is that I have to return this unit to Designer Habitat who will not send a replacement until they receive this one back. I have asked if the mounting for the 'correct' one is the same but they won't answer the question until this one is sent back. Looking closely at the unit in the picture on the Amazon page, the screw holes are different so it looks like I have a choice to remove the fixings and wreck the wall then drill 4 more holes - or bodge the one I've got and cut holes in the end caps.
review image review image review image
on 13 July 2012
As a home entertainment enthusiast I recently had two mounted tv's installed, one in the bedroom and one in the living room. However this left me with various systems, such as my games consoles, speakers and vhs player (old school I know) lying around on the floor.

After getting tired of tangled wires and the general mess I ordered two of these products, at the price I thought I may as well give them a go.

I had no problems with the set up (a 3mm worked fine for me), and they look and feel sturdy, easily carrying the weight of the devices I have placed on them.

All in all, for the price I paid, I can't really fault the product. And I am no longer tripping over loose cables in the night.
on 29 December 2015
The first thing is that the product looks really good when wall mounted, and takes a good deal of weight. The TV is mounted on a bracket above this unit - I had a new electric socket installed 5 ft up the wall in order to plug that in and hide the TV power cable. I bought this to house Sky + box, a Slingbox (these 2 are on the top shelf), a DVD recorder and USB drive on middle shelf and blu ray player on the bottom shelf. I am very happy with the look and quality of the product - as other reviewers have noted it looks a lot more expensive.

So why not 5 stars? I really want to give it 4.5 but can't . The reason for the deduction - well it was a nightmare to organise the cables in order to keep them hidden (which was the whole point of buying it) . Granted there are a lot of cables - with the DVD recorder also being connected to the Sky + box in addition to everything being connected to the TV, but if we hadn't followed another reviewer's recommendation, and put the devices on the shelves in order to work out which cables need to go where, and then threaded all the cables through the various holes before attaching it to the wall then it simply wouldn't have worked.

As it was - scart cables are especially difficult to fit through the holes - use HDMI cables wherever you can as they are a lot easier to thread through. It may be technically possible to install it on your own, but it's a lot easier with 2 people and spending an extra few minutes deciding what device is going on what shelf, and planning the layout of the cables before you start drilling holes really does make the job easier. (And having less gadgets but I like my gadgets!)

If the holes were just 1 cm larger then this would have been a 5 star review.