5.0 out of 5 stars HIIT is a HIT
High Intensity Interval Training by James Driver is a Highly Informative Text and worth reading.

Published 14 months ago by J. Hotowka

3.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the first third then read
Published 5 months ago by Iain Rutherford

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars HIIT is a HIT, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training Explained (Kindle Edition)

I lost 7 stone weight mainly through diet and not exercise. When I lost the weight I started looking at my fitness and from time to time we need to vary our exercise regieme for optimum fitness and this book was reccommended to me by a friend. I'm glad he did.

For me, I didn't need to know the science behind why HIIT works but it's here if you need convincing. I liked the way the book informed what needed to be done, how to do it and the various ways of doing it so even a novice like me could understand and take action.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Motivating, 30 Oct 2013
G. Chaney "Nottsinger" (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
If a book is judged by whether it causes the reader to change the way he or she thinks and subsequently acts, this book fully deserves this 5 star rating.

My interest in HIIT started when I saw Michael Moseley's Horizon programme on the subject. However, the advice given by my local gym didn't work for me and I soon stopped using the system. This book came at just the right time, it is the perfect length and with the level of background science it has motivated me to include HIIT in my programme.

The first few sessions were very painful but because the book had prepared me for that I kept going. I can already feel the benefit and I look forward to the challenge of my HIIT sessions.

James Driver explains how HIIT is a system that can be used by anybody because whatever your fitness level you have your own personal maximum effort.

I am now reading Gretchen Reynolds "The First 20 Minutes" which is the perfect follow up text.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the first third then read, 11 Nov 2013
I'm currently studying with a look to becoming a personal trainer as such I'm going through a lot of books on types and methods of physical training. Being a distance runner I've always been a bit skeptical of any training method that claims you can get all the physical training you need in half an hour, so I decided to read a book that would give me an insight into the types of training and give me some ideas for it. I bought this book on the kindle as it was very cheap and seemed in line with what I was looking for.

This book is very short, despite that, however about 10% of the way into the book I almost came close to putting it down and never picking it up again. The book is badly written and the initial parts of the book read more like anti continuous training (CT) propaganda rather than an introduction to HIIT. The means of referencing actually started to wind me up as it was impossible to follow the methodology applied with reference 10 being stated before reference 8 and so on. Some of the claims that are made in order to justify the authors love of HIIT and discrediting of CT are just not true (statement about calories consumed relating to fat burning, the point of the statement is that a smaller percentage of a larger number is always going to be greater than a larger percentage of a smaller number, clearly not the case 20% of 200 is not larger than 50% of 100) this combined with the occasional meaningless graph that has no legend and no values on the axis grated on me. Finally the obscene overuse of exclamation marks made me feel like I was reading fan fiction rather than a serious book on an introduction to a type of training.

All of that said, the book had massive turn around after the first 33%. At this stage the author starts to talk about HIIT, the means to doing sessions, rough programs and lay out of sessions. The means and ways that you can actually apply HIIT. It suddenly became a very good read, well laid out and discussed, even the exclamation marks died down to acceptable levels, it was almost as if a different author had taken over. That part of the book is well worth reading and actually bumped the score up to 3 stars, if the initial part of the book hadn't existed I would probably have given if it 4 to 5 stars. I'm now using the training and feel it is beneficial, this book has given me a great insight into the means to incorporating HIIT sessions into my training and in time I'm sure I'll be able to use it for other peoples training.

As my title says, just ignore the first third of the book, then read, you'll get a lot more from it and be less likely to get annoyed with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 4 Feb 2013
Proof it were needed that it's straight forward and simple to get fit. But no one said it would be painless! A great book with the facts set out in a plain and simple manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Evolutionary Sense, 5 Jun 2013
I was impressed by how this book presented its case for HIIT by citing evolution as well as scientific studies. It was all presented in a thorough and easy to understand manner.

As a personal trainer with a degree in a related field, I can vouch for the effectiveness of the training methods within this book.

Recommended for all skill and knowledge levels. 5 star.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't knock it, Try it, 10 Feb 2013
An easy read and true to the point, used this method a lot, and yes it works, give it a go and notice the difference

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Introduction to High Intensity Interval Training, 15 Nov 2012
A very good book. Easy to read and understand HIIT but in a further edition more about Fartlek, please and some information regarding higher risk of injuries in HIIT / Fartlek compared to CT and prevention of injuries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this!, 29 Aug 2012
This book explains the principles of HIIT in a really clear way and I am definitely going to change my training routine as a result of this. I bought the kindle edition and it is a short rad but well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing book!!!, 31 Dec 2013
I regret keeping this book on my Kindle for so long before reading it as it's completely changed my perspective on fitness. Of all the fitness books I've read this is the only one I've felt compelled to review as it's the only one that has actually succeeded in changing my habits.

I've gone from 45 minutes of treadmill running or cycling 4 or 5 times a week to only 3 sessions each about 25 minutes long. But more importantly - the results have been incredibly noticeable in only a few weeks and I'm only just getting started with HIIT.

The book is a fun and easy read and you can modify the advice inside to suit all exercise tastes whether running, cycling, swimming or freebody exercises. The author goes into detail about the advantages of changing which types of exercises you do - in order to prolong exercise longevity and gain even better results.

Most importantly of all, the book talks about HIIT nutrition in an easy to understand way and how most people are probably getting this wrong. This alone makes this an extremely important book.

Finally, the author quite bravely takes a stand against traditional cardio training by using scientific studies to show the differences between time consuming steady state cardio and HIIT. The results will shock and surprise. He explains why, despite HIIT proving superior, we continue to exercise for longer periods, largely wasting our time when we could be doing HIIT.

After only a few weeks of trying the advice out in this book for myself - I'm thoroughly convinced. 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Most impressed!, 8 May 2012
I currently train using these methods and just HAD to get this ebook. I'm glad I did and can thoroughly recommend you do the same. It's all about being consistent and applying the techniques regularly. Using HIIT techniques Ive actually lost 3 stones in weight in under 2 months as mad as it seems - I certainly burnt a few calories!

Add in some weight lifting and you are going to get toned and looking pretty sexy at the same time :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›