4.0 out of 5 stars What's in the fridge/cupboard today?
Published 18 months ago by Marand

2.0 out of 5 stars Too easy, too simple
Published 19 months ago by red

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars What's in the fridge/cupboard today?, 8 Oct 2012
Marand (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think it would be fair to say that this isn't the most innovative cookbook around, and there are recipes which are variations on a well-known or commonplace dish. The layout is good, separated into chapters based on a key ingredient (e.g. chicken, steak, rice potatoes, beans, cheese, etc) which makes it easy to pick up something in the shop, like a pork chop or chicken breast, and then make it a bit more interesting. Frequently, once you have the fresh ingredients - meat, fish or veg - the recipe uses store cupboard items. Although the recipes are simple to prepare, you do need to watch the overall timings. Whilst some recipes could be on the table within thirty minutes, others involve reasonably lengthy prep and cooking times.

I think the book may encourage people to vary a standard recipe with different ingredients or flavourings or even to try something new. For example, there is a baked potato & coleslaw recipe - hardly revolutionary - but in this case the coleslaw is based on kohlrabi. I happened to see some in my local farmshop, never having tried it before, inspired to do so by reading the book. I have also tried the preceding recipe for potato, courgette & mozzarella fritters (very more-ish and will become a staple in our house).

On the day the book arrived, I had a pork chop in the fridge for my husband, and some leftover sour cream. Flicking through the book I came across a recipe for braised chops with leek & mustard and gave it a go. My husband certainly enjoyed his meal and it required little or no effort. Another recipe I tried did require a longer prep/cooking time: this was a chick pea, tomato & spinach cottage pie. Apart from the fact that there was too much mash for the topping, this was a lovely recipe - I had reservations about teaming chickpeas and mash but it was fine, nicely spiced with ras al hanout. Another recipe I can recommend is paprika & coriander roasted chicken (the recipe called for chicken legs but I only had chicken thighs which worked fine). The method is simple and although the preparation and cooking take over an hour the involvement of the cook is minimal as for half the time the chicken is sitting in a marinade that takes about thirty seconds to prepare, and the rest of the time it is in the oven. Finally, there is a really nice white bean soup which is quick and easy which I made entirely from store cupboard/freezer.

Whilst this isn't a book to set the culinary world alight, I have found plenty of recipes to try - next up a shortcrust cheese tart, Indian spiced potatoes with fried egg, fontina tartiflette and cinnamon chocolate mousse!

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeping it simple, 21 Nov 2012
Andrew Langdon (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the second Bill Granger cookbook that I own (the other being the excellent Bill's Basics) and it has quickly found it's place as a favourite in my kitchen. It's as beautifully presented as you'd imagine a Granger cookbook to be, and whilst some reviewers have given it negative reviews due to the recipes simplicity, for me there is place for 'Easy'. I don't always want to slave away in the kitchen for hours on end to produce great food, sometimes I need to cook something that is ready to eat in a sort time, or something that can be quickly assembled and left in the oven for a couple of hours allowing me to get on with other important things. It is on these occasions when 'Easy' makes perfect sense, and it is for that simple reason that I highly recommend Granger's latest book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully presented & easy to follow, offering up 95 'everyday' recipes, 7 Oct 2012
Chris Hall "DLS Reviews" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Length:: 2:43 Mins

[]Australian chef and restaurateur, Bill Granger, has become somewhat of a household name over the years, most notably due to his television series 'Bill's Food' and his appearances on the likes of GMTV etc. With nine books already under his belt, Granger's tenth cookbook to hit the (highly competitive) shelves is entitled 'Easy'. The book was first published in August of 2012.

Like with his previous cookbooks, this latest endeavour is based around a particular idea - this one being simple, laidback and easy recipes. To quote the book's objective "Bill offers 100 fantastically mid-week-achievable dishes". Fair do's - it's a cookbook that would therefore probably appeal to most people. So how did it fair up with this goal?

Firstly, the book is split into sixteen chapters, each dealing with a particular predominant ingredient. These are:

Piece of Chicken - 18 pages (7 recipes)
Fillet of Fish - 16 pages (7 recipes)
Slab of Steak - 16 pages (6 recipes)
Leg of Lamb - 16 pages (6 recipes)
Pork Chop - 16 pages (5 recipes)
Mince & Sausages - 16 pages (6 recipes)
Pack of Pasta - 14 pages (6 recipes)
Bag of Rice - 16 pages (6 recipes)
Handful of Grains - 14 pages (6 recipes)
Sack of Potatoes - 14 pages (6 recipes)
Tin of Beans - 16 pages (7 recipes)
Slice of Cheese - 14 pages (6 recipes)
Carton of Eggs - 14 pages (6 recipes)
Apples & Pears - 14 pages (5 recipes)
Punnet of Berries - 12 pages (5 recipes)
Block of Chocolate - 14 pages (5 recipes)

Each chapter is presented awash with full-page colour shots of the dishes and related photographs chosen to make the overall presentation of the book look good. Indeed, along with the full-page photos, there's a feeling of contemporary minimalism in the presentation. It's certainly not a case of 'cram in as many recipes as you can'. Instead, the book slots in the recipes between bold and (quite frankly) immensely appetising shots of food, food and more food. So much so, that the cookbook starts to edge ever-so-slightly towards that of a coffee-table book rather than an all-out practical cookbook.

The recipes themselves are mostly straight-forward, more often than not utilising basic ingredients that you're likely to have in your fridge and cupboards. Along with having everyday ingredients for everyday dishes, the (relative) simplicity of the cooking and preparation fits in perfectly with the book's general brief.

Moreover, Granger doesn't faff around with overly colourful directions for preparing the dishes. Instead he goes for simple and easy to follow instructions, keeping it straight-forward and hassle free. Preparation and cooking time (from start to finish) for the dishes is generally around the 25 minutes to an hour mark. There are a few quicker to make dishes (such as with the 'Couscous With Feta and Cumin' recipe)as well as a number which take quite a bit longer (such as the 'Slow Roasted Lamb Leg & Chilli Relish'). But most appear to be around this length of preparation time.

We've tried out a few of the recipes so far and can strongly recommend the 'Chilli, Sausage and Broccoli Pizza' (which we added pepperoni to!), the 'Taleggio and Pancetta Baked Pasta', and the 'Tandoori Fish & Cucumber Tomato Salad'.

All in all we're really happy with the recipes offered along with the overall delivery of them. Presentation wise the book is absolutely spot on. It looks good, the dishes look mouth-wateringly appetising, and the general 'everyday' brief of the book works well for us. Pretty much all the dishes serve four people (some say 4-6), although from the few recipes we've tried out, these aren't exactly goliath portions it must be said! But then I do like big portions...

We also recommend Bill Granger's previous book 'Bill's Basics' (2010), which my wife uses and refers to all the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy, tasty and fun, 3 Mar 2013
josie82 (Fife, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Of all the cookbooks I own, Bill Granger's are becoming a fast favourite. This latest offering is no exception. Anything that gives you tasty meals, quickly and easily, is a winner for me. Alongside the recipes, Bill's relaxed style makes you feel like you can accomplish any of the dishes and more.

This particular book contains 100 simple recipes - perfect for tasty, achievable teas and dinners. It's split into 16 different chapters, each concentrating on a different ingredient with recipes for that item. The ingredients/chapters are: Piece of chicken, Fillet of fish, Slab of steak, Leg of lamb, Pork chop, Mince and sausages, Pack of pasta, Bag of rice, Handful of grains, Sack of potatoes, Tin of beans, Slice of cheese, Carton of eggs, Apples and pears, Punnet of berries and Block of chocolate. I really like this approach to a cookery book as more often than not, I have the ingredients and want something to make with them.

The recipes themselves contain a great mixture of everything from the traditional to the fancy. Having said that, even the fancy dishes are presented in such a way that they don't seem too difficult to make and actually make you want to step out of your comfort zone and try something new. There's everything from omlettes, baked potatoes, meatballs and chocolate cake through to baked aubergine, quinoa fritters and gnocchi goulash. A really good mix.

Most of the recipes have a picture - a plus from me - although not always on the same page as the recipe. The recipes themselves have a clear ingredient list and clear instructions and without much of the waffle that's common in some cookbooks.

Overall, I feel this is a really nice cookbook and one that I can recommend. While I don't like it as much as Bill's previous books, it's still a great buy. 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, creative and simple dishes!, 15 Nov 2012
This review is from: Bill Granger Easy (Hardcover)
I was bought this book by a friend, and it has been my cooking bible ever since! Bill has created a vast selection of tasty and simple meals- my particular favourite is the spanish tortilla. I love the layout, and how the book is divided into sections, based upon produce, for quick reference and creative ideas. The photography is inviting, providing a realistic expectation of the final product. It stands out amongst many celebrity cook books, and I would definitely recommend this to a friend. Yum!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical and helpful mid week ideas - easy ish but I still managed to mess some up, 28 Sep 2012
Ripple (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was very much looking forward to this latest offering by Bill Granger - who is sort of the Aussie equivalent of Nigel Slater. In fact, the book is laid out in a highly practical way based around a core ingredient - say a fillet of fish, a pork chop, some chicken, a tin of beans, pasta etc. Then he uses mainly cupboard store products to whip up easy meals that work well for a weekday night. It's fair to say that the recipes are not the most innovative, but the focus of the book is in the title - it's a useful weekday resource for inspiration rather than a show off diner party collection. I have to say that my first attempt at one of the recipes was though an unmitigated disaster. The fish tandoori looked appealing in the photo (there are the usual pile of sumptuous images that pad out every self-respecting recipe book but most are of the dishes rather than random images that many adopt), but my effort was an inedible version that looked very little like the image - it was more lurid pink than golden brown for a start. Partly this may be down to "operator error" but they are clearly not fool proof! Even taking everything into account, the stated grill time (3-4 minutes) seemed modest and even at the upper end of this range, I had to shove it back under to avoid eating sashimi.

This may have been an unlucky start though - my next couple of efforts (chilli chicken, baked aubergine, chickpeas and chilli) were much more edible and pretty tasty. There were no bizarre ingredients and the end results were well worth repeating. There are some vegi recipes - pretty much all tastes are catered for albeit if you want say vegi recipes, you won't get that many for your money.

All celeb cooks (technically, like Slater and Nigella, Bill is a writer rather than chef) seem to need a "thing" - Nigella waxes lyrical about the sensuousness of the ingredients, Jaimie shoves mitfulls of herbs at everything etc. As for Bill? He does like a marinade. These are not the annoying "oh, I fancy that - oh, you have to leave it in the fridge overnight" ones - more an average of 15 minutes. More often than not, you can get on with some other part of the dish while this is happening, but don't equate "easy" with "instant".

It is a practical and useful addition to the recipe book library - it's well organized and laid out and they don't require huge culinary skills - it's just that I still hold it responsible for one particularly revolting dish and, while in normal instances I'd say that a book cannot be held responsible for my incompetence - it does rather suggest that results are not quite as easy as promised! It is great for mid week inspiration though.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too easy, too simple, 9 Sep 2012
This review is from: Bill Granger Easy (Hardcover)
Let me first say that I am a huge Bill Granger fan. I have 5 other books of his and they provide the basis of nearly of all of our evening meals. Maybe the title 'Easy' should have given me the heads up, but I bought it anyway, keen to expand my Granger repertoire, eager to start cooking from it straight away. Alas it is not to be. I may even give it away. Nothing really jumps out at me. It is a very 'pretty book', with copious photographs, not a bad thing, although they have managed to stretch 100 recipes (none of which take up more than one page) to cover 256 pages. Thankfully the majority of the photos are of the food themselves this time, rather than Bill, although there are still a substantial amount that are just for decoration rather than of the food.

The premise of the book is 'cook something delicious but easy' and is split Into the following chapters, each of which contains only six or 7 recipes

Piece of chicken
Caron of eggs
Apples and pears
Punned of berries
Block of chocolate

Examples of the recipes are roast chicken salad with chive mayonnaise. Something called chilli chicken with skordalia, which we are then told 'ok, you've spotted it, this is really chicken and mash', later on we are given a recipe for a jacket potato - the slant being that rather than serving it with normal coleslaw, it has kohlrabi 'slaw instead, and on we go to salmon with potato salad, then a dish he says is nothing more than macaroni cheese but is called 'taleggio and pancetta baked pasta', and a lasagne that is just lasagne sheets layered with ricotta cheese.

Maybe this book is aimed at getting people into the kitchen rather than grabbing a takeaway or a ready meal. It certainly isn't exciting or representative of his previous books that I have. What I have always liked about his recipes is that they gave maximum flavour, without taking hours to cook, do even after a long day at work I could cook a good healthy meal in a reasonable amount of time - always less than an hour from prep to serving. This seems to have stripped things back too far, which is a real shame.

Next time Bill releases a book I will make sure I check it out 'in the flesh' rather than pre-order it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good and well presented recipe book., 6 Oct 2012
Uenna (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the 2nd recipe book from Bill Granger that I have read and used courtesy of Amazon vine. The book is hardback and well written with pictorial illustrations of the various recipes, about 100 of them. Some of the recipes we know already but they are all presented with a freshness and variation that makes it easy and simple for everyday cooking. I read recipe books to get ideas and discover new recipes and this book fulfilled both purposes for me. The best part is the practical tips he adds at the start of each recipe and such tips come from his varied experiences in the cooking field. I value his down to earth approach and his simplicity in creating something that appeals to a wide range of people irrespective of their cultural background. I like this book and I heartily recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars EASY COOKBOOK, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Bill Granger Easy (Hardcover)
Have previously purchased two EASY cookbooks as gifts. 0ne for my brother - a chef - uses it all the time. Great gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Bill Granger Easy (Hardcover)
Love this book - easy to find ingredients, easy to cook and great recipes! Worth it for the pictures alone...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›