4.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing value at around 40 but is for nerds
I use this is a sort of wireless NAS and it works a treat. I have a 1 GB external hard drive plugged in. I had long considered the Apple AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule, but it has been prohibitively expensive.
Published 15 months ago by J. Murdoch

3.0 out of 5 stars LOOKS GOOD BUT UNSTABLE WITH iOS6 DEVICES
I would agree with some other reviews that this router has frustrated me. Yes, it's packed with features and flexibility but it is not set up correctly to use in the UK and is a bit fiddly to set up and get going.

However once set up it seemd to be working fine and speeds were enhanced there is no doubt about that, but the moment
two tablets were added to...
Published 15 months ago by R. G. Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars LOOKS GOOD BUT UNSTABLE WITH iOS6 DEVICES, 28 Jan 2013
R. G. Williams "raywilliams12" (Cheshire, England , UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TP-Link TL-WR1042ND 300Mbps Wireless N Gigabit CABLE Router (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

two tablets were added to the home network (Nexus 7 and iPad Mini) not one device on the home network will hold a reliable wireless signal. That is all devices - great (not)!

Reply from TP-Link suggests the problem is known for iOS6/1 software and that it won't "integrate" into the wireless networks with other devices.

For me this is a major flaw if you want serial devices to be connected.

Back to my old router I'm afraid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing value at around 40 but is for nerds, 22 Jan 2013
J. Murdoch (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good router, 21 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The product was easy to assemble and put together. The parts were clear as to where they all went. The instructions were clear and it was set up quickly. I like the fact it has a wireless on and off button as it means you can control if wireless is enabled in the house (important with kids!). The setup CD worked fine and within about half an hour the laptop and Xbox were connected via wireless. The connection speed was not as quick as the box said, but it rarely is on devices like this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine for the Price, 21 Feb 2013
Mr. Philip Harkins "If in doubt, Smile! :-)" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Does what it says! I have also got older things attached to the network and this seems fine, I have had to change my old network Ethernet hub (cable, obviously!) as I still have some non wireless things. This has been fine with both apple and windows machines, I use windows laptop, iMac, iPhone and iPad, although have not updated to ios6.1 which has apparently caused some signal issues so do explore some of the forums at apple and tplink to check if they have updated the fix. Signal is not the best but fine for the price and I already use a plug in wireless booster so it probably masks the range.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great..., 17 Feb 2013
Fireball Dragon (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was pretty excited about this router, as I was hoping to replace my BT home-hub (fibre optic), which causes some 'dead-spots' in my house.

I must confess, I am no expert with networking computers. However, this was quite easy to set-up. It connected nicely with my open-reach box and I could get online.

However, I noticed that signal is far inferior to the router supplied by BT. Even whilst being only a few metres away, connections would drop and downloads were painstakingly slow.

On the plus side of things, it is well built and looks fairly nice. It also has LED lights on the front, showing connection information.

In the end, I have reconnected my BT router, until I can find a suitable alternative. This router may work for some, but not in my case. 3/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Superb, 21 Jan 2013
Mr. Stephen Redman (York England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This excellent piece of kit is a great step forward in modern routers. Aimed at people who have CABLE access to the internet (rather than ADSL, or Virgin rather than BT)this router plugs in the the cable connection and goes! It is profoundly easy to set up, it offers fast access and has great range. The combination of "N Type" transmission (currently the best type available) and MIMO radio means that the signal goes further. If you have had a difficulty reaching the top bedroom or an awkward part of the home, this router will suddenly make a difference to you - if it won't, then nothing will work!

My need was for a router that would work in a building with a lot of steel and this works a dream!
In addition it has a USB socket which can be used to set up a server with - so the router can be used to store data that you can access on line - a great move.

This is truly a great value for money product that offers all you can need and more for a tiny price. 6 Stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars good product, 13 Jun 2013
the only complain i have about this router is regarding the software and the lack of https protocol. I have an older version of tp-link that works well for the last 3 years, but it lacks the https. I was hopping that on a new version I would have it, but it's not available.

Other than that, everything is quite perfect :). Wifi is working nice, lan also. The usb in port is a beauty. I have external hard drives and usb sticks that go in and I can use the ftp future to access them from my laptop and even from my android phone.

It has some software improvements also on the admin menu.

Overall a very good router.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fully-featured at entry-level price, 21 May 2013
Tom Douglas (Marlow) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an excellent router which is fast and reliable and as a bonus will give you network storage capabilities - so an external hard drive can sit on the network and be shared by all users.

Which is probably only useful for 10% of people.

Then again, this router is worth its 40 just for its regular router functionality. Up and running in minutes and absolutely no problems since.

Five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 16 May 2013
Alex Sumner "AS" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I use this router in conjunction with a TP-Link TD-8817 ADSL2+ Ethernet/USB Modem Router for Phone Line Connections to give me Wi-Fi throughout my flat. I am pleased to say that it was simple to install, and worked straight out of the box. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good entry-level router, 15 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly, this is a CABLE router; if you have an ADSL connection, then this will need to be plugged into an ADSL modem. I personally used this plugged into my ten year old ADSL BT wired-only router, giving it wireless capability. Installation was less than five minutes, everything was automatic, just had to visit a webpage, enter code, everything worked straight away. I've set it to maximum security, and the speed is close to what I had get from using the wired network - about 80% when using Speedtest. It works with our iPad, iPhone, android tabs and laptops. The only problem encountered is a freeze that happens every few weeks, where the router stops sending any data. Turn it on and off again, and it works like new. This might be because the router is turned on 24hrs a day which might not be normal (it's low wattage so power cost isn't an issue), or it could be some dodgy wiring in the house knocking it into standby mode.

So, it's fast, has very good security features, works with everything I tried, and was easy to install. Pretty good.

ARRAY(0xb1d0e240)