I really love this game and both myself and my husband agree that its the most enjoyable mmo we've played in years (and we've tried most of the popular ones)

Positives:

The characters and dialogues are interesting and the quests are really immersive.
Crafting is useful and you can do all the crafts if you wish you are not just stuck doing only...
Published 1 month ago by K. L. Sanderson

2.0 out of 5 stars Review after the first four weeks
Rather than write a review, I'm going to share with you the feedback I gave Zenimax / Bethesda when explaining why I wasn't going to resubscribe to the game. I hope you find it useful.

Hi,

Published 3 months ago by Davey Diablo

2.0 out of 5 stars Review after the first four weeks, 29 April 2014

Hi,

I really like some aspects of this game. The story, voice acting and music are fantastic. Also, I've really enjoyed the humour in this game, which is very unusual for an MMO.

It is because I enjoyed the above that I'm spending the time to let you know why my partner and I (and most probably all our friends who are on the fence and have not yet bought TESO) will not be subbing to this game.

This game was clearly released too early. I have played beta products with better stability, less bugs and more polish.

Having graphical errors like that red and white 'missing' cube in basement levels, or the inn (in Daggerfall, I believe) having it's doorway not clip correctly with the wall should not have been acceptable. Especially, considering I saw both of these bugs within the first hour of gameplay.

Combat is unresponsive and laggy at best, making skill a non-factor. Even worse, is the fact that my combat abilities will sometimes STOP WORKING COMPLETELY. I'm unsure if it's because EU servers are based in US (why?!) or if it's an issue with NB's. Either way, the question has to be asked; "How on Earth did ESO get released in this condition?"

Limited UI features FORCE players to use addons. I'm not talking about recount-style parsers and advances features here. Simple loot management features are absent as well as basic options.

I mentioned how much I was enjoying the story, and I stand by that, but the lack in available activities whilst levelling can become pretty tiresome. I've made it to level 34, and my desire to play the game, particularly as I'm not resubbing, has greatly diminished.

The bots, gold-spammers and the awkward way of reporting them should have been much better thought out, before launch.

Craft nodes also disappear in front of my eyes, and although I know that there are invisible bots teleporting around, gathering materials, I suspect that this is yet another bug.

Tool-tips and stats are often incorrect or do not apply correctly.

I often need to /camp, and relog, in order to see the NPC I'm meant to fight or talk to.

During development, I was really keen to hear of your idea where your mega-server phase was created based on your friends list, guilds, and gameplay preferences (such as role-playing). Instead, at launch, we get an EU server that is not only based in the US, but isn't even separated by language. I'm sure I'm not the only person in the world who feels that seeing zone chat full of a language that he/she can't understand to be alienating. Between this and the gold-sellers, I keep zone chat turned off. I'm in an MMO; I want my zone chat on!

The fact that I can buy a horse with real money, yet the prices for a horse in-game are relatively steep, gives me a bad impression of what will become available in the future. The mounts are not cosmetic, they give the player an advantage. Considering this is a sub-based game, I find that a little hard to swallow.

In summary, I feel as though I've paid a AAA price for a broken beta of a game that I can only play for 30 days. Does this seem fair to you?

I feel you had a good opportunity here to bring back the sub-based model with a quality product, but instead, you've probably put the final nail in it's coffin.

A real shame.

Thanks for reading guys.

Davey

UPDATE: The console version has been delayed for 6 months to give players "the experience [they] expect and deserve." Says it all really...

3.0 out of 5 stars As an MMO, it's great. As an Elder Scrolls game.. It's lacking., 8 April 2014
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls Online (PC) (CD-ROM)
There are two ways that someone can approach this game, either as an MMO or as an entry in the elder scrolls catalogue. In the end it depends on where you want the emphasis to lay as to whether or not you will enjoy this. If you are more interested in the MMO side then you will no doubt like this game, however if you wanted another Elder Scrolls game, with MMO elements thrown in, then you could feel a little disappointed with what you find.

As an MMO, the Elder Scrolls Online provides a new and refreshing approach to the generic feel that most MMOs seem to fall into. The game tries to curtail the monotony usually seen in MMOs by avoiding the typical kill x of y, or collect x of y style quests that dominate other MMOs, and does it rather successfully. The quest lines you follow are interesting and different so it rarely feels like you are simply repeating the same quest in a slightly different form. Most significantly however is the level of immersion within the game. The world itself is beautifully designed and detailed, capturing the essence of Tamriel brilliantly, and it is not just the world which is fully developed in this sense but its inhabitants too. All of the dialogue is voiced and as a result all of the characters you interact with feel more distinct which makes for a much more immersive experience. Overall as an MMO, Elder Scrolls provides an excellent experience.

If however you come into the game hoping for an Elder Scrolls experience but with multiplayer elements then you will likely be disappointed. In the end trying to balance the freedom of an elder scrolls game with the restrictions that a MMO imposes is a difficult task, and it is clear that sacrifices were made to ensure that as an MMO the game is successful. Being traded as an Elder Scrolls game means that there is a level of expectation that the game will have a certain style and feel. The problem here is that the defining feature of the Elder Scrolls is the freedom bestowed within the game, it is the feel that you are actually a part of a world. That you are free to roam wherever, and act however. These were always going to be difficult concepts to apply to a MMO, and this is where the game falls down.

The free roaming elements that capture the Elder Scrolls games at their best are severely stifled. Here in traditional MMO fashion you are restricted to only being able to roam around a single zone initially, for if you stray too far from your start then the enemies that you will encounter will grossly outmatch you. This means that you are required to level in a certain area until other places become accessible, and when you do move on, the zones that you have been in become obsolete. Furthermore the drive behind your actions will not be on exploring, but on questing. Whereas in games like skyrim it was possible to head off into the wilderness on your own and come across isolated quests and random events, this is something that is more or less none existent in the Elder Scrolls Online. Instead this experience has been traded for a more linear, and perhaps more understandable pathway for character development. You complete all the quests in a location and are then sent to the next hub, occasionally picking up a couple of quests whilst out and about.

The ability to interact with the world around you is also a key theme within the Elder Scrolls games, and unfortunately it is severely limited within the Elder Scrolls Online. Usually it is possible to enter shops and steal from them, pickpocket those around you, attack npcs, etc, all at your own discretion. All of this is non-existent in the Elder Scrolls Online, which is reasonably understandable for the game to work as an MMO. You still have decisions that you can make during quests where you can guide the morality of your character in the direction that you would like, but this is solely reactive. Furthermore little things which are taken for granted within other Elder Scrolls games are simply lost here. For example often in the game you will pass many weapon racks with weapons in, yet have no ability to pick anything up. In the same way killing an archer will not yield you with a bow, despite the obvious fact that were clearly using one. In the end it is these elements that leave you with the impression that you are not necessarily an equal part of the world but rather a pawn reacting to whatever is going on. Your movements are guided more often than not by a linear pathway, and your actions are stifled so as to be purely reactive and therefore rather inconsequential.

In the end whether you will enjoy this game comes down to one thing, why you are playing it in the first place. If you wanted to play a new MMO with elements of the Elder Scrolls woven in then you will find this to be a perfectly good, and in many ways superiorly designed MMO to the typical ones out there. If however you wanted the emphasis to be on the Elder Scrolls and not the MMO, then you could well be disappointed with the difference in feel when compared to the single player games.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you enjoy crafting, questing, and wandering about finding stuff this may be the game for you., 12 Jun 2014

Positives:

Crafting is useful and you can do all the crafts if you wish you are not just stuck doing only 2
Its fun to explore areas and find new quests, items, skyshards, lorebooks, bosses etc
Combat is actually fun as it involves a lot more moving about and choosing which skills to use.

If you want a sorceror wearing heavy armour who can heal, damage and has pets then you can do - you can wear what you want and play as you want - obviously there are some optimal roles which if you are interested in high end group stuff you may need to use while grouped - but for solo and casual play you can spec however you want and just have fun.

Why I believe this game has been slated by some players:

All complaints from other players mainly fall into the "THIS IS NOT A WOW CLONE" category which if you find this refreshing as I do - you will probably love this game.

This game is about the journey - there are a huge amount of quests and things to do for a newly published game while you are leveling - but for players that want to reach max level in 2 days so they can stop leveling - obtain their legendary armor and spend their time raiding or pvping - this is not the bias the game has at the moment. It may come later but for now the journey is key.

This game is about being immersed in the area and actually watching the screen and whats going on around you - rather than watching your 10 rows of skill bars without looking up to see whats happening in the vicinity.
You basically have 5 skills and 1 ultimate - which is doubled at lvl 15 as you can then swap weapons - not 50 spells on a screen at once. This makes the game more tactical as you decide how you are going to play that particular fight and put them on your bar - a different fight may need that to be adjusted - so on the one hand you can learn to do far more things than most mmo's but on the other you have to choose from all the options what you will use - and that is fluid. This is a major pro for me but again many are so used to the traditional they are not happy with a different approach.

Following on from the "look at whats round you" is the fact that again this game is not staring at skill bars and numbers flashing on your screen in combat - you want to know when to get out the way - watch the character that is throwing stuff at you - there are no add ons telling you when to run dodge etc - basically if its red don't stand in it - and move move move - again I love it but some players want the traditional tank stands and keeps all the adds in one place - and everyone else stands there and dpses it - this is not the way ESO works - everyone is responsible for crowd control and everyone moves keeping the fights more fluid.

There is also no Auction house - which again for me is a plus as players can't just buy everything and it gets you involved more with your guilds - you can have 5 - hopefully there will be more buying options with the guild shops working better but I have not found the lack a drawback as I'm in an alliance where we help everyone out with items anyway - so if someone needs crafter gear or a recipe there is a good chance someone else can make it or its been donated for use.

If you are into PVP there is a great area where you can do PVP and PVE quest dailies - again I really like this area but for players that only want to PVP there have been some issues.

1 - Although in theory the area will level you up if you go in at level 10 - in reality chances are you will get squished very easily.

2 - At the moment the campaigned have been for too long and there are too many pvp areas as only vets tend to use them these days due to point 1. This means they are fairly empty of players as many are still leveling and don't want to go in too early.

ESO is trying to sort this by changing the system to have shorter campaigns and separate the veteran and normal players in some campaigns - but until then its a great chance for players that are more PVE inclined to explore the area without having lots and lots of enemies to fight - but still gives that extra adrenaline kick when you do do some PVP.

So - yes this game has some bugs as all new games do - perhaps I was fortunate but relogging solved most of my issues and it certainly wasn't game breaking for me. And yes this game does have a bot problem - but thankfully as there is no auction house their effects are minimal - or have been for me.

So for casual players and explorers its great in my opinion - for hardcore traditional MMO players I'd suggest forgetting the "traditional" way of doing things and giving this game a chance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not ready for release., 16 May 2014
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls Online (PC) (CD-ROM)
This game COULD be wonderful. However, at the present time (a month after release), it is full of bugs which really should have been sorted out before now. It is also overrun with bots and goldspamming. Support are unresponsive to bug reports.

For a game which cost 35 when released, and 8.99/month subscription THIS REALLY IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

The graphics are nice, and the voice-acting is excellent, but the difficulty of the quests is very variable (and randomly so), and the game is very unbalanced.

Perhaps in a few months the bugs will be ironed out, and the bot infestation dealt with. Unfortunately though, until then, AVOID.

Paying Zenimax 8.99 a month for the thankless task of effectively beta-testing their game for them is not my idea of a good time.

2.0 out of 5 stars A letdown, 6 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls Online (PC) (CD-ROM)
Having been a massive fan of The Elder Scrolls since playing Oblivion and Skyrim, I was utterly disappointed with this first attempt at a MMORPG which could have been so much more.

Positives - Well scripted, nice soundtrack.

Negatives - Slow loading time, crashed several times, graphics could be better, overly long conversations between NPCs, different keyboard mappings made it difficult for me to get the best out of the game. This game was released to early and should still be in beta testing. Definately not worth the monthly subscription.

1.0 out of 5 stars BIGGEST DISSAPOINTMENT IN GAMING HISTORY... OR CERTAINLY LAST TWENTY YEARS, 22 July 2014
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls Online (PC) (CD-ROM)
Others have already summed it up. This game was no were near ready... Glitchy , flawed, unbalanced, to few quests, is more bot and gold spammer infested then any game i have ever played. I have fell through bridges, floors, walls more times then I can count.
I paid for this game then i paid to play it, THEN I PAID TO RIDE A HORSE AND ACTUALLY GET ANYWHERE while it was worse then most beta gaming experiences.
Avoid this game and wait for either a new on-line game by Bethesda or just stick to there single player games. They took on to much with this game and dismally failed.
Also why server in US!!!!!!! and why no AH!!!!!!
AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID

5.0 out of 5 stars Game was gift for family member, 16 May 2014
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls Online (PC) (CD-ROM)
Game was gift for family member, enjoying playing with other family members and friends. Have recommended game to others to play

3.0 out of 5 stars Elder Scrolls Online Review!, 22 April 2014
MrE (E Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls Online (PC) (CD-ROM)
Please read my review first and you will understand why i only gave it 3 stars (and that's being generous)...

I was super excited for this game, all i will say is I'm glad i used the free 30 trial period before you have to start paying per month even though you have to enter your card details beforehand. This is suppose to be Elder Scrolls online, A huge open world MMO set 1000 years before Skyrim! Yet it feels detached and sparse compared to all other Elder Scrolls games i have played. While playing the game you can only see and interact with players that are in your faction, so straight away it isn't open world as you can only interact with so many people, people in other factions can't be seen especially outside PvP. When you reach level 50 you can play in other faction areas BUT again you can only see YOUR factions players..stupid or what? Graphically the game is on a par with many other games but nothing to write home about. Audio wise the game really is impressive, perhaps the audio is the main success with an EPIC soundtrack but that doesn't make up for how the game currently is, especially when you factor in the initial outlay and then the monthly subscription. It's extremely buggy with many quests freezing midway through and you can be waiting for things to happen for hours on end, my character once glitched off the map which required a reset and indeed the game itself has crashed many times over.

Gold drops take the p***, with 1 or 2 gold being dropped for defeating enemies and when you take into account a decent horse can cost over 42,000 Gold (a standard horse costs over 17,000) you realise it's going to take you forever to get even basic things (you would think a simple horse to be just that wouldn't you?), now i know many included myself will battle it out to earn the gold but lets be frank most people won't have the patience. They've made it ridiculously time consuming just to get the basics with everything costing ridiculous amounts of gold made worse by the fact that gold drops like i said earlier are so stingy. (if you buy the collectors edition you get a horse included). The thing that really gets to me is you would think being an MMO it wouldn't be restricted yet you can't even go back and replay past quests to help a friend out and that also applies if you've started the quest and not even finished it... well i'm sorry but how crazy is that? It essentially makes it a single player game if i can't go back and play through with friends, so if you intend to play with friends i suggest you wait till they get the game otherwise you won't be able to go back and play with your existing characters.

There are other stupid things that come into play too. A friend of mine and i started a new game together and while doing a quest if there are multiple puzzles to do for example, i can't do so many and my friend do the others, WE BOTH have to do all the puzzles! Again this takes away from the whole purpose of working together and playing together which gives the feeling that the game is nothing more than a single player but with friends that can tag along (sure you can defeat enemies together but that's about it), for everything else you're on your own. Another problem is people can enter the dungeon your currently in for example and kill every monster there is which can completely ruin your strategy (if you want to go stealth that is)...these people take the money and then leave, great so that's another dungeon that's pointless completing.

Some quests are truly great and exciting yet many are the most boring quests you will ever have come across, literally, you will be moving your sleeping bag and pillow to your computer it's that bad. The Daedric City invasion which was advertised on the TV and internet with a fantastic computer generated trailer is NOTHING like what it is in the game, gone are the floods of enemies emerging from hell and instead you get a trickle of mediocre enemies to fight.

Pros: Graphically it's about par even on full settings * Sounds amazing with epic music * voice overs and character talk * certain spells are cool to use * weapons & armour aren't class restricted * siege battles (above level 10) feel like a giant mosh

Cons: Feels like a single player game in which friends can tag along and play at the same time rather than a game that promotes working together * feels very basic and sparse with too few players in your world * Gold drops are the worst I've ever seen in any game, EVER! * everything is ridiculously expensive to buy using in-game money * some quests bring a whole new meaning to the words boring and pointless * I've had quests bug out and mean i or my friend have been unable to complete them * people sit around farming off certain enemies that spawn and can spoil your experience of the game as they hog the action * Not worth the monthly subscription (even if the price was cut in half)

VERDICT: Bethesda who are behind the Elder Scrolls saga have up until this point done a good job with past outings like Skyrim which really impressed me both with the content and scope on offer. Elder Scrolls online however, is completely different and has been designed by a different studio within the Bethesda group called "Zenimax Online". To be blunt it really shows and perhaps Bethesda should have given the job to a studio that has more experience of MMOs as i understand this is their first attempt and it fails on multiple levels. I have no doubt that the game will get better over time but when it's this bad at release, it will take many patches over many months to get it to an acceptable level, the fact they have tried to screw everyone over by charging a monthly fee on top of the initial outlay is the final nail in the coffin given the state of the game.

A very poor attempt at taking a great Gaming series and turning it into an MMO, it needs at the very least another year or two in development to be anywhere near acceptable! My recommendation is to avoid this and buy Skyrim instead, if you haven't already done so.

1.0 out of 5 stars Could not login to the game 201 error, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls Online (PC) (CD-ROM)
I loaded the game dics had 16 hours of patches to down load my internets slow 200kb sec
Went to login screen and got an error message 201
Contacted game support had to repair down load, clear folders, clean boot, turn off my anit-virus/fire wall
then they wanted me to set my router settings which could not do as my Belkin router did not have this as an option for
So have a game I can not play or get my money back on because I have opened it and registed it online
Going to stick with playing World of Warcraft as never had any problems playing over the last 6 years

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this game!, 28 July 2014
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls Online (PC) (CD-ROM)
This is an amazing game! I have spent hours on it. I became so drawn in because of the awesome story line and graphics and when I was on the move I was not disappointed by the low spec graphics on my laptop because the game is just so good and addictive! I played this game during beta and have hardly stopped since! Don't um and ah just buy the game and get playing. You will not be disappointed!

The Elder Scrolls Online (PC)
The Elder Scrolls Online (PC) by Bethesda (Windows Vista / XP)
11.57