on 31 August 2012
I, like Jamie (the other reviewer) also looked around for a while to purchase a repair stand, I have found many on the market ranging from £30 to well over £100, but this one looked good enough for what I wanted... so I committed and purchased this stand. After I ordered this stand I was in the local cycle shop and happen to see one in there for £120 that looked great, very sturdy, thick and solid, I did think that when mine came it would be flimsy in comparison :-(... but to my surprise, when it came it looked just as good, if not better - quick and easy to assemble and very strong and sturdy - quick release clamps make it easy to change bike/height/position etc, the added bonus is the connector between pole and handlebars - stops the front wheel moving, not all have this. Folds away to be easily stored as well.

Overall a great piece of kit for only £40 - really impressed with this product, if you are looking to buy a repair stand then look no further - this is great value for money.

Also - quick delivery and well packaged.

Do it!!
33 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 March 2013
This product arrived broken. I'll detail the damage and how I fixed it at the end of my review. I think it's worth telling you about the damage/repair as it appears to be a flaw in the design.

If you can get past the design flaw (and I show you how to at the bottom of this review), this is a GREAT bike stand! It's very substantial, and built from powder-coated or painted steel. Parts of it might be powder-coated, but let's call it coated steel.

Assembly is a bit of a pain as there are some tight tolerances, but it all goes together simply enough. You'll need a little strength in your hands to fit everything together though. Once assenbled, it's rock solid and just about perfect. As the legs open, the top collar (where the legs all meet, if you look at the photo) slides down, eventually encountering a machined stop in the centre column, so you can't over-extend the legs. The stand in the photo doesn't have the legs open at their fullest extent, they open wider than that when at the stop and make the stand really stable.

As the tolerances between moving componants are fairly tight, there is not too much for the quick-release clamps to do, so they work very well, locking the stand at the desired height. The top arm is a little like a crane, and holds the bike securely. Note that you put the fixed half of the clamp jaws at the bottom, and the moving quick release part at the top. This ensures you just lock the bike in place with the moving jaw of quick-release clamp, not support the weight of the bike. I'm 6'4" and this stand extends to a little taller than me, so I assure you it will hold your bike as high as you need.

There's a tray with a magnetic strip provided that you can fit, which is handy.
It's a great stand and I can see me using it a lot, and it lasting for a long time.

Now, the design flaw: As I mentioned, when you open the stand legs, the top collar slides down, pulled by struts approximately in the middle of each leg, which are all attached to a flanged bottom collar by bolts. The bottom collar is made from what appears to be some sort of theromset plastic, which is hard but a little brittle. The flange on the underside of the collar stops the central column from sliding through the collar and touching the ground. The flange on my stand was broken, so this meant when I opened the legs, the both collars moved on the central column, and the result was instability. Initially I decided to just glue the flange back onto the collar, but I figured sooner or later the column would knock against the flange and just pop it off. So I glued the flange to the collar AND glued the collar to the shaft. I degreased the collar and column, as they were quite oily, then used 24 hour Araldite to glue them and gave it 3 days to ensure it was completely set. (See picture I've uploaded.) This solved the problem nicely. I suspect this stand had been assembled before and that was how the flange became broken.
My gripe is, that as the stand comes disassembled, whoever packed this stand KNEW it was broken when it was shipped. So for that customer contempt, I've dock two stars off the review score.
review image
77 comments|89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 July 2014
You can pay a lot of money for a bike workstand, and because of this I had put off getting one. I am a keen cyclist and do my own maintenance however and one of bikes needed a complete strip and rebuild and decided it would be wise to have the correct stand to help the process.

Did not know what to expect for £30, but I was pleasantly surprised. The stand is stable, fully adjustable and has good enough clamp to hold the bike securely without the fear of crushing the carbon! The stand is perhaps not rigid enough to hold the bike still if you are undoing a stubborn bottom bracket, but you can get this started on the ground with no big issue (often better to get the leverage anyway!), and the stand is perfect for the rest.

For a pro bike mechanic, this stand would not cut it, but for your club racer using a stand to clean and do the odd bit of maintenance, does exactly what it needs to do.
on 23 June 2014
I ordered this stand on the strength of the reviews here. I can say that this stand is a genuine surprise and delight. It is sturdy and strong and does the job admirably. No more turning bikes up side down. No more crouching down to adjust brakes and align wheels. Everything can be done at eye level. The tool tray has a handy magnet in it so that nuts and bolts won't leap out. The clamps that hold the bike and adjust the height of the stand have simple cam lever tighteners. If you need a more permanent and stable installation you can even screw the feet to the floor, but this is not necessary for occasional use. The biggest delight is of course the price - even at twice this price it could still be regarded as value for money in my opinion. An ideal gift for any cycling enthusiast.
on 13 June 2013
What a shame; it seemed like a good piece of kit with plenty of adjustment but is let down by an inherent weakness involving the main support tube. The main tube sits in a plastic ring attached to the "restrictor" at the base of each leg and it is this ring that fails so that the main tube slips through. It means that the main support tube rests on the ground and this upsets the stability of the stand. I had three stands delivered and each one arrived with the plastic ring sheared off.
on 5 February 2015
i looked at many different makes of repair stands and this is not only the best price but also the best quailty. As with other reviews i find this product easy to set up and use . i found no problems with it dipping when loaded ,in fact it's very stable and easy to clamp the bike . adjusting the stand is also very easy and the clamps dont have to be overly tight to keep the whole thing steady. the front wheel brace is handy when working on the front end . with this removed the whole stand packs down to a very small foot print quickly and with little effort. the tool tray with its magnetic strip is a nice touch , any job is so much easier to do even cleaning the bike is better when its secure and you can see where the dirt is . At this price it really is a no brainer .
on 27 September 2015
put 3 bikes through the stand today - a child's 26" wheel bike, an adult 700 hybrid and a 22kg electric bike

they all have very different mounting points, to say the least, yet the stand coped with each one admirably and reassuringly

very happy

UPDATE AT 6 MONTHS

we're nearly 6 months in now and I'm regularly doing maintenance to an electric bike, which is at the upper end of the weight limit.

The stand works well and easily changes between the electric bike and my hybrid.

It is really sturdy and very adjustable which makes keeping the bikes in tip top condition relatively easy!

very much recommended - no signs of strain or wear to any of the fixings/fastening points - all good here!
on 14 March 2015
Well impressed! Solid & sturdy holds my 29er a treat. Absolute bargain!
review image
on 21 June 2015
First impressions are this is a well made bit of kit for the money, the weight alone will surprise you with the easy collapse function and quick release clamps makes set up and use a doddle, held my mountain bike no problem and allowed clear access to all those serviceable parts. Only potential weak point is the brace that is supposed to steady the bike once on the frame and is held to both the bike and stand by elasticated straps, to be honest I found this a bit fiddly to get it to hold properly, probably me but couldn't really get it to sit right, will have to relook at this to see if I'm missing something. Otherwise great tool and easily stored once collapsed would recommend if you need a good quality sturdy and well priced stand.
on 10 June 2013
I bought this stand as I just ordered a carbon framed road bike from Germany and some assembly would be required. I also have a couple of other bikes and my wife and daughter have bikes. I decided it was time I learnt how to maintain bikes properly to save the cost and hassle of taking them to a local bike shop. The cost of this stand is about the same as a service cost for a bike, so it will pay for itself.

When I did work on my bikes before having the stand I would have them upside down but when they are like this is is not easy to tune the gears, brakes and use heavy wrenches/tools without the bike sliding and tipping on to the floor. Using a stand is much safer and more convenient.

The stand has a tool tray which is very useful to me as I have a habit of putting a tool down and then spending 5 minutes looking for it. Putting them in the tray saves time and grief!

The feet separate quite far and this improves the stability. The central telescopic bar has quite a long travel and this also helps one to find the best working height depending on the bike I am working on, for example my 5 year old's bike can be the same working level as my road or mountain bike. The quick release action on the stand allows for easy storage too.

I have personally recommended this stand to a friend and they are also very pleased with it.

Buy it!