5.0 out of 5 stars Really Impressed!!!
Published on 31 Aug. 2012 by Barry

1.0 out of 5 stars Weak parts
Published 20 months ago by honestone

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Impressed!!!, 31 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Dirty pro tools TM NEW BICYCLE REPAIR WORK STAND NEW DESIGN WITH QUICK RELEASE HANDLE AND CLAMP HOME CYCLE BIKE MECHANICS MOUNTAIN ROAD PROFESSIONAL (Misc.)
I, like Jamie (the other reviewer) also looked around for a while to purchase a repair stand, I have found many on the market ranging from £30 to well over £100, but this one looked good enough for what I wanted... so I committed and purchased this stand. After I ordered this stand I was in the local cycle shop and happen to see one in there for £120 that looked great, very sturdy, thick and solid, I did think that when mine came it would be flimsy in comparison :-(... but to my surprise, when it came it looked just as good, if not better - quick and easy to assemble and very strong and sturdy - quick release clamps make it easy to change bike/height/position etc, the added bonus is the connector between pole and handlebars - stops the front wheel moving, not all have this. Folds away to be easily stored as well.

Overall a great piece of kit for only £40 - really impressed with this product, if you are looking to buy a repair stand then look no further - this is great value for money.

Also - quick delivery and well packaged.

Do it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best purchase I've ever made..., 29 Nov. 2014
... possibly as I've only had it a few days so how well it will last is to be seen.

Why is it so good? I hear you ask - lets start from the beginning:

Ordering - Upon ordering I received updates via email at all relevant points, letting me know exactly what was going on and when I could expect my order. On the day of delivery I even got an update with a one hour time window - fantastic!

The product - this is really robust, far more so than I was expecting. The build is good, everything fits well together and it was set up in a couple of minutes. The only bit that took a little longer than expected (and still does) is sliding the legs out, it's easy but due to the nature of it not that easy..if you're with me. The quick release clamps are great and the one on the actual bike clamp is fantastic, spring loaded and strong with a lot of leverage so easy to use. I use it to hold the bike by the saddle stem and it works brilliantly, the bike does lean slightly (I guess the bigger & heavier the bike is the more pronounced this would be) but it's not a problem and still easy to work on.

The tool tray, although mostly plastic, has a magnetic section too so little screws can be put there to insure you don't loose them. There is also ample space for other tools as well, with slots/holes to pop screw drivers through etc.

Totally love it, very very pleased and have recommended it to many cycling friends already.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says for the price., 9 Jun. 2013
Product was delivered within a week, very well packed, external protective box around internal product box. Solid heavy tubes form the main frame and the feet are easily deployed, like a lunar lander with smaller plastic stabilisers on their ends - these include pre-drilled holes that would allow you to secure it to a shed floor or similar. However, at full spread the whole stand is very stable I found. The centre extendable height adjustable tube is coated in a slippery finish which helps elevate it easily to required operating height without much effort, nice. Clamp is solid, despite being an ABS type plastic, though I can't vouch for eventual 'brittleness' that plastic sometimes suffers over time and temperature changes, but you could probably rig up a similar bracket to keep this stand on the road for years to come. The cross bar that actually holds the bike at right angles is a similar diameter tube to the centre brace, again easily adjusted for distance from the centre tube, but I would like to have seen an additional cross brace somewhere as the tube does drop a little when a bike is mounted in the clamp, my girlfriends MTB weighs about 18kg and even after tightening bracket Allen bolts the drop was evident, a brace reaching further out from the centre tube to provide additional rigidity would have kept the bike totally level/vertical to the centre tube, but it's not a big problem. I just feel right angled strain on just one plastic T-shaped clamp may over time break through stress fracture, even a second Allen bolt on the sleeve securing the T-clamp to the top of the centre tube would have helped distribute the load better. As I say these are minor points, most are solvable with some extra third party screws and brackets for the long term. Putting the bike up and onto the bracket/clamp does take some strength with a 18kg bike, 2 people are better, one to hold the bike in the clamp, the other to secure the clamp, but it is possible to do, if you are reasonable strong. Securing it in the clamp and winding it up by a crank to the operating maintenance height would be ideal, but then this stand is under £40, so can't complain. Overall it's well built, easy to assemble, deploy and use. I would recommend it on that basis against it's great price. Adjusting gears, brakes and general cleaning and maintenance are a breeze now!

5.0 out of 5 stars fine for traditional ladies stepthrough bicycle !!!!, 13 Oct. 2013
I bought this maintenance stand after much research based on price and the wonderful reviews it has recieved.
The item arrived quickly and well packaged. Assembly was straightforward and drama free.
This is a well made and thought out product that is well up to its job, I have read some criticism of the quality of some of the components and all I can say I dont have any issues with the quality of the materials used in any of the components used, yes there is a lot of plastic but it appears to be very strong and well designed where it is used.
There are five cycles in regular use in our household and general maintenance is now a pleasure using this stand.
At least one reviewer has complained that this stand is no good for traditional ladies stepthrough bikes, I have not found this to be the case!
My partner has a bronx londoner which is the heaviest bike in the household with a hefty steel curved stepthrough frame. I have to admit that at first I thought it would not be possible to safely mount it on this stand!
However I recently had the job of fitting two new tyres and servicing the dum brakes which was nearly impossible to do without a stand. I needn't have worried.the stand safely clamped onto the top rail just in front of the seat tube to achieve a rough balance, and held the bike steady for two and a half hours while I carried out the work!
There is a little flex in the stand when any bike is mounted, this is to be expected and in my opinion is nothing to worry about as long as you have balanced to bike correctly, clamped it properly, and it is on a level surface.
If you need a stand for bike maintenance get this one! For price -v- quality you will not be able to do better...

1.0 out of 5 stars Weak parts, 13 Jun. 2013
What a shame; it seemed like a good piece of kit with plenty of adjustment but is let down by an inherent weakness involving the main support tube. The main tube sits in a plastic ring attached to the "restrictor" at the base of each leg and it is this ring that fails so that the main tube slips through. It means that the main support tube rests on the ground and this upsets the stability of the stand. I had three stands delivered and each one arrived with the plastic ring sheared off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stand, poor quality control, 29 Mar. 2013
Peter Piper - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This product arrived broken. I'll detail the damage and how I fixed it at the end of my review. I think it's worth telling you about the damage/repair as it appears to be a flaw in the design.

If you can get past the design flaw (and I show you how to at the bottom of this review), this is a GREAT bike stand! It's very substantial, and built from powder-coated or painted steel. Parts of it might be powder-coated, but let's call it coated steel.

Assembly is a bit of a pain as there are some tight tolerances, but it all goes together simply enough. You'll need a little strength in your hands to fit everything together though. Once assenbled, it's rock solid and just about perfect. As the legs open, the top collar (where the legs all meet, if you look at the photo) slides down, eventually encountering a machined stop in the centre column, so you can't over-extend the legs. The stand in the photo doesn't have the legs open at their fullest extent, they open wider than that when at the stop and make the stand really stable.

As the tolerances between moving componants are fairly tight, there is not too much for the quick-release clamps to do, so they work very well, locking the stand at the desired height. The top arm is a little like a crane, and holds the bike securely. Note that you put the fixed half of the clamp jaws at the bottom, and the moving quick release part at the top. This ensures you just lock the bike in place with the moving jaw of quick-release clamp, not support the weight of the bike. I'm 6'4" and this stand extends to a little taller than me, so I assure you it will hold your bike as high as you need.

There's a tray with a magnetic strip provided that you can fit, which is handy.
It's a great stand and I can see me using it a lot, and it lasting for a long time.

Now, the design flaw: As I mentioned, when you open the stand legs, the top collar slides down, pulled by struts approximately in the middle of each leg, which are all attached to a flanged bottom collar by bolts. The bottom collar is made from what appears to be some sort of theromset plastic, which is hard but a little brittle. The flange on the underside of the collar stops the central column from sliding through the collar and touching the ground. The flange on my stand was broken, so this meant when I opened the legs, the both collars moved on the central column, and the result was instability. Initially I decided to just glue the flange back onto the collar, but I figured sooner or later the column would knock against the flange and just pop it off. So I glued the flange to the collar AND glued the collar to the shaft. I degreased the collar and column, as they were quite oily, then used 24 hour Araldite to glue them and gave it 3 days to ensure it was completely set. (See picture I've uploaded.) This solved the problem nicely. I suspect this stand had been assembled before and that was how the flange became broken.
My gripe is, that as the stand comes disassembled, whoever packed this stand KNEW it was broken when it was shipped. So for that customer contempt, I've dock two stars off the review score.

4.0 out of 5 stars ) Good side is that it's extremely easy to set up, 5 Nov. 2014
Ok...
starting with service - item arrived very quickly with a safe and handy packaging. The quality of item itself might be discussion matter :)
Good side is that it's extremely easy to set up, right after I did hang my bike over it for almost 3 days... was meant to dismount it however had no time to do so... It was very windy but the stand did not even move a bit. Very good if it comes to rotation during servicing.
However, it is not a beautiful as it may seem - I mean the shelf for tools is badly fitted... eventually it broke once I managed to screw it on... The magnet did fall out once I picked hexagonal key (strong, but doesn't sit in too firm), the stand itself is not resistant for weight balance (my bike is DH ready and all I look for is stability in the front (frame heavier at forks) and so the holding arm bends to the side despite precise measure of middle weight point of bike. Some plastic parts falling off the holding arm or the brackets from the mount system not holding properly due to the length of screws.

Over all I think the it deserves for:
- service 5*
- functionality 5*
- durability 5*
- details 3*

Happy to have it handy though, makes life easier :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Arrived broken, but quickly replaced., 10 July 2014
Received the bike stand last week, but it was already broken when I unpacked it. I contacted the seller and they quickly sent a replacement. The stand seems sturdy enough and I am pleased with it. Good product for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is just great, 18 Oct. 2013
I have previously used a friends bike stand which he paid 3 x the price of this one for, and having just taken ownership of a new high end carbon bike wanted a stand of my own. The stand arrived and my friend the sceptic turned up to see what I had got for my 35 pounds. Well even he was impressed. This stand is secure and well made and is even better in his opinion that his own. That for me would have been praise enough but having used the stand now as I am building the new bike I find it excellent- No more bending down and struggling, the little tray is the right size to hold those bits I was always loosing before and it has made maintenance more of a joy and less of a chore. As well as building my own high end bikes on the stand Ive serviced my wife's middle of the road mountain bile and my 7 year old daughters bike too and the stand is as secure and stable with them mounted on it as it is with my super light frame sets. You don't have to pay a fortune to get a really great stand and this is the proof of that

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive at this price, 16 Feb. 2015
Having last year got my first "proper" (i.e. expensive) road bike since I was a teenager I thought I'd better maintain it well. Which meant getting fed up of bending and kneeling down to try and clean and adjust it and still missing stuff. So I budgeted about £100 for a Park Tools / Halfords stand but then saw this for under £30. I read all of the reviews and thought that - even if I didn't like it - for the price it was worth a punt.

I've now used it twice - once for a light carbon road bike and once for an old mountain bike made from girders. I am well impressed. It's stable, easy to use and the quality is way better than I expected for the price. I'm sure it's not as good as the big brands but as long as it holds my bike - which it does - I don't really need it to be made of unobtanium or have self-retracting legs. Recommended.