I’ve been using this dishwasher cleaner for the last 5 years now, having tried cheaper alternatives they don't compare to this one by Finish.

Published 4 months ago by Chris M

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't buy into the hype
I only really use dishwasher cleaners from time to time and I certainly don't do it once a month as advised. In fact my new dishwasher has just reached 1 year old and has never had dishwasher cleaner put through it. So I thought it was about time to do so, not because there was a problem, but only because I am told that I should do it.

The truth of the matter...
Published 14 months ago by SBno1

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't buy into the hype, 9 Dec. 2013
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Finish Dishwasher Cleaner Dual Action Twin Pack (2 x 250 ml) (Grocery)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The truth of the matter is I keep forgetting to use a dishwasher cleaner. It always looks sparkling clean on the inside and the filters are removed and cleaned regularly. The dishes always come out clean and the machine is odour free. I am very skeptical when you see the adverts of dull grey machines with heavily gunge clogged pipes suddenly become bright and shiny with clear pipe work. If the dishwasher cleans grease from the plates, why should it build up in the very pipework that carries the same grease busting cleaning fluids? Then to give you the final frightener you have the "You wouldn't wash your dishes in dirty water" voice-over warning. Well, actually you do, the soapy water is washing over your dirty dishes, cycling around and getting sprayed back onto them - repeatedly, no different to washing several dishes in a bowl of water. The rinsing is what finalizes the clean. So you have to forgive me if I just don't buy into this and question if the whole dishwasher cleaner is a bit of hype to get you to buy something you don't really need or at least don't need to do as often.

That being said, I duly run the cleaner through my machine and let the cycle run. Afterwards my machine looked and smelt no different than it did before I used it. Likewise, my dishes are no different post-cleaner as they were pre-cleaner. My last dishwasher had the occasional cleaner put through it and that lasted 4 years before I replaced it for a larger one. The old one is still working now and is just as effective.

I guess if you live in an area that suffers lime scale it might be something you want to use regularly, otherwise just use an intense 70 degree wash from time to time, that should be enough to clean anything out. I am not saying never use dishwasher cleaner, but ask yourself if you think you need to do it every month as they suggest.

I can't say that this is a bad product, but I can't say that it is going to make a difference to your dishwasher either and the same applies to any dishwasher cleaner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and very effective, my dishwasher does a better job thanks to these, 17 Oct. 2014
Chris M (York) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

The cleaner is exceptionally easy to use, take the plastic sticker protector off the cap, place the cleaner upside down in the bottom rack of your empty dishwasher, then switch the dishwasher on an intensive clean program above 65 degrees Celsius.

I get gleaming results and a pleasant smell every time. I try and use this cleaner monthly and can honestly say I think my dishwasher performs better generally as a result. Would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars but it worked like a dream, 8 July 2014
Was really skeptical about buying this, but it worked like a dream. My dishwasher was a nightmare for little gritty bits that no matter how much we cleaned it kept coming back after a week or so. Since I have used this it has been great for weeks and everything is shiny again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 16 Jan. 2014
B. Smyth "smyth86" (Crawley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There seem to be so many conflicting reports on whether these are even necessary with modern day dishwasher tabs so I was a little skeptical at first.

Before I used this I lifted out the filter of our dishwasher which was surprisingly caked in a thin covering of slimey stuff. I guess this is just build up. I ran the dishwasher cleaner on the hottest, hardest cycle as it suggested. The first thing I noticed when I opened the dishwasher was the smell, it was lovely. All the bits were very cleaned and silver of the door was gleaming. I pulled out the filter again and the slimey stuff had gone. It had done what it said it would.

I give it 4 stars though as I question whether it is really necessary to do this every month, certainly at the cost of them. My initial concerns though were unfounded. For me, it did what it said it would.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not entirely convinced, 18 Dec. 2013
E. L. Wisty "World Domination League" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The instructions with this stipulate that it must be used with a wash of at least 65 Celsius. My dishwasher has settings of 45, 55 and Auto (45-65), the latter varying its temperature based on the dirtiness of the water. One would expect therefore that on the latter setting, since this product is used with an empty washer, that it would run at the lower end of this range. It is not clear why this minimum temperature is required - is it the lowest required to melt the plug and thus allow the cleaning fluid to drain out, or is it the minimum for the fluid to subsequently clean correctly?

On opening afterwards the bottle had been thrown out of the slot by the force of the cleaning jets and upended. It was full of fluid which was slightly bluish tinged, so it seems that most but not quite all of the fluid had been released. If this upending had happened earlier then obviously much less of the fluid would have been released, which gives me some concerns about this. The bottle is way too big to put securely in the cutlery basket.

As to the cleaning effectiveness, well frankly it's hard to tell how effective it has been without taking the machine apart. It didn't appear to be any cleaner than after using other cheaper tablet based dishwasher cleaners I have used. One thing of possible significance I did notice however is that on first wash after using this cleaner, food containers which I regular clean in the dishwasher and which never come out dry were perfectly dry this time. Was the drying cycle more efficient from being clean? However on the second wash afterwards, it was business as usual. Does this indicate that the cleanness only lasts for one wash?

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to do a good job with regular use, 20 Feb. 2014
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received these free through the Amazon Vine review programme.

And if I'm truthful, felt a little bit guilty about doing so: we use these on a regular basis. Though, to be fair, had they not been supplied to Amazon as review freebies, I would almost certainly never have thought about reviewing them!

We use several different kinds of dishwasher tablets: Fairy capsules, Finish Powerball tablets and Finish Quantum. All work well, and leave dishes shiny for weeks on end. You get the occasional blip - for instance WHY do so many dishwashers grossly underestimate the amount of rinse aid that's needed such that if you don't top it up frequently you get a bad wash where nasty residue is left all over the surface of washed items BEFORE the rinse aid light comes on???! (I haven't yet encountered a dishwasher that gives the rinse aid warning at the right time!) - but generally-speaking everything works nicely for weeks. And then suddenly the dishwasher smells stale when you open it.

These dishwasher cleaning doses improve the smell of our dishwasher, and (used in conjunction with good-quality cleaning products) seem to keep it working well. We live in a hard water area, so limescale is a problem... yet our Miele dishwasher is still going strong (touch wood!) at around 9 years after purchase. The product is very easy to use: take off lid, invert the bottle and put it in the bottom of an empty dishwasher for one reasonably hot wash cycle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply The Best, 15 Jan. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whenever we go on a self catering holiday we take one of these little gems.

The delivery system is safe and simple, it doesn't split or spill in transit, and it is the most effective cleaner for grotty dishwashers that we know.

All you do is stand it up in an empty dishwasher, run as normal, and discard (or recycle) the empty bottle when finished. No mess, no residue, just a clean and grime free dishwasher.

At home we use one very 4-6 weeks just to ensure there is no build up.

It's a kitchen staple for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 25 Sept. 2014
David P (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I regularly clean the filter on our dishwasher, but the machine still needs a thorough clean about once a month to eliminate that horrible musty smell that can develop and then seems to cling to everything that comes out, especially glasses. I have tried several cleaners, but I always come back to this one. It certainly isn't cheap, but it works, and it works well. it is pointless saving money on cheaper alternatives if the machine still isn't clean afterwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars So fresh, so clean, 29 Dec. 2013
Rachael (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When you get a dishwasher, it's recommended that, along with salt and rinse aid, that occasionally you should put a cleaner in it too. You slot this block in an empty dishwasher, peel back the sticker, making sure you don't put anything else in the dishwasher, before running it on a full cycle. The cleaner cleans everything in the dishwasher - the pipes, shelves, anything that can be cleaned will be cleaned, and it does a fantastic job of it. We were chuffed with how shiny everything was afterwards and how much residue was removed. The dishwasher smelt better too. (I know, weird thing to say.) Don't forget you also get two of these! So it's a bargain, and you'll have a clean dishwasher to show for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dish washer, 24 Feb. 2014
Husband will only use this product as he says it is the best .
he has tried other products but they do not do the job ,