VINE VOICEon 16 January 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )Verified Purchase
There seem to be so many conflicting reports on whether these are even necessary with modern day dishwasher tabs so I was a little skeptical at first.

Before I used this I lifted out the filter of our dishwasher which was surprisingly caked in a thin covering of slimey stuff. I guess this is just build up. I ran the dishwasher cleaner on the hottest, hardest cycle as it suggested. The first thing I noticed when I opened the dishwasher was the smell, it was lovely. All the bits were very cleaned and silver of the door was gleaming. I pulled out the filter again and the slimey stuff had gone. It had done what it said it would.

I give it 4 stars though as I question whether it is really necessary to do this every month, certainly at the cost of them. My initial concerns though were unfounded. For me, it did what it said it would.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 December 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This cleaner consists of a neat, narrow bottle that sits upside down in your plate rack. You put the machine on a wash (over 65º) and it cleans the machine. As far as I can tell, it does the job well - the machine certainly does smell fresh afterwards.

This product does, in fact, offer two functions. One (and the crucial one) is as a descaler to eliminate limescale (probably using citric or sulfamic acid). The second function is as a degreaser (basically a detergent) - something you could imitate by running the dishwasher empty but with a dishwasher tablet in on a hot wash (does this degrease better? Perhaps, but I really can't tell). (By the way, for general descaling purposes on kettles and coffee makers I'd recommend citric acid, the basis of many proprietary products, which you can buy very cheaply in bulk).

The phrases 'as far as I can tell' and 'perhaps...' above indicates what makes this review difficult. Certainly if you live in a hard-water area like London, limescale will build up quickly and this does waste energy and will eventually bring many machines to a halt. So descaling is a very good idea, but how can you tell how often you should descale and whether it has worked? That is the problem.

All in all, this is a good product. How often you need to use is and whether is works better or worse than alternatives is difficult to evaluate, but I don't think you'd go wrong by using this product once a month so, on that basis, I'd recommend it.
on 8 July 2014
Was really skeptical about buying this, but it worked like a dream. My dishwasher was a nightmare for little gritty bits that no matter how much we cleaned it kept coming back after a week or so. Since I have used this it has been great for weeks and everything is shiny again!
on 16 January 2014
My hotpoint dish washer can't perform as usual, keeping showing AL10 errod code and stop in the half, and left the detergent undissolved. Instead of calling the engineer or replace it, I decided to go the last try before turning her over. Ordered this product, and comes with 2x PACK. Tried first one, then do the dishes wash, still AL10 error, tried 2nd pack straight away, then do the dishes wash again, guess what, the AL10 code not showing anymore, thought just lucky, so tried 10 washes since and the error not showing again, and the dishes are sparkling as new. All in all, this product did it should do but may require do it regularly rather than when machine not working. Not 5 star due to I needed two instead of one cleaner to fix the problems.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Popped one of these into my dishwasher and was pleasantly surprised! My dishwasher is fairly new anyway so wasn't really expecting a difference but there was a clear change in the inside of my washer. I don't know what happened but it was like someone had 'waxed' the metalwork inside the machine. What had appeared to be dull and 'normal' was all nice and shiny. I'm not sure if this carried all the way through to de-scaling the limescale or similar but certainly from what I could see it did a great job. The smell was quite good as well. Not that my machine smelt bad ... just it now smelled better. So would I recommend it? YES!
VINE VOICEon 15 January 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Disaster struck last week. Our dishwasher flooded (anti flood my eye!) After an excruciating 4 days with no dishwasher (I will never complain about stacking again) the repair man came out. He repaired the dishwasher (piece of plastic lid in pump) and declared it...and I quote.... "unfeasibly clean". He asked us what our secret was.....and it's this! I must confess to using one every 3-4 months - certainly not monthly, as required - but it must be doing the trick. We live in a very hard water area so I was amazed to be told there was "virtually no build up whatsoever". Thoroughly recommended.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Our dishwasher is fairly clean most of the time but it does need a freshening up from time to time and that is where this item comes in. It descales and degreases and if you want to open one you can use the solution to clean the door seal' personally i use a little bleach on kitchen roll to achieve the same result, but always ensure that I wipe it several times afterwards with a moist cloth to remove the excess as I fear it will over time damage the seal.

So how does this Finish product perform? As far as I can tell it does a good job. You remove the cap, peel off a sticker and place the bottle spout side down in the lower cage. Set the machine temperature for 65 degrees plus (I used the intensive symbol for pans on my Bosch machine) set off the programme and a couple of hours later, after the cycle had finished removed the empty bottle. It did seem very clean inside my machine and the spray arms seemed free of any debris. Perhaps the main thing was it had that undertone, similar to rotten eggs which came through despite the perfume of the product to suggest that it had been descaling the machine. So it does seem to do exactly what it states.

So why 4 stars and not 5? Price, pure and simple. It isn't that cheap and there are cheaper products available which do the same job at a third of the price; these may not be quite as good, but if you are cleaning your machine every month as what this and the cheaper product suggest, I feel that I would trial the cheaper product to see if that worked. It did for me and therefore after I have used the second of this pack, I will be back to my Sainsbury dishwasher cleaner.
VINE VOICEon 15 January 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Whenever we go on a self catering holiday we take one of these little gems.

The delivery system is safe and simple, it doesn't split or spill in transit, and it is the most effective cleaner for grotty dishwashers that we know.

All you do is stand it up in an empty dishwasher, run as normal, and discard (or recycle) the empty bottle when finished. No mess, no residue, just a clean and grime free dishwasher.

At home we use one very 4-6 weeks just to ensure there is no build up.

It's a kitchen staple for us.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
You'd think that a device that cleans itself every time you use it wouldn't need any extra cleaning, right? Well, apparently that's not the case as washing dishes might leave the visible parts of your dishwasher sparkling but the chemicals used don't do much for its valuable internals, the bits that matter. The residue from foods can cling to a dishwasher's insides, adding to the problems, while limescale build-up (if not treated) can apparently be as damaging.

Using the cleaner is simply a matter of peeling off the label on top of the bottle cap, placing the bottle upside-down in the dishwasher, then running a standard wash programme with a temperature of at least 65 degrees. The heat from the water unseals the retaining bung inside the cap, allowing the liquid out to do its stuff. Giving your dishwasher a clean on a hot cycle is a good idea anyway, and this goes for washing machines as well, but what Finish won't do is to get rid of any muck that builds up in the trap, so regular cleaning-out is still a must.

I've been using Finish's dual-action dishwasher cleaner on-and-off for a few years and it appears to be working well; I say 'appears' because after a wash my dishwasher always looks clean, or at least the bits I can see do. I'm assuming that the stuff is cleaning and protecting the internals but without taking my dishwasher apart I guess I'll never really know.
on 4 December 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having had my lovely AEG dishwasher for about 7 years now I must confess I have never really thought about using a specific cleaner. I have run it on empty - parhaps once a year and emptied out the filter bit but beyond this I hadn't really done much.

Had seen these in the supermarket before but never purchased as wasn't really sure whether it was necessary....

So this claims to beak down any grease build up and make sure your machine stays in tip top shape. The advice is to use one per month but I'm thinking maybe this is excessive- I'd have to get the feedback from a dishwasher engineer to figure out whether this is really useful advice or a marketing stragtegy!

Anyway, pack come with 2 packs, its extremely simple to use - just peel off the sticky top, turn the pod upside down and place in your dishwasher. Run on a high temp setting.

I have to say as I was intrigued I opened the door mid cycle to have a peek - and it was lovely and all lathery inside, and the smell was very good.

Afterwards the machine did look shinier and smell much fresher so I think something good happened!

The next load of dishes pretty much looked the same, so not sure it had any direct effect on that!

I liked this and will buy it again, but probably every few months rather than every month....