5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted
I have been using this phone for the last three months so though I would share my opinion.

This phone does exactly what I need it to pretty much flawlessly.

Published 21 months ago by Mr. A. Joseph

1.0 out of 5 stars Phone is great - it is the way it is sold
I really really wanted this phone and waited ages to get it.

I placed an order and the phone arrived promptly, however being a Symbian user (previously had an N8) I know there were things not there, like the FM transmitter. On further investigation I discovered it was a phone for the Chinese market and had no UK warranty.

I contacted Amazon who...
Published 17 months ago by simon hubbard

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, 14 Dec 2012

This phone does exactly what I need it to pretty much flawlessly.

As a camera which I will always have with me it has allowed me to capture photos and videos with quite amazing sound which I would have otherwise missed since I don't walk around with my Dslr.

If you want a gaming machine or a general app consumer, this phone is not for you, personally I have a tablet for doing those things. If you want the ability to be truly creative with your photos (not using strange retro filters) then this is the phone you want.

I am incredibly pleased with my purchase and would only consider buying a phone which had a better camera than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grey market phone with no UK warranty, 3 Nov 2012
The Nokia 808 is a fantastic phone. Unfortunalely, this review can't be about the Nokia 808.
In september, I decided to buy the 808 after reading about it's outstanding camera. After going to Nokia's UK official web page, I was redirected from there to Amazon UK. The default Amazon page showed a Nokia 808 sold through a company called TF Tradefs & DGS Group, UK Sim-Free Phone. Amazon claims this on it's page: "What is a UK Sim-Free Phone? The product will come fully sealed with a UK plug/plug adapter inside the box. It will have a manufacturer's warranty that is valid in the UK. It will not have a network logo or have previously been locked to any network. It will be the manufacturer's specification for the UK; e.g. it will have a UK keyboard/touchscreen keyboard". I went ahead and ordered the Nokia, which was delivered on due time. Once I switched on the phone for the first time, I had to go through the normal language, time and location settings. It showed a choice of various Asian languages plus English, which is the one I needed. The maps loaded by default were Asian too, so I downloaded the United Kingdom one. I never thought there was anything wrong about these settings, perhaps the phone is manufactured in Asia and shipped by nokia to the UK with an English keyboard and UK warranty. In fact, didn't I follow from beginning to end the official channels: Nokia GB to Amazon UK? Well, I was mistaken, only I realized that weeks later.
My SIM card holder came off, so I went to a Nokia Care Center in London. Once there, the engineer checked my warranty using the IMEI code, and discovered the phone had a Malaysian warranty, so Nokia couldn't service the phone in the UK. Even after I offered paying for the repair. Thereafter, the phone has been returned to the seller and I have contacted Amazon several times asking them for a replacement honouring the price I paid originally, as the seller has decided to process a refund, which I'm still waiting to receive after over two weeks. I believe Amazon holds some responsability for advertising a Malaysian phone as a UK phone in their default page, making it look official and trustworthy. Even though this phone wasn't sold by Amazon, the marketplace seller is given the main display page that appears as a link from Nokia UK. I think this is utterly misleading.
Currently, the seller seems to be a different company. If you intend to buy this phone through Amazon, be aware it might not be what you expect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably happy, good phone overall, 26 April 2013
The phone arrived in good time and I really like it.

Negatives are: there is no warranty so I couldnt register it with Nokia Care. Because this phone wasnt on contract anywhere I couldnt get any help from my contract supplier to explain why the internet wouldnt work on my phone, I couldnt get Nokia Care to help because my phones IMEI number is not registered with them due to the warranty issue. To get your phone set up for internet is pretty complicated for the lay-person and although I got it to work by accident I still can't email pictures and when I MMS a picture I seem to get charged a lot by my contract company. I have downloaded configuration SMS messages from my mobile line supplier but doesnt seem to make any difference.

The phone is outdated, well the software is but thats ok with me. I love the look of the phone, the software, the usability and of course the camera is AMAZING !!!! and that alone for me is enough, I dont really care about apps etc that much.

Overall the phone is great but if you are like me and not too savvy when it comes to technical stuff then getting some things like internet, connectivity etc set up ok will be a real pain for you. One or 2 ppl I have chatted to on the net havent had any issues so maybe its because they had a decicated mini-sim card in the phone rather than the 'size-adjustable' one I had and whether that made any difference who knows !!

5.0 out of 5 stars My upgrade from Android, 15 July 2012
Mr. K. Joseph (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia 808 PureView Sim Free Mobile Phone - White (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
When I read about the phone way back in Feb I was very interested in it, but at the same time dismissive because of the name: Nokia.

However, the more I read about it and the more I learnt about Belle, I thought I would give it a go. And boy am I glad that I did.

Although when I first took it out the box and turned it on my heart sank, because I had an awful sense of deja vu, that somehow I was stepping back into the past.

But very quickly these concerns vanished. For example, synching my contacts was the easiest I experienced either on the Android platform or the IOS. Within about 3 mins of un-boxing the phone I had all my contacts synched and my email set up. Now bear in my mind,my last Symbian phone was the 'Matrix' style one. Very impressive, without having to read the user guide.

Equally easy was setting up a wi-fi connection and transferring my songs. I kid you not it was hassle free as doing the same process on the other two platforms (and I have owned both)

Overall I am impressed with the OS. No it dosen't have the slickness of IOS4 or ICS but I would put it on par of say Gingerbread or the first IOS. It has proved very, very stable and I don't really have any complaints with it. I have all my basic apps covered off. Evernote (tick), Podcast (tick), OneNote (tick), Shazam (tick) and I could go on but you get the drift. No it dosen't have 100 versions of fart apps like Android or IOS but what it does have will get you most of the way there. I do miss my Movies app and one or two other things, but they are things that I can live without.

So how does it better an iphone or S3? Okay here are a few ways. The battery lasts forever. I can play my music in my car through the FM transmitter without getting tangled in cables. I can play video and music from my phone straight to my tv or stereo (no set up required), Nokia Drive is better than Googles offering, Sound quality is amazing (proper sound and not a tinny noise), phone call quality is better, GPS lock happens in seconds. And of course, last but not least an AMAZING CAMERA.

So there you have it. I could have bought an S3 or iphone(or waited for the new one to come out) but I did not want to be a sheeple. Everybody is like lemmings and they repeat bad things about Symbian when they haven't used it or because it dosen't have the latest fart app. I could go, but I think you get the gist that I am a very happy customer at the moment. I live in a house where my family has 2 iphones, S3 and the latest HTC and I do NOT FOR A MINUTE feel that I am missing out. I have a proper phone/convergence device and not some cheapo plastic toy running a gizzillion processors for no good reason other than for marketing purposes.

If only Nokia had the balls to believe in themselves, they would not be in the mess they are in.

In conclusion I would say that the latest crop of Androids and no doubt the next gen iphone are like Russian glamour girls. All pretty and will take your breath away at first sight. But get past that and the novelty soon wears off. The 808 is like Ugly Betty. No oil painting, but you know that every evening you can come home to a cooked dinner and a clean house and she may surprise you just how well she 'scrubs' up. The question is which type of woman do you want in your life?

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok, so it's Symbian. So what, 23 Aug 2012
Beki "beki166" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love this phone. The camera is so good I would run out of superlatives if I even tried to start describing it. I took good pictures on my HTC Desire S, on this I am taking awesome pictures. Not only that but as a woman with eyes that are not as good as they once were I took a close up of the sim card number for the new sim for the phone, zoomed right in, and I could read it as easily as the side of a bus. No blurring, no pixilating, crisp clear numbers. I no longer need to buy myself a magnifying glass. The camera flash is very bright and the camera settings are simple and intuitive. Even a luddite friend was impressed with the ease of use when I insisted he try it. Video recording is simple and the results are really good even in low light. Sound pickup is astoundingly good. The LED light for video in the dark is like a searchlight and the quality is plenty good enough for home use.

Call quality is good. Signal strength is fine. The built-in browser loads fast enough for me on both mobile data stream and on wifi connection. Video playback through the browser is crisp, clear and without stutter on wifi, with really good sound quality over speakers. Headphone sound quality is stunning, as good as my PC with headphones on a discrete soundcard. The keyboard is responsive and switching from portrait to landscape is very fast but not over sensitive. Setup didn't take long, although some of the menu items are a little fiddly and counter intuitive. Setting up a protected wifi connection took a little working out, but was manageable within 5 minutes without resorting to search engines. The handy little wifi widget is a far nicer way of connecting than the menu options on the HTC.

If you loathe the thought of using Symbian, you are going to be predisposed to hating this phone. Give it a fair chance with an open mind. Symbian Belle is not what Windows ME was; it isn't a broken OS. It is just getting old and a little bit tired, no matter how much it dresses itself up. I have had no freezes or crashes in a week of hard use and believe me I've tried to make this thing choke. I've not installed Opera for browsing as yet and the built in browser hasn't let me down. Changing defaults on it was actually far easier than it was when I set up and had a really good play with Nokia Lumia 900 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black and the Lumia 800 and 710 for family members. Among the advantages of this phone is the ease of accessing the phone's internal file structure and being able to remove apps that you don't want. Also it has Flash based video with Adobe Flash Lite, unlike the Nokia Windows phones, just saying. Although that won't be an issue in a year or two with AIR and (allegedly) HTML 5, I have friends with Lumias who are so annoyed by the lack of Adobe Flash video support.

Game choice is limited, looking at some popular sites for purchasing mobile games there isn't all that much that will install and run on this phone. It comes with Angry Birds Magic (demo) and a few others bundled which look and sound ok and are responsive enough in play. Connecting to the Nokia Store also gives a poor selection of uninspiring titles that look like 80s rejects. Angry Birds (FREE) version plays perfectly, but is level limited. Nokia give you the full version of the original Angry Birds for free with a 30 day premium apps download offer with this phone at the moment. Other Symbian Belle users will have to pay. No advert-driven free version for Symbian as there is for Android.

The advantages of a sim free mobile aren't just in the resale value. I have no bloatware preinstalled on this phone to nag at me, like Orange or 02's preinstalled and non removable apps. Overall it really is well worth the pricetag and it isn't just a camera with a phone grafted on, it is a fabulous, fully functional smartphone and to my mind it beats the Nokia Lumia hands down. I've knocked off a star because it's Symbian. I'm biased against it too because of a lack of good games, but not that much that I can't enjoy the phone. I don't believe the Windows phone version of this will be any better if they haven't sorted out Adobe Flash issues for Windows phones and I really don't see that happening any time soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Phone - Terrible Couriers, 26 July 2012
This phone is everything I had hoped for when I bought it. Rugged, quirky, reliable and the photos are out of this world. I don't use many apps other than the stock mail/PIM apps, along with Ovi Maps, and I need a reliable phone for travelling and work. This is it, and I can also record my life and that of those around me with photos and video that finally stand up to viewing on a big screen. I've had many many phones over the years, but none (not even the N8 or the iphone/Galaxy Nexus/SGSIII) can come anywhere near this. They are only suitable for photos you want to post, not keep or print. This is different, so different.

Just a note on delivery - despite being signed up for Amazon prime I only get free first class delivery as I'm in N. Ireland, which is poor enough, but I've learned to live with it for my business needs. However, Amazon sent this using the Home Delivery Network, so I waited an additional 3 days for it, for a phone that cost me nearly £500? That's a bad joke. Items of this value should be next day guaranteed to your door.

Just stick with Royal Mail Amazon, as between City Link and Home Delivery Network it's putting me off buying from here.

4.0 out of 5 stars No Regret, 23 July 2012
The pureview is a beautifully designed phone, which suits me perfectly. The camera, the reason I bought it is fabulous and the video recordings also. Especially sound recordings are phenomenal. I took it to the wickerman festival and am amazed. One can film the stage turn 360 degrees to film the crowd with no loss of quality or volume. Zooming in or out isn't audible either, which was the case with the N8. These features make up for all the other things previous reviewers pointed out: Snailpace server even when using Opera compared to my friends S Note, uploading to facebook is hit and miss, well it is a symbian and although I'm used to it it is a wee bit annoying quite often. To conclude if you want a camera with a phone(calls are great) its brilliant, if you want a smartphone with a camera for snaps get something else or wait till pureview arrives on windows.

1.0 out of 5 stars Phone is great - it is the way it is sold, 11 April 2013
I really really wanted this phone and waited ages to get it.

I contacted Amazon who investigated and I received a refund, some while later Barl Trading told me I had to send the phone back but would have to pay for the postage. After I complained they said they would refund me.

No refund was received so I contacted both the company I had to send the phone to and they said I had to contact the original seller - Barl Trading. I contacted them through the Amazon site and was told they no longer sell on here. So now I have no way of getting my money back, Amazon won't reimburse me and all I now have is a lot of resentment and anger. Plus I had no phone!

I noticed the white version of the phone is still not available, so this practice of bad selling (it would seem) is still going ahead.

I have not mentioned Nokia - who I have been a customer of for nearly 20 years and stayed loyal to throughout their troubled recent history. They play their part in this poor selling practice, I have contacted them but they have not even had the courtesy to answer me.

Not a good experience, from the seller (Barl Trading), from Amazon and from Nokia.

Please make sure you are getting a UK version before you pay any money out and do not be stupid like was and trust anyone when they make promises about refunds, get them to organise their own courier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far more than a superb camera., 2 Dec 2012
Mr. T. A. Maurice "Film Addict" (Essex,England) - See all my reviews
Firstly,while it is fashionable to criticise the 'Bellle' OS as being 'old hat' it does have much to recommend it, as does the accompanying 'Nokia Suite'.
I purchased my 808 from Amazon.de for approximately £362.
On setting up the phone,I was unable to obtain a connection to my Network provider,and eventually ascertained that I had to manually input APN settings for the Network, so anyone buying an 808 from Amazon.de should be prepared for a possible problem.
Subsequent set up was problem free,as was transferring my iTunes media from PC to phone (something which I have not been able to achieve with the Lumia 920).
In use, despite it's thickness, the phone's form factor makes it very comfortable to hold, and use.
The paper spec,especially screen resolution, may seem outdated, but I find the phone very smooth to use.
Additionally,there is the benefit of expanding the memory by way of a micro SD card.
And then we have 'the icing on the cake' which is the superb camera, and it's UI.
Keen photographers will not feel too short changed by the range of user adjustments on offer (again something which cannot be said of the Lumia 920).
However,just setting the camera to 'Automatic' produces excellent photos.
As for video, something I was unaware of until discovering the setting as a preference was that there is an option for video stabilisation.
All in all,the 808 is well worth consideration, especially at Amazon.de's price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Excellent, 9 Sep 2013
I purchased the Nokia 808 Pureview in November 2012, and since then I have been very impressed with it's performance. Of course the camera is the best in any Smartphone, and I've taken some stunning pictues in 'creative' mode, especially close up, and lossless zoom is mind blowing.
Other impressive features - better than expected video/audio recording quality, navigation is easier to use than my in car satnav, email client simple to access, display is bright and clear outdoors in bright sunshine, MP3 player audio quality is the best I've heard, re-charge every two days, fast browsing, feels solid and almost unbreakable.

If you're not worried about downloading hundreds of obscure apps, and the fact the the Belle OS has limited support in the future, then this would make an excellent and practical smartphone.

Only thing that puzzles me is that the price is now over £500, whereas I paid £425 in November...