on 22 March 2013
I'm using this with an iMac running OS X 10.8. I got it because I'm sick of the iMac's slot loading optical drive and the lottery of whether or not disks will eject correctly.

Although the unit is badged as "ultra slim" it's actually the same size as the optical drive cartridges that you get for Windows laptops, but that's not really a problem since it's small enough to sit on the iMac's stand below the screen. And running it all off a single mini USB cable is a bonus.

Very pleased: plugged in the USB and the iMac automatically recognised the device straight away. Disks played immediately with no drama. I had to get the burner software to rescan the available drives to pick up the Samsung unit but, once the drive was recognised, CDs and DVDs burn without any problem.

And at thirtyish quid (delivered) you really can't fault the price.

Recommended.
on 12 February 2013
I brought this for the new imac (late 2012) as I thought the apple SuperDrive was to over priced. This product works great and had no problems with it.
on 20 December 2013
I bought this ultra slim Samsung external DVD drive on a Tuesday and I got it on Friday! Amazon delivery is excellent. The first thought that came to mind when I opened the box was that the product itself is very well built regardless of the housing being plastic. The finish and the weight make the device feel 'premium'. The device is very slim, measuring at 148mm x 14mm x 143mm and weighs 261g. Your laptop/desktop should have at least Mac OS X 10.4.6 and up or Windows XP (SP1) and up; it is advisable for you have at least 2GB of RAM. The device is compatible with USB 2.0/3.0. The device can read DVD Multi Recorder, DVD-RW, DVD+R DL, and CD-RW, etc. The device is also very efficient and fast! DVD-R write 8x, DVD+R DL write 6x, etc. The model I got is the black version (SE-218CB). This external DVD drive works amazingly with my 13" MBA 2013 model. The external DVD drive is so efficient, it only needs one USB plug. I did not need to install any software at all! All I did was plug it in my MBA and away I go watching my favourite films on DVD again.

Given the very competitive price and the high quality of this device, I would give this 4.5/5. I still want Samsung to start using premium materials for its product. Nevertheless, this device is excellent at what it does. SuperDrive is aesthetically amazing but given its sky-high price I would definitely recommend getting the Samsung ultra slim external DVD drive instead. Compact and portable, the SE-218CB makes a superb buddy for MacBook.
on 9 December 2012
I wanted an external disk drive to use with my Macbook Air. After a lot of research I felt that this model offered the most bangs per buck. Not cheap and tacky and not too expensive. It came out well in many independent reviews of drives under £60. The foot print is small and compact and although plastic the case is well made. A real advantage for me is the fact that the USB lead is a single one for both power and data whereas most of the alternatives require 2 USB connections at the computer end (Y cable).

I have used this a few times now and I am very happy with it and certainly recommend this drive to other user Macbook users. It will of course work with PC too. Good value at just over £30.
22 comments27 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 September 2012
It's not the slimmest/thinnest Samsung external DVD writer (148x14x143) but it does the job and is light and compact.
It's powered via its short USB cable which has one of Samsung's tiny micro-connectors at one end (like their Mob phone connectors).
The SE-218 has a slide out disk bay (with a slim manual eject button).
Stated as Win7 & Mac compatible (not tried it with a Mac myself) and comes with Nero 10 Essentials for Windows.
As part of the software install the Nero web-page presents you with options to upgrade but it's not necessary (possibly a bit confusing for some).
on 13 December 2013
Bought this as Mac Book Air (and in fact the majority of Ultrabooks do not have a DVD drive). As it turns out we have only used this external drive occasionally over the last twelve months, which is a good indication of why these drives are no longer built in.
Therefore it lives in a drawer for most of the time and so its slim build is good to save space.

When we do use it it's been great for both playing DVDs and burning backup discs for photos (we're still not embracing the cloud yet!). And it's also nice to get out and plug in a unit that looks and feels good. It is true that the drive only opens, via the open button, when plugged in so make sure you eject discs before unplugging. This is because it takes its power from the USB port, but I view this as an advantage as don't need to have a separate power lead; just the one USB lead/port handles both the data and power.
on 5 September 2013
The lack of DVD drives on modern slimline notebook laptops in not something you notice until you want to rip some old CDs or make a DVD for a relative.

I bought the black version as it was over £10 cheaper than the grey/silver version. The silver version would have matched my Samsung Chronos laptop a lot better, but as it's only for occasional use I didn't see the point.

Worked straight out of the box, and was ripping CDs in a few minutes. I've also tried burning my own DVD and that also worked with no problems. It seems to get detected by various software correctly.

I had one piece of software crash on me which rendered the eject button on the drive inoperative, so this was an opportunity to test the 'emergency' open hole where you insert something like a paper-clip to manually eject the tray.

The design is very slim and lightweight, with the single usb cable providing both power and data, so about as unobtrusive as you can get for an external drive.

A nice discreet and reliable solution for the odd occasion when you need a DVD drive.
on 22 February 2013
Bought this drive specifically to void the gap, specifically the gap left by my new laptops.

I have a fair few computers and a few of the new ones don't have inbuilt DVD drives. I bought this for my 2012 Macbook Pro Retina and it works flawlessly as described, even with DualLayer discs! Also works with my older netbook and find with all of my Dell laptops. What is particularly useful with this product is the fact that it only requires one USB cable. No double ended male connector requiring your laptop to need two side-by-side USB ports, instead this beauty only requires one.

This perfect product has been reliable from day one, making me glad I payed the extra £15 to upgrade from one of those cheapy cheap ones you can find elsewhere on the sight.

All in all, a great looking product which performs just as you would expect it - It is Samsung after all!

Sidenote: The top cover part is plastic, although it may look like aluminium. Build quality has not suffered!
on 13 May 2014
I currently have a MacBook Pro running Mavericks. As everyone will know Apple were amongst the first manufacturers to dispense with the internal Optical drives in order to make the laptops lighter and thinner. To say nothing about their long-term reliability! Whilst I absolutely love the computer I did not see the point of paying over the odds for an Apple branded external optical drive. So I decided to plump for this one. I have not been disappointed. It burns CDs & DVDs easily. It reads CDs and DVDs equally well and it all is powered from the USB lead. The black colour is fine. In fact I can't find fault with it. And - for about £35 - if it does pack up it won't be the end of the world.

Just note that if you want a BluRay reader etc this one won't do.
on 2 January 2013
Only needs 1 USB slot to use unlike older external drives which need 2 to properly power them, this was essential as my ultrabook only has 2 USB slots. Nice size, definitely slim and lightweight anyway, taking up very little space in the laptop bag. Runs DVDs fine but haven't got around to burning any discs but not a big deal nowadays anyway with USB keys being so readily available.