on 3 June 2009
I am really enjoying this book. I'm not working through the exercises religiously, just picking them more or less at random when I have a few spare minutes or feel that my brain is stagnating.

I like to do creative writing so the exercises which generate story ideas are particularly good for me... but I also like the persuasion exercises too.

Using random words and 'forcing' yourself to come up with links or connections or relationships to other concepts, really does jolt you awake and oblige you to think properly. There's no prize for winning so there's no point in cheating: lazy thinking is not as satisfying in these games! When you really concentrate and try to come up with good responses to the little challenges, I've found that you feel clear-headed for the rest of the day.

I recommend this book as a kind of mental pick-me-up for anyone whose job/hobby/life has left them feeling a bit stuck in a rut with their thinking.
on 2 October 2014
This is a great book, to get your mind thinking. It is full of exercises. There are helpful grids full of words (all the exercises are based around random words that you have to work with) but it is difficult to use this on the Kindle as you have to skip through all the puzzles to find the words and then go back into the puzzle you were on. Perhaps they could send an email with all the word grids on it, so you can print them off.
on 17 March 2014
I've read several of de Bono books but this one unfortunately did nothing for me. I bought it thinking it would give me at least a few examples I could easily use in everyday work situations, but it doesn't.

I am sure some people will get value from this book, but it wasn't for me.
on 4 February 2015
Some exercises are truly excellent and throw up many insights and fascinating, unexpected ideas. But many are like 11+ test, and I fail to see how they can produce any results. Also I don't really get why only words are used and not numbers. Some people have problems with words, for example, dyslexia. But I have no doubt that everyone's experience with the exercises will differ, and a new way of thinking about creativity may apply to all who make the effort with this book..
on 30 December 2012
I have read all reviews published on amazon and well... I must say, that many negative feedbacks are from people who are not even trying to be able to be creative.
They are somehow saying it out loud between their lines. They try to make conection between logic and creativity.
Suggest that all exercises are for example for the left side of the brain only.
I can not agree to their point of view in any way. They are making excuses for their laziness and possibly fear of trying something else than what they used to use... and never worked.

This particular book is a great supplement to many other books by Edward de Bono. This is a great supplement or follow up to books which explain the whole bacground of lateral thinking. Of course it can be used effectively without reading any other book by Edward de Bono, but there is a risk of not understanding what is it all about.
Especially it may be difficult to readers funktioning within so called "intelligence trap" and "logic". It may be weird to accept, that in creativity (read: lateral thinking) logic is less welcome during a process but welcome at the end of the process of generating alternatives.

You must read this book. As simply as that. And APPLY EXERCISES EVERY DAY. There is no other way to recognize the real value of this book.
But please- become familiar with the whole concept of lateral thinking.
Just search for Edward de Bono and find over 40 books related to this way of thinking.
"Lateral Thinking", "Serious Creativity", "Six thinking hats" and much more.

I do those exercises EVERY DAY. I have fun with them. My whole business life requires creativity. Edward de Bono, Win Wenger- those guys know the real stuff.
on 22 December 2009
It may seem very strange, but except for the (half) colourful cover, de Bono is not very creative or innovative with this book.
The major problem is that some authors do think everyone has the same representational system and for those who are visual - as I am - all the pages in this book looks like a novell, not a technical book, especially on creativity. It is addressed exclusively to the left side of the brain! What about the other half? (the creative one!).
OK, lets assume that's a problem that no one else has, except me... I read the book, and then what? Must I remember all the exercices or do nothing else but practice them as practice turns into perfection?
Sorry de Bono, I gave 3 stars just because it's a book from you...
My recommendation is for the readers to look deeper into Amazon's vast offer and you'll find lots of most cativating and interesting books on this subject of creativity.
on 15 April 2013
I don't really want to write 19 more words. I think Great would have sufficed. Fish trampoline paint poop tunnel!
on 13 February 2015
A good book and condition was ok. Delivery was as stated. Pleased customer
on 29 December 2009
The exercises were not quite what I had thought they would be. Hoped to be able to use this in school but it is not that useful. Prologue is great though
on 22 February 2014
Item arrived in good order as described and quickly. Don't like the book as much as I thought I would, but that has noting to do with the way it was sold