4.0 out of 5 stars lots of twits and turns
Published 22 months ago by Alice

3.0 out of 5 stars You need to remove yourself from any reality and have your grammatical wits about you
Lets start with the grammar, if this book was proof read then the reader wants sacking. it is full of grammatical mistakes which have not been corrected when I presume it was passed through an OCR device. Also as with all these devices it gets confused! My favourite was " he was all queued up" instead of "he was all clued up"
As to the stories well if you are...
Published 16 months ago by Biblio

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars lots of twits and turns, 15 Jun 2012
This review is from: Sloane Monroe Series Set One: Books 1-3 (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed all three of these books, I read them back to back and thought that each story was able to stand well as an individual book but they also worked as a series. The more I read about Sloane Monroe the more I felt I learned about her; you learn certain things in each book that aren't in the others so the more you read the fuller her character becomes. Sloane was a well written and well developed character who I liked and cared what happened to. Its a good set of books within the detective/murder genre and kept me entertained.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant had me guessing until the end!!, 7 Aug 2012
This review is from: Sloane Monroe Series Set One: Books 1-3 (Kindle Edition)
I have thoroughly enjoyed the way I was drawn into the characters. Sloane Monroe has a talent for solving murders but at times she puts herself in a bit too much danger. I like the way Giovanni comes into her life & her relationship with Maddie and her Westie dog Boo.I don't usually read murder mysteries but loved the way these were written & will be looking for more books from Cheryl Bradshaw.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sloan, 30 July 2012
This review is from: Sloane Monroe Series Set One: Books 1-3 (Kindle Edition)
This is the first time I have read any of Sloan's books. They were a great read, they kept me interested all the way through and when I had come to the end of the first one I could not wait for the next. Definately on my favorite author list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sloane Monroe - PI would be Detective!, 27 Jun 2012
J. C. Beddow "J C Beddow" (Shropshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sloane Monroe Series Set One: Books 1-3 (Kindle Edition)
This trilogy was a deviation from the normal books I read which are primarily forensic in nature as in Patricia Cornwell or Kathy Reichs, but I saw these and thought I would have a change and I wasn't disappointed.

I got into Sloane's character right from the beginning and the way the books are written you become her, her thoughts are yours and you see her world through your eyes. I enjoyed her friendship with Madison, her love of her companion Westie Boo, and the different but continuity of the story lines through all three books.

I have also enjoyed the beginning of the relationship with Giovanni and all the complications that come with it. I like her personality - she is feisty but true and loyal to those she loves, courageous to the point of not realising the danger she puts herself in in each storyline. The only complaint I have is that I couldn't stop reading them and I NEED the next installment.

Anyone who likes detective books will enjoy these, they are not on the scale of Lee Childs' detective, but just as enjoyable as it is different to read about a female private investigator who likes to detect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read but a bit short, 5 Jun 2012
This review is from: Sloane Monroe Series Set One: Books 1-3 (Kindle Edition)
This is a promising start to a series with a well-drawn plot and convincing characters. It's quite reminiscent of the Sue Grafton series. The main problem is that each book is really only a long short story. Each story could easily be stretched into a full length novel and it's a shame the author didn't do this. However, you can feel confidence growing with each book so I'm sure book 4 and onwards will be great. I'm looking forward to them!

5.0 out of 5 stars A damned good read, 21 Sep 2013
T. Hales - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sloane Monroe Series Set One: Books 1-3 (Kindle Edition)
I managed to get this box set when it was going free last year. I didn't expect to get much for nothing! However, having now read all three books, I was wrong. They are a really good read. The character of Sloane Monroe develops well through the books and you learn more and more about her as each plot develops. Each plot is different, although books 2 and 3 are more interesting as they present you with villains transformed by society's ills - you understand why they became maladjusted and almost feel sorry for them. My only concern was the poor editing. On every page the space bar seems to have been forgotten as words sticktogether and full stops are left out However, a small gripe since it doesn't spoil the story.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unrealistic and Unlikeable, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Sloane Monroe Series Set One: Books 1-3 (Kindle Edition)
It's difficult to know quite where to start as there were a number of things I hated about these books. The first was very nearly a did not finish, but I persevered.
Overall I got the feeling that the author was trying to aim for a "hard boiled" meets romantic suspense. Unfortunately it just does not work. Procedurally the books lack much contact with reality; the "heroine" steals evidence, obfuscates the investigation and generally behaves like a prima donna. Unbelievably she seems to be surrounded by people who enable this behaviour.
Characterisation was probably the main reason I disliked the books. Reading the first book, I got the impression of a petulant, emotionally retarded 20-year-old, not something that enables me to have much, if any, empathy for a character. By the 3rd book I realise this woman must be in her mid- to late thirties! Then we have the overbearing, bully of a MCP or the urbane, mafia-type as male leads. This is a woman with apparently astoundingly poor taste in men, but on the other hand I found the romantic elements unbelievable because I couldn't see how any man could stand to be around her for more than 5 minutes.
There are a number of glaring examples of poor proofing throughout the books.
If you can ignore these types of things, then the core of the stories themselves are not too bad

4.0 out of 5 stars I was gripped from the start, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Sloane Monroe Series Set One: Books 1-3 (Kindle Edition)
I have really enjoyed reading the Sloane Monroe series and have now ready 4 of her books one after the other and did not get bored as I usually do when reading books of the same genre one after the other.
I highly recommend for those that enjoy a good crime thriller.

2.0 out of 5 stars Naive, 12 Feb 2013
Cryspalitus (South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sloane Monroe Series Set One: Books 1-3 (Kindle Edition)
I can't believe that I actually bought and downloaded this boxed set. The first story starts off well and then we are introduced to Sloane Monroe, a private investigator brought in by the dead woman's sister. I found Sloane's actions clumsy and risible. In a real life situation she would have had her PI Licence revoked long ago - in fact, I wondered how on earth she got a PI Licence in the first place! I hate not finishing books but I just couldn't take the naivety and her unbelievable actions to solve a crime any longer. Maybe one day I will get round to finishing the first book and then read the other two books but not any time soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value Read, 29 Jan 2013
L. Galloway (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sloane Monroe Series Set One: Books 1-3 (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading these books and found them easy to read whilst still entertaining. I got these 3 books free on my Kindle and so its worth giving them a try.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›