Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 8 July 2012
Ebook: Embrace The Gryphon Series, Book 2
Author : Stacey Rourke
Fiction, Paranormal,
This review may contain spoilers
I was given this by the author for review
Summary: Whether she likes it or not, eighteen year old Celeste Garrett has come to terms with being the Chosen One. She knew having a "normal life" would be tricky, between intense training sessions and epic demonic battles, but she didn't know at what cost it would come. That is, until a dear friend is harmed by the malicious forces hunting her.
Now, she'd like nothing more than to retreat into a hermit lifestyle to prevent anyone else from getting hurt. But startling revelations, amazing new abilities, and mortifying moments in front of insanely hot guys won't allow time for that. Soon, Celeste finds herself surrounded by darkness and wondering who she can trust--if anyone.
The Review
I loved the family dynamic in the first book of the series, The Conduit, in this book we meet them again Celeste, Gabe and Keni, and it's no surprise but well I have to say it again, I loved it in this one too, The siblings got on so much better in this book, which goes to show, they matured abit with all the responsibility they have taken under their wings, We had all the same characters in Embrace as the first one, as well as some new ones, talking of which I loved "The Glee club" right up until near the end, The way they would pop up now and again, kept you on yours toes, I want Caleb, I want to take him home with me, Rowan Mmmm another I could take home with me, Gabe and Keni managed to have ordinary lives with boy friends/girlfriends but poor Celeste, just could not have a normal life, at least for a while, she feels separated from everyone around her, they get on with their lives, but for Celeste, things will never be the same again, This book was intricately weaved, so you never knew who was good and who was bad, with twists and turns in the plot that had me on the edge of my seat, It was so hard to work out until near the end, I Love a good plot line and this definitely had one, infact it had a few, The baddy in this was wicked crazy, definitely a worthwhile villain, I would love to see a little novella with keni's life with Henry and Gabe's life with ? I can't say too much, spoilers and all that. I can't wait for book 3, dying to know what or who, made Celeste scream, I hate cliffhangers, they really make me wanna go and find the author and stand over them until the book is finished, Please hurry up Stacey, I need my fix, I would highly recommend this book to anyone after a great story, 5.5/5 I know it only goes up to 5 but this deserves way more, We want book 3, We want book 3.
on 6 July 2012
I received a copy of this book from the author. She requested a free and honest review.
Embrace by Stacey Rourke
It has been a while since I've read books by a single author back to back. But with Stacey Rourke I made an exception, she needed, and as it turns out deserves readers. So I started with The Conduit, the snappy remarks, the funny one liners etc had me laughing out loud. The story was smashing, so I started on Embrace. Again filled with one liners which had me laughing or at least chuckling, at situations I thought, oh no. Not that. Then.... well then she introduced me, the reader to the GLEE club. What an awesome bunch of confused demons, harmonizing, confused demons, might I add, thus the GLEE club. I have rarely come across a bunch of characters so likable from the very start. They did not play any major role in the book, made a few memorable cameo appearances, tried to kill Celeste etc, but I love, love, love them.
Stacey has an innate ability to pace her story, it is not forced nor is it over though. It seems really to be simply how she writes. It is rare to get a book or books as the case may be, paced so perfectly. The introduction of characters, the fluffing out of their personalities etc seems effortless and fluid. The siblings, not the Glee siblings, the Lets Save the Known World Siblings, are growing up in front of the readers eyes. They are not perfect but are perfect for the story, Celeste, a willful stubborn young woman is sharp tongued but not nearly as sharp witted as her Grams.
The plot of the story, although fantastical, remains logical which for me is always a wonderful plus. I am not sure how many books are planned for the series, but I can already see many a plot twist coming in the future.
Structurally the book is sound. Following a logical plot, the structures flow forth and comforts and ease the reading experience.
I give this book an 8 Da di da di da rating. I adored it and seriously feel that, however good the first book may have been this one far outshone it. Bravo Stacey.
on 17 May 2012
Review 6 out of 5

Eighteen year old Celeste Garrett has to come to terms with being the Chosen One. She knew having a normal life would be tricky, but between the intense training sessions and fighting demons, she didn't realise what it would cost.
She meets two of the hottest men ever. Rowan, the blonde, blue-eyed demon and black-haired, green-eyed Caleb.
However, who can she trust when all is not as it seems?

This is the second book in The Gryphon Series by Stacey Rourke. I have been eagerly awaiting the release of this book since I read the first book, The Conduit. When I started to read this story, I found myself smiling in anticipation! I knew I was going to love this story, and I was right!
Celeste and her siblings, Gabe and Kendall, have been training very hard with their spirit guide, Alaina. Celeste has been shouldering alone the burden of her ex-boyfriend turning to the dark side. She has been trying to come up with a way of rescuing him, with very little success.
Whilst on a girls night out with her friend, Celeste meets five demons that have been sent to kill her. These are the nerdiest demons I've ever read about. I absolutely loved Stacey's descriptions of them! When I read what they called themselves, I laughed out loud!
Celeste's life gets even more complicated with the arrival of Rowan, a rebel demon who is trying to win his freedom. I found his character to be very interesting and full of charisma.
What can I say about Caleb? WOW, HE'S HOT! Hands off girls, he's mine! I love the combination of black hair, green eyes and an Irish brogue! I think if I had to fight Celeste for him though, I would definitely lose! I don't have supernatural powers, so it's an unfair fight to start with!
There are some startling revelations, and a few surprising twists that kept me riveted to the pages. I am now dying to find out what happens in the next book, as Stacey has quite evilly, in my opinion, left me dangling on a knife-edge due to the enigmatic cliff-hanger of an ending! I highly recommend this book, and series, as it is completely unique and a fantastic YA romance/ action adventure!
on 14 May 2012
I was given a copy of this in return for an honest review

Embrace by Stacey Rourke

Embrace follows on the story of The Conduit bringing to life the challenges which come from being The Conduit and holding with you the powers of someone very special...especially when you want to be just a normal girl. It'd be nice to go to work, go to college and date without confronting demons, but for Celeste, that's not possible.

Her brother and sister are able to keep up their normal life (dating people met in The Conduit) but for Celeste, things aren't that easy. Especially now when confronted with the Demon Glee Club. And yes, they do sing well, even performing for Gabe. Rourke has continued on with the puns that make you giggle, the situations that make you wince in sympathy as you watch Celeste trying to be a young woman- even when confronted with demons and a new guy who she really likes.

I love how Rourke continues on with the strong writing that is at once witty and vital to the storyline- even down to a lion wearing boxer shorts! That's a visual you just won't lose very easily, because even a week after reading it, I still occasionally giggle at the thought.

Sibling rivalry, a cheerleading gran and a bird woman all have one thing in common- they can make Celeste's world a nightmare and make her want to groan. She learns more about her powers, the world and the darker world of the Countess- the bigger, badder demon who is trying to take over the world and twist it for her own cruel devices, even taking over the life of someone close to Celeste.

And just who is it leaving these scrolls on Celeste's bed with the very cryptic messages she can't even begin to understand?

Another 4.5/5 for Embrace, as I was disappointed by only one thing- the wait before I can read the next one!
on 16 September 2012
I loved this book and imagined the scenes even when I wasn't reading Embrace. The characters were so believeable when dealing with tween and sibling issues, and the weave of paranormal into their lives was well balanced. The plot and pace of the story was spot-on. The author's hints of sarcasm were well played and had me smiling every time. The story ended on a cliffhanger, and I'm eagerly awaiting for the next instalment in this great series. A wonderful read for ages 14/15 upwards (my opinion only).
on 19 July 2012
the is a book about 2 sisters and there brother and the powers that there get, it was funny in places,this book starts by them getting their powers and how there react to them,
could not put this book down and i had to start the next one straight after
the demons and there black cloud
on 17 August 2013
Absolutely fantastic sequel to The Conduit! I was impressed with the story line in previous book but this instalment has just raised the game. Although this series is primarily aimed at a teenage audience I am really enjoying it and I haven't been a teenager for some years!
The heroine Celeste is still coming to terms with her abilities in this book although both her siblings seem to have adjusted to their 'superpowers' more easily. Charged with protecting the world from demons this cool and funny trio still have time to be teenagers and I love the way the author has written their dialogue. Their banter is hilarious and the situations they find themselves in are just too funny for words. The demons they face are unbelievably gross and just a tad pathetic at times . The siblings don't always come away unscathed from their frequent encounters and that sense of danger adds to the story .
In this tale Celeste meets two very sexy young men and one in particular Caleb most definitely turns her head! Hot sexy guy alert! I think this is for me what raised this book from a good teen read to a really good read. Ms. Rourke has written a very creditable romance that bursts with passion and interest. Nothing is quite what it seems and new characters are not at all what they seem.
This is a fast and fun book to read. I found it almost impossible to put down and will most certainly be reading the next in this amazing fantasy series
I received a free copy of this in exchange for an honest review
A big 5 from me
on 17 July 2013
I'm giving this book 4.5* out of 5 rather than just 4. I really enjoyed Embrace, and maybe even a little more than the first book in the series, The Conduit.

This is tough review to write without including spoilers, but I will do my best! We know that Celeste and her siblings Gabe and Kendall are superheroes, and at the end of The Conduit they had an epic battle that put an end to one big baddie. Of course, the bad guys don't just go away that easily, and that's what keeps the trio busy in Embrace, the second book in the series.

Nothing is quite what it seems in this novel, and Celeste has to work out who to place her trust in. It's not as straightforward as she would have hoped, and she has to go with her gut instinct whilst praying that her special powers don't let her down. Because of this, there were so many twists and turns I certainly didn't have a clue what might happen next! Talk about a page-turner...

One of the best things about this book was the Glee Club--if you've read the book, you'll get what I mean. As with much of this review, I daren't say too much about them, but if you read Embrace and don't find them hilarious you've totally missed the point!

Being the Chosen One is tough, but in this book Celeste finally has a bit of luck. (One word: Caleb.) Rourke manages to shoehorn some sexual tension in amongst the butt-kicking and snappy one liners, and I think this helps to make the book even better than the first.

Add in another cliffhanger ending (and thankfully I already have the third book in the series!) and you have a second fantastic novel in the Gryphon series from Stacey Rourke. Once again, it comes highly recommended from me!

(Free ebook copy received in exchange for an honest review.)
on 12 August 2012
"Seriously! I don't know whether to throw kisses your way or rocks. Just finished Embrace. Loved, loved, loved, but come on - the ending! It's already 11pm here. How on earth can I sleep after that cliff hanger! When do we get the next installment please? I might just pop in excitement! Lol"

Okay, so this is not my usual way to start a review, but this was my immediate response to Stacey Rourke , and I mean immediately after completing Embrace. Maybe it will suffice as a review as it sums up my immediate response? But, hey, what fun would that be, so I'll add just a wee bit more!

Embrace, just like The Conduit, held my attention from the very first page all the way through to the end. There was no secret skimming ahead. I allowed myself to savour ever word, every description, every thought that Stacey put into Celeste's head. And, I enjoyed every minute of it.

We learn that little bit more about the characters and are introduced to some amazing new characters along the way, who no doubt will feature pretty heavily in book three, Sacrifice. I loved the intensity of the relationships, the constant twists and turns as well as the moments that I very loudly went 'ah ha' (there were several!). What I additionally reveled in, was Stacey's wonderful wit that is evident through her characters; it truly helps to shape and personalise her characters, and offered an element of realism which I always marvel at considering the genre.

And finally the ending! You will have read my quoted message involving rocks and kisses. I wish I could say I was exaggerating; however, I am not. A fellow blogger recently referred to Stacey as the 'Cliff-hanger Queen', and indeed she is; however, I now, and from this moment forth will fondly refer to the wonderful Stacey Rourke by the appropriate title 'Evil Genius'. There are no more words...

...Okay just a few more...I wholeheartedly and without reservation rate Embrace 5 twinkling stars!
on 21 October 2012
I was given an e-copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.

Embrace is the second installment to The Gryphon Series. Celeste and her siblings are still trying to embrace this life of being chosen. But unlike Celeste, Gabe and Kendall continue to have a social life. Celeste has withdrawn due to the outcome of her and Alec's relationship. Oh yes, Alec is back! You will see lots of familiar faces, but there are several newbies as well. There is Rowan, who can pretty much make you do whatever he wants you to, yes he is that "bad". Then you have Caleb, who is just lovely, and is beyond bringing the element of surprises. Did I mention he is hot enough to make a girl purr? And then there is the Dark Army Glee Club. Yes, it seems the Dark Army has little bit of everything these days. Needless to say, the gang is in for loads of surprises and obstacles to overcome. Oh, and let's not forget those red ribbon scrolls that keep popping up. Not only do they come in riddles that Celeste don't seem to understand until it is too late, but now they are making her have her doubts on who she can and can't trust. I just hope with the world, and everyone in it. fate in her hands that she makes the right choices.

If you are looking adventure, a little romance, and twist and turns, this is the series for you. A must read that will leave your screaming for more.

Originally posted on The Mystical World of Book Reviews