5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY BRILLIANT!! A GRIPPING THRILLER!!
Published on 8 May 2012 by Cinta Garcia de la Rosa

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea, poorly executed
Published 6 months ago by Amazonian

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY BRILLIANT!! A GRIPPING THRILLER!!, 8 May 2012
This review is from: Dead on Demand (A DCI Morton Crime Novel Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
When I first heard about a novel that was going to be written in a maximum of 90 days, I thought that I definitely would need to read that book. My curiosity is huge, especially if the mystery and suspense deal with books. For those people who may think that a novel written in 2 months must be very bad and not worthy of reading I say, you are all wrong. Sean and Daniel Campbell have proved that it is possible to write a very clever, thrilling, and gripping thriller in such a short notice. Written by two different writers, you don't notice the change of writer. The language and style used are professional and very accurate for the kind of novel chosen. The story flows so easily that it is impossible to put the book down. I read it in 3 days (or 3 nights).

About the plot, it is quite original and clever. The main protagonist, Edwin Murphy, has the kind of perfect life that everybody could dream, till he discovers his wife wants to divorce him and leave the country with their daughter. He will plan a very complex plan to kill his wife and, in that way, recover the control of his life. But becoming a murderer is not that easy, and that's how his plan becomes more and more complicated. Is it possible to be a serial killer in the distance? How can the police, with David Morton on the lead, discover what is going on in the streets of London, where they are finding more and more dead bodies? Read this book and follow the steps the police follows to try to solve the mystery.

Lots of different characters in this novel, but every one of them has a very well developed personality, so you feel them quite real. You can pity them, be angry at them, and even take sides. This book will take you in a gripping journey throughout the darkest side of London and its inhabitants.

Highly recommendable. The perfect read for every occasion.

4.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent page turner, 26 Jun 2012
J. A. Court "THEGRINCH" (Poole, UK) - See all my reviews
A great first novel, which immerses the reader immediately into a story which races along at a great pace.
With an early resemblance to Strangers On A Train, what unfolds is an intelligent narrative, which contains twists and turns galore, but never becomes over complicated.
I liked it, and have no hesitation in recommending this book. Give it a try it won't disappoint.
Finally, if there is any justice in the world Inspector David Morton will be investigating a few more cases before he retires...!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleverly written...multitude of twists and turns!, 31 July 2013
Dodester (Central Florida) - See all my reviews
A cleverly written story with a multitude of twists and turns, DEAD ON DEMAND is not the usual murder-for-hire, figure-out-who-done-it thriller. This fact alone makes the read a fascinating one.
Edwin Murphy has lost his job; his wife is filing for divorce and moving to New York with their daughter. The scheme that he configures to solve this dilemma is an ingenious one, or so he thinks. Edwin didn't count on a mere Chief Inspector being first-rate enough to follow the trail of seeming unlinked murders, the subterfuge used to hide his identity as the chief manipulator.
The Campbell brothers were ingenious in their ability to weave such a convoluted plot of murder, one that is convincing. I particularly enjoyed the authors' development of each character, portraying their idiosyncrasies and the circumstances in their lives that lead each to make a choice to murder.
As the story continued to add even more well-crafted twists, I gave up on configuring if, or how, Edwin would get away with his manipulations. Instead, I simply gave rein to the authors' well-crafted abilities to lead me towards an unexpected climax.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent and readable at the same time, 9 May 2012
I was understandably dubious about the '90 Day novel' challenge behind this, but its the best £2 i've spent this year; its realistic without being gratuitous and in that respect its more like John Le Carre rather than a Rebus.

Such is the skill of the novel that actually its the other victims of the novel you'll feel for. Edwin Murphy is too ambiguous a character and squanders the reader's good will, but in the people drawn into his scheme to get away with murder we see the reflections of societal archetypes and those that, one way or another, the world has failed. If good writing is meant to make you think (never mind the twist at the end) then this definitely did the business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got me reading again, 9 Sep 2012
I have not picked up and read a complete book for 15 years or so but read this in a day as it gripped me from the start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and gripping to the very end!, 10 May 2012
I absolutely loved Dead on Demand! I was a bit hesitant at first about reading it because I'm not a big fan of crime novels and thrillers. But once I started reading it, I just didn't want to stop! Every page was a nail biter and had me yelling "I don't want to stop reading but I really need to go pee!" repeatedly. I highly recommend getting a copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb first novel!, 23 Aug 2012
OK so Daniel this is for you! I'm a teacher at Daniel's school and I spoke to him today about the book when he was picking up his GCSE results. He was trying to flog me a signed copy so I thought the least I could do was to leave a review as I enjoyed it so much!

I first heard about the book in our Year 11 presentation assembly and ordered it on Kindle as soon as I got home. I thought I would support one of our students in their first book as he's such a nice young man! I'm a fan of crime and thrillers anyway so thought I'd give it a go. To be honest I would have read it no matter what it was like as I think it's important to support the students in their ambitions. I can assure you that this review is not biased, as had I not liked it I wouldn't have left a review!

I was pleasantly surprised and impressed! When I heard how quickly it had been written I was wondering about the quality, but I have to say that the plot and composition is far better than some of the other books of the same genre I have read by much more established and experienced authors!

Once I started reading I couldn't put it down! There are a lot of characters involved and the story weaves all of their lives together in a very clever way. Coming from Portsmouth I could really picture the scenes based in the area. The twists and turns really kept me gripped! I don't want to spoil it but it kept me on my toes until the very end!

I was so impressed that I told all my friends and colleagues to download it too! It is so refreshing to see a young man of Daniel's age so determined to succeed and I am looking forward to the next book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea, poorly executed, 10 Jun 2014
Amazonian "Badger" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
The idea of two strangers killing each others' potential victims so there is no apparent motive to help out the police is not a new one - In 1950 Patricia Highsmith wrote "Strangers on a Train" with just this theme. However, this idea is taken to a new level here with multiple killers, multiple victims and one person manipulating everything for his own benefit, via the "dark net".

This should have been a gripping book, but it wasn't; I barely managed to persevere to the end. It suffers from a multitude of problems which gives the impression that the book was written in a rush and never properly edited.

Briefly, the problems include, but are not limited to:

- poor English (grammar and spelling);
- as presented, an implausible plot (eg. the dark net is used for total anonymity yet everyone seems very easy to track down);
- too complex, with too many characters coming and going (I'm sure even the authors get confused with names at times);
- laughably implausible characters (especially the bigoted trader and the assassin);
- equally laughable scenarios (who would hire a hit man to kill their 4 year old son? and how many assassins carry around a Radar key for disabled toilets just in case it might come in handy?);
- totally unconvincing portrayal of police work (and of married life);
- totally unconvincing dialogue;
- inconsistent story lines (eg. father of 4 year old is ex - Israeli intelligence, trained in same way as Mossad agents, yet we're told later on he's an architect and he can't protect himself from a small - time ex - con when he is attacked);
- unconvincing action scenes;
- too abrupt an ending.

This was hard work and I will not be buying the next book in the series

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick to the cooking not the writing, 18 Sep 2014
I only hope the cooking is better than his writing. It seemed like here were more bodies than the Western Front at times. However my main problem with it is the apparent lack of research done into police procedures in the UK. There were constant referencies to "Deputies" in the environs of Scotland Yard, indeed I was half expecting a Posse to ride their horses up Victoria St to The Yard think that the Author(s) have spent too much time watching American cop shows. and not enough time getting facts right. I thought also that Appelate Court was also a US phrase more used in "Law and Order" than "The Bill". The problem for me is that sloppy research such as this on things that are easily checked makes me wonder how realistic the other stuff in the book is eg all the mentions of the Dark Net. Half expected Luke Skywalker's dad to appear in a haze of smoke! Pity as the story has a very good twist at the end but I'm afraid I will not be reading any subsequent tales in the series

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not enjoy, 9 Mar 2014
Massive plot flaw... ? Flight at 11 but arrested in afternoon..? Didn't enjoy, had no empathy with any character like a lot short stories..